Virus changed hard drive type how to recover?

spaceghostcaver

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi all,

I got a virus or Trojan and when I started to rid my system of it, it changed the parameters on my hard drive. I can see the data is still there with testdisk and copy some of it. But the CHS values are wrong and the partitions are not recognized. The drive is a WD6400AAKS the reported values are CHS 77825 255 63. Does anyone have some suggestions.

TIA

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
grab a live CD of ubuntu or backtrack. then transfer the files by mounting the disk ( should automatically do it, but if not look thru the forums ) from there transfer the files to a second HDD.
if u cant see the disk or partitions for windows then force mount the drive ( try sda1 , sda2, sda3 )
then create a windows directory ( mkdir _____ ). then transfer files via mv _____ or copy with cp ____

and ditto to the post above. theres a reason your computer got a virus, either your ignorant of how to maintain a computer which i doubt seeing as you found yourself a decent HDD. or your looking at things you know you ought not to be.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
The first step with a virus/trojan is to identify what it is/was, it makes the job of removal and repair far easier.

I presume it's a Windows machine (you didn't say), so if TestDisk can't recover the partition data try something like GetDataBack from Runtime.org.

Google is your friend.

Google " wd6400aaks chs values" and you will see a post summary:

"... with non-removable media Model Number: WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B0 Serial ... 16 sectors/track 63 63 -- CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064 LBA ... IORDY(can be disabled) Queue depth: 32 Standby timer values: spec'd ...
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6771129 - 66k - "

And next time, use good anti-virus and fire wall programs.