michaelc

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hey guys, was wondering if you could help me out on a problem i admittadly did myself, i was plugging in a PS/2 Keyboard when i knocked the switch on the back on my IP35 Pro which i later found out was the CMOS reset chip, any how i put it back into place and i tried to restart and i could so i powered off and then turned it on. Greeted by CMOS check sum error and then defaults loaded i press F1 to continue, Verifying DMI pool data then update success it loaded fine into windows yet clock speed of CPU and ram was still the same, i restarted fine and then the clock speed its down to default 2.4ghz Q6600 from 3.3 same with the ram, im totally clueless at the moment and a million thoughts going through my head since i over react to everything :D, is it possible ive damaged anything or just have a corrupt CMOS, or even it just had some teething problems after i hit the switch while the pc was still on and its sorted it self out. Any help would he greatly appreciated thank you!!

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
the CMOS button will set all your bios settings to default, but it's possible your computer remembered them and tried once more to boot with them. Then the next time it defaulted back to its original state for one reason or another (I found it takes a 2nd boot for it to default as well).

If it's not giving you any more errors and you're now able to overclock successfuly, then you have nothing to worry about.

If it's continuing to give errors upon startup then I might be worried.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
What an idiotic design... A Bios reset switch externally accessable? Jeesh. Cats and kids come to mind.

Boots fine? Don't worry too much, you are now back to default. Time to start all over again with whatever OC'ing setups you used to have.

michaelc

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
thanks for the help guys put my mind to rest, everything seems to be working in order OC'd back to the usual and stable im just paranoid when it comes to things i have little knowledge on hehe, thanks again!

kkm557

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
If I were you, I'd clear the CMOS when the computer was off just for safety, but that's just me and I like to be extra carefully.