Help with ideas for school project

fensus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
So heres the deal, I'm in a Computer Systems Technology program and I've been assigned a 3 month Project. I've chosen to do mine on some sort of embeded system. The project has to implement a database of some sort, and be programmed in a language we're learning (java, C, python, etc.. and god help me even assembly). A few examples of what I could do are:

-Some form of weather Station, which would stream data to a database and onto a dynamic website.

-Some sort of Security project. We have all sorts of gadgets to use, like proximity sensors, cameras etc..

-A robot of some design

Basically we just need to come up with an idea of some way to show our programming and problem solving skills, but it still has to be fun and interesting. So i'm basically asking if anyone has any ideas, or gadgets that would suit a project like this. Thanks for the help =)

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I would go for the security cam idea and use the database to cycle through the camera through a standard routine and with triggers. If you have to present see if you can demonstrate with hidden stuff in the classroom. A second option is spy on a pet they can do some crazy stuff when their masters are away. Besides it has lot of practical applications and can be further expanded to link to the web in real-time.

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I recieved a computer science degree from Central Michigan University---I did one of my major projects on Parity--worked well, went through several known checks, in depth analysis of PAR/Par2 and wrote a program to do the checksum of the files.

Learned a lot doing it--you could create a database using the file informaiton and create a program that indexes through the files and compares to the checksum. You could demonstrate your program using data randomly generated by the class and show how the amount of corrupted data that can be salvaged is based on teh total size of the checksum. You could explain how these types of checks could be on a hardware level and software level--you could likely write programs for both and shows the advantages and benefits of these methods.