XP Pro shares not accessible

August 2, 2005 5:39:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have 3 XP Home systems networked together. All can access the drive and
directory shares of each other.

I also have an XP Pro on the same network, and none of the XP Home systems
can access the shares of the XP Pro system. Not even the Shared Documents
folder. While the XP home systems can see the shares in My Network Places,
attempts to access those shares is denied, saying that I may not have
permission and to contact the system administrator.

I've looked at the drive/directory Permissions and Security and can't find
anything obviously wrong.

I also tried enabling Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro system, and same
thing. All of the XP Home systems are denied access to the XP Pro shares.
FYI, after enabling Simple File Sharing, all shares were deleted and
recreated.

FYI, all systems are on SP2, have the XP firewall disabled, and all systems
are using the same identical userid and password.

What do I need to do to allow the XP Home systems to access the shares of
the XP Pro system?

Thanks very much,
Bruce.

More about : pro shares accessible

August 2, 2005 8:50:15 PM

Bruce Chastain wrote:

> I have 3 XP Home systems networked together. All can access the drive
> and directory shares of each other.
>
> I also have an XP Pro on the same network, and none of the XP Home
> systems
> can access the shares of the XP Pro system. Not even the Shared
> Documents
> folder. While the XP home systems can see the shares in My Network
> Places, attempts to access those shares is denied, saying that I may
> not have permission and to contact the system administrator.
>
> I've looked at the drive/directory Permissions and Security and can't
> find anything obviously wrong.
>
> I also tried enabling Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro system, and
> same
> thing. All of the XP Home systems are denied access to the XP Pro
> shares.
> FYI, after enabling Simple File Sharing, all shares were deleted and
> recreated.
>
> FYI, all systems are on SP2, have the XP firewall disabled, and all
> systems are using the same identical userid and password.
>
> What do I need to do to allow the XP Home systems to access the shares
> of the XP Pro system?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Bruce.

All systems should match regarding the Simple File Sharing. Otherwise,
disable Simple File Sharing and create identical user
accounts/passwords on all machines.

You say you have the Windows Firewall disabled; are you sure you don't
have any third-party firewalls on that system? Some sort of "Internet
Worm Protection" firewall like the one that comes with Norton AV?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

news:o ud$uz7lFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You say you have the Windows Firewall disabled; are you sure you don't
> have any third-party firewalls on that system? Some sort of "Internet
> Worm Protection" firewall like the one that comes with Norton AV?

Thanks for your reply Malke. After a lot of searching I found the answer in
the Microsoft Knowledge Base 177078 last night.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078

I had Norton AV installed about a year ago and have since uninstalled it
since, but apparently just installing it screws up the registry in a way
that kills sharing, and has to be fixed manually. Once I did the registry
editing per the article, all the XP Pro shares are now accessable from the
HP Home systems.

Bruce.
Related resources
August 3, 2005 12:15:16 PM

Bruce Chastain wrote:

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
> news:o ud$uz7lFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> You say you have the Windows Firewall disabled; are you sure you
>> don't have any third-party firewalls on that system? Some sort of
>> "Internet Worm Protection" firewall like the one that comes with
>> Norton AV?
>
> Thanks for your reply Malke. After a lot of searching I found the
> answer in the Microsoft Knowledge Base 177078 last night.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078
>
> I had Norton AV installed about a year ago and have since uninstalled
> it since, but apparently just installing it screws up the registry in
> a way
> that kills sharing, and has to be fixed manually. Once I did the
> registry editing per the article, all the XP Pro shares are now
> accessable from the HP Home systems.
>
> Bruce.

Thank you so much for posting the solution. Just another reason to hate
Norton. I'm glad things are working for you now.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:29:14 PM

news:o 1yYBRDmFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thank you so much for posting the solution. Just another reason to hate
> Norton. I'm glad things are working for you now.

Oh absolutely. The reason I uninstalled Norton a year ago was because it
screwed up my Internet access in a very weird way which would take too long
to explain here. Anyway, count me in the Norton Haters club.

Bruce.
August 4, 2005 2:49:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

- Double check that you have no 3rd party firewall running.
- On the XP Pro machines which should be set to Simple File Sharing, run
>net user guest /active:yes to make sure the guest account is enabled.
- If that doesn't help, open a command prompt. From one of the Home
machines try to map to a share on a problem Pro machine with the net
command..
net use \\netname\shaername If this fails, what error code is reported?
--

!