Sign in with
Your question

Built Today, Randomly switches to "no signal" "standy-by". Can u help?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2008 10:24:40 PM

Hey people!

I bought my first home made system and got it home, here is the specs:

* ASUS P5B Socket 775 Core 2 ready P965 chipset
* Intel E2160 Socket 775 Pentium Dual Core 2x1.8Ghz 800FSB
* OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM
* Sony DRU-190S 20X DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA
* Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P
* Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache
* Extra Value Gold 600W 12cm Fan Silent PSU - PFC 20+4pin
* Hannspree XM New York 19" TFT Monitor widescreen 1440x900 700:1 300cd/m2 5ms DVI Speakers Black
* ATI HD 3850 Pro 256MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

I got through the build, turned it on and :D  beep! Then it went on, i installed windows and it came to the display. Being happy with the results over a old skool laptop i decided to install the ATI drivers on the disk... they were installing to a AMD folder which i thought was weird and then it flipped to stand-by.. In the nvidia days it would switch res at that point but it just didnt come on.

After repairing windows it restarted, i downloaded the newest driver from AMD on its own 14mb. It worked but i loaded a game and once the game loads (and sometimes before that). You can hear the power down in the case of something and it switched back to standby... Cutting the power by switch i had to do a 5 second hold so it had frozen.

So has anyone expeirenced this before? Am i doing something wrong? It has 6 pin PSU attached. I got 2 120mm fans on the case too so i dont think it over heats. Processor running at 43c no clocking of anything involved.

Thanks.

More about : built today randomly switches signal standy

March 7, 2008 11:04:10 PM

I'd say you need to ditch that power supply and go with a reputable brand. Your video card pulls more juice in 3D apps which seems to be where your power supply is failing.

Pick up anything between a 380W or 500W Tier Three or better: http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings

I don't think any 600W power supply under $80.00US is even worth a second glance.
March 7, 2008 11:12:03 PM

Update:
During a reinstall of windows, with 18 mins to go i got BSOD

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I appreciate your answer but i have never been a big fan of spending alot on a power supply. I know there is some terrible ones out there for a few notes but i think they all pretty much come as the same product for what they actually do. I think if i was trying to milk a couple of high end cards off it, id go for something with a bit more beef. I think the BSOD sheds more light?
March 7, 2008 11:14:59 PM

Got the same error with mine as the power supply was failing. Try installing again to see if the error message changes multiple times like mine did.
OR..., could be a memory issue too, what is your memory voltage set at currently?

EDIT: and if you think all power supplies are created equal, check out jonnyguru's budget power supply reviews and see how crappy the low-end models are and how prone to failure they are. I wouldn't even let some of these near my clock radio! I will never use a low-end power supply as long as I live.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=71
March 7, 2008 11:33:26 PM

Ahh fair point dude, i do stand corrected.

I have AI tuning and DRAM Freq set to auto..
March 7, 2008 11:35:24 PM

1789592,3,316234 said:
I appreciate your answer but i have never been a big fan of spending alot on a power supply. I know there is some terrible ones out there for a few notes but i think they all pretty much come as the same product for what they actually do.

That is where you are mistaken, and I'm not trying to flame ya or start anything. Depends on what you consider spending alot. There are <$100 units that are very good and some that will start a decent bonfire. This one is a very good deal right now and will work great with your rig.
http://www.buy.com/prod/Corsair-VX-550W-Power-Supply/q/...
March 7, 2008 11:54:45 PM

nah its cool man i dont think ya flamin me!

I suppose its just never occured to me before to look at PSU's probably coz there is never much speak about them to be fair when people are talking about PCs.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119227/show_product_revie...

Im still not sure if i can change my view! A company has released an expensive psu just say... another manufacturer comes along and rips off the design completely with few changes and sells it for cheap without a logo... The same way the most expensive screwdrivers do the same thing as a 99p no branded one... it just does not have the quality or longitivity. But i wouldnt think buying one for $44 should be considered redundant before its installed in a system. Specially a basic one like mine running few components!

:p 
March 8, 2008 12:04:40 AM

Sorry i forgot to say the memory is running at 1.8v but im unsure how change that to 2.1

I remember when buying this ram people said you needed to run it at 2.1 but i dont really know how to do that.
March 8, 2008 12:23:29 AM

You change it bios. You should really check out jonnyguru as mentioned above. There is a difference in power supplies, things such as ripple voltage,and stability just to name a couple. What you are about to do, increase the voltage of your ram is very dependent on the stability of the power supply. The temperature at which the power supply is rated can also be something to consider, if its rated at say 25c and your case is operating at 50c, your not going to get the rated output. I've been building computers for a long time and the 2 things you need are good airflow and stable power. Hope this helps.
March 8, 2008 12:31:20 AM

OK, just checked the link to yours. It rated at 25C so your probably not getting the rated wattage. Also did not see any amp ratings for the rails listed and that could be a factor. I take it you're in the UK, so the buy.com link I gave you will be of no use. Also wanted to comment on "manufacturer's ripping off a design". A lot of power supplies are build by the same OEM's, just to different spes, parts and pieces. I have no idea who the OEM of your unit is, maybe ask that question at jonnyguru. It's the units that aren't made by the rebutable OEM's that you have to watch out for.
!