tikki_timbo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I'm about to get a Plextor PX-850SA. I'm mainly going to be making family videos to DVDs, so I want to get discs that will playback in most DVD players. Does anyone have a list of DVDs that they would recommend using?

For DVD+R I use Verbatim, Sony, and TDK (in order of preference).

For Dual Layer (DL) DVD+R I use Verbatim (2.4x speed) exclusively and I only buy the ones made in Singapore. I used to order these online (Newegg), but I got two 20 Disc cakes made in India. I never had a failed burn until I tried a Verbatim DL DVD from India. I buy these in Best Buy when they are on sale for $30 (like this week) for a cake of 20 Discs so that I can check for myself that the Discs were indeed manufactured in Singapore.

While the Verbatim DL DVD+R 2.4x can be burned at up to 8x speed, if you want a standalone DVD player to read the disk, I highly recommend just burning at the rated speed of 2.4x. I burned a couple of these DVDs at 4x and 6x speeds and while my HTPC never had a problem playing back the video, my Sony DVD player did have problems.

tikki_timbo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Thanks for the feedback! But how about the difference in DVD+R and DVD-R, I heard there isn't much difference these days. My DVD player says it can play either, but is one format better (in terms of quality, longevity, etc) than the other?