myn

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
I built my computer myself 8 months ago and it has been working fine up until recently. I was able to play Battlefield 2 fine. But yesterday, I fired it up and my computer completely locked up on the first intro screen. So I went into dxdiag and tested the directdraw and the direct3d and the direct3d locked up immediately just like the game did.

I reinstalled the graphics drivers, but no help there. I ran memtest for 2 hours and it was fine there. System temp is good. PSU must be good - the computer has run fine for 8 months.

So what do you think the problem is?
Is the graphics card shot?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Get some canned air, you can grab it from walmart for like 5 bucks, blow out all the fans and your heatsinks, including the one on your video card. Also, if it continues, maybe consider a pci slot cooler and put that directly under your card to give some ventilation, also perhaps a few case fans to get some more air flow.

dev1se

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Will canned tuna do? I have some of that.

myn

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
wait. maybe it is my temperature lol.
mobo: 51 C
cpu: 51 C
Aux: 52 C
GPU 63 C
HD: 37 C (in the front of the case)

I just moved my computer into a corner closet-ish area with little ventilation.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

have your temps gone down? the temps that you reported are in the 120-160f range,do not rely upon the psu's fan to vent your case get another exhaust fan in there like fast,say a not so fast 120m,,and "come out of the closet.":)

myn

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008

So... what is actually the problem here?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
If it's not overheating, I'd suspect either a power issue or driver issue. Download speedfan and see what the voltages on your Power supply read. Could be your power supply is slowly dying and does not show symptoms until you start putting a load on it(ie playing a game). Also, make sure you have the latest patches/drivers installed to eliminate another possibility, and be sure any power cables going to the card are firmly plugged in.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
It could also be a volt reg on the mobo going south on you....

Can you try a different video card on that system? I've heard that the XFX 8800 series cards have some problems with certain hardware configurations..