Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel Takes on AMD/ATI, NVIDIA in Graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2008 11:54:57 PM

My peronal opinion is that after years of producing inferior igps for graphics, which in my opinion has helped with the decline in pc gaming, Intel is finally jumping into the fray. I think that with them in this market that it could bode well or disastrously for the current GPU makers. Im not talking about better products coming from Intel, Im talking about the influence of Intel, and the direction that graphics will head. In the end competition is good, I just hope theres enough competition (aka money) for competitors to actually contribute to the future of graphics
March 18, 2008 12:11:34 AM

this will be quite interesting. but i dont think intel has anything lined up to take the crown away from ati/nvidia anytime soon. it will take atleast a few generations. but the graphic's industry could use a bit more competition no doubt. perhaps via should focus on developing high end cpu's. but i dont think they have the resource and funding to develop anything to that calibre.
Related resources
March 18, 2008 12:24:40 AM

when it says discrete graphics, they mean low-end graphics. so they're not trying to take the crown for the fastest gpu
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2008 12:30:54 AM

Sure theyre not. Why on earth would they want to do that? If they can they will
March 18, 2008 12:34:07 AM

I just hope that they decide to not make their IGPs utter crap. We've seen from ATI that it's possible to make decent low-powered IGPs, so now it's time for Intel to follow suit and produce something that will help stimulate the lower-end gaming market.
March 23, 2008 3:44:18 PM

I don't hope much of Intel... thinking in lower-end gamers???
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2008 6:21:51 PM

Intel isnt going to do a thing til Nehalem comes out. And thats assuming (notice the word) that Nehalem will be up and at em right outta the box for graphics too
March 24, 2008 12:30:45 AM

seems like i need a graphics card for my eyes lolololol
March 24, 2008 12:43:07 AM

I see two separate markets; notebooks and OEM boxes that don't come with discrete GPU's on one hand and discrete GPU's on the other hand. I do not expect Intel to put much effort into their IGP, not even as a core within Nehalem. I do expect Intel to put more effort into discrete GPU's to take on Nvidia and AMD.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 12:59:11 AM

From what Im getting, Intel has let gaming down for years by never making a igp that can play games. Removing this ability from OEMs, who sell to average Joe, has helped to hurt the PC gaming indutry by not allowing the average Joe even a chance to game on his OEM rig. No seed planting for lil Joey. Now, as Intel enters the graphics market, I believe that the only reason theyre doing this is to set the tone for Nehalem. Its all PR. Just like the PR shot Intel and M$ got by giving 20 million for multicore research. About the cost to produce of one half a game according to this http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2277507,00.a... Read this, its good. So to butter the bread, theyre going discrete to lead into Nehalem IMHO, after years of raping the PC gaming community with their sad efforts/excuses of their igps
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 1:52:01 AM

Think about it though guys, if Intel gets in this thing, if they get good graphics, even built in think about the new 3200 series from AMD being built in on some of their mobos, I bet that would even game decently. If that's the case, it may push ppl to upgrade graphics into higher end cards, which means prices may get pushed down for everyone. Which is a beautiful thing with the greater economies of scale.
March 24, 2008 2:27:46 AM

thats just one scenario....
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 2:35:24 AM

Either way, competition will be good, if Joe Schmoe sees the pc can game, who knows maybe pc gaming will begin to rival ps3 and xbox 360.
March 24, 2008 7:28:02 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
My peronal opinion is that after years of producing inferior igps for graphics, which in my opinion has helped with the decline in pc gaming, Intel is finally jumping into the fray. I think that with them in this market that it could bode well or disastrously for the current GPU makers. Im not talking about better products coming from Intel, Im talking about the influence of Intel, and the direction that graphics will head. In the end competition is good, I just hope theres enough competition (aka money) for competitors to actually contribute to the future of graphics



Well...you must live on another planet, because PC gaming is far from declining. Sure, the landscape has given way to new forms of gaming...mainly MMO oriented. ...and in a strange way, even console gaming gives back something in the way of capital to PC gaming (only because of who supplies gpu's for consoles).

Did you know that Nvidia was the Forbes 2007 company of the year, and their overall stock margin is up 50% from last year and has an overall capital that is 20 times what it was in 1999.

The sky is the limit for gaming and you can all thank the uber nerds who spend 1/3 of their life playing those mindless games like WoW and Everquest.

There is room in this market for Intel and 5 other companies...that is how large and untapped this industry is. Nvidia and Ati could keep their PC products going purely on their capital from their respective console based products that need absolutely no continuous investments to maintain their share of the market---Sony and Microsoft take that on with the packaging, product movement, costumer service, marketing aspects, and in some cases the actual research and development of their gpu's.

I welcome Intel into this arena--they already push the silicone envelope...and whatever that next chip substrate may be, it only makes sense for them to start applying that to graphical solutions. They see the writing on the wall, and this online media revolution that we have been experiencing the last couple years, with the likes of You-Tube, online television, and every other website out there, is starting to ramp up the graphical demands just to browse the web, let alone play games.

Demanding graphics are here to stay, for whatever entertainment or educational use you could imagine. Some may come and go, but make no mistake, there is no end in sight to this industry, and more competition makes it even better when the buck finally stops...at yours and my feet!
I say- Bring it on Intel!!!!
March 24, 2008 7:50:31 AM

imrul said:
when it says discrete graphics, they mean low-end graphics. so they're not trying to take the crown for the fastest gpu


Are you sure you know what your talking about? NVIDIA's 9800GX2 is exactly nothing but a discrete card. Along with ATI's 3870X2. I'm not saying intel's first gen will take the crown, but it does in fact mean they plan to compete with ATI/NVIDIA. I see nothing but good for the consumer, whether intel succeeds or flops.
March 24, 2008 8:07:28 AM

In layman's terms, regarding video processing, discrete just means that it is seperate from the motherboard.

Although, built-in, performance graphics solutions aren't a bad route for someone who already makes respectable motherboards. It would also end up in the hands of large-market venders, such as Dell and H-P, for much cheaper, passing on the savings to us. Before you know it, every basic PC sold vwould have decent graphics built right in--now imagine what kind of fire that would light under the tails of AMD and Nvidia, not to mention what that would do for software companies who rely on the population's consumption of these cards that now have unrealistic prices and hardware demands.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 8:49:28 AM

firebanshee said:
Well...you must live on another planet, because PC gaming is far from declining. Sure, the landscape has given way to new forms of gaming...mainly MMO oriented. ...and in a strange way, even console gaming gives back something in the way of capital to PC gaming (only because of who supplies gpu's for consoles).

Did you know that Nvidia was the Forbes 2007 company of the year, and their overall stock margin is up 50% from last year and has an overall capital that is 20 times what it was in 1999.

The sky is the limit for gaming and you can all thank the uber nerds who spend 1/3 of their life playing those mindless games like WoW and Everquest.

There is room in this market for Intel and 5 other companies...that is how large and untapped this industry is. Nvidia and Ati could keep their PC products going purely on their capital from their respective console based products that need absolutely no continuous investments to maintain their share of the market---Sony and Microsoft take that on with the packaging, product movement, costumer service, marketing aspects, and in some cases the actual research and development of their gpu's.

I welcome Intel into this arena--they already push the silicone envelope...and whatever that next chip substrate may be, it only makes sense for them to start applying that to graphical solutions. They see the writing on the wall, and this online media revolution that we have been experiencing the last couple years, with the likes of You-Tube, online television, and every other website out there, is starting to ramp up the graphical demands just to browse the web, let alone play games.

Demanding graphics are here to stay, for whatever entertainment or educational use you could imagine. Some may come and go, but make no mistake, there is no end in sight to this industry, and more competition makes it even better when the buck finally stops...at yours and my feet!
I say- Bring it on Intel!!!!

Firstly, Intel has been making pc components long before 1999, and it still cant produce a igp that can play games. Secondly, looking at the gaming industry, not the card makers themselves shows theres actually a decline in sales, including WOW which is about 50% of those revenues. Now I dont know what planet youre from, but thats a telling strory. And next time, when were talking about gaming, and Intels negative contribution to it, keep in mind that nVidias sales dont have diddly to do with PC gaming. Theres 2 different things here. Also, what I said about Intel holds true, and just because theyve said theyre entering into the dicrete market by no means does it mean its nothing more than a PR positioning to advance their Nehalem setup. Now, to get thids striaght, PC games sales are falling, as is their revenues, Intel doesnt have a worthwhile igp, and never has, and like was pointed out above, as you did as well, if otjhers have a chance to game on an igp, then buy a discrete instead of a console, that we all will benefit from this, which I agree. Show me some numbers about your claims, something to back up or dispute what Ive said, I have mine right here, and will gladly share them
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 9:07:36 AM

Id like to add that some of those profits from nVidia come from consoles, as theyve made the graphics cards for some. Also, they make more than just discrete cards, their igps, which can play games unlike Intels (shame on em), mobile products and mobos. But we are talking graphics here, not a mixed bag. My point is, why would a company thats promised longer than ANY Phenom, for years and years and years ad nauseum, that theyll soon be producing a respectable igp? By entering the discrete market, Intel only shows me one thing, that the Nehalem product is the only reason. Get people thinking Intel and graphics, something thats never been together before. The way are setups are now are going to change, without a doubt. Will there even be a discrete solution in3-5 years from now? And if there isnt? Nehalem, Fusion. But to grease the skids, Intels going discrete for now. Ill be impressed when Intel actually takes the crown with discrete NOT Nehalem
March 24, 2008 9:27:44 AM

I said Nvidia's capital was up from 1999--not sure what you are referring to as far as thats concerned. Go to Forbes website and see for yourself.


You are somewhat correct about PC gaming and it is not as strong as it has been--RELATIVELY--and I highly emphasize the relatively. ...but I would say that consoles just take a larger slice of the pie nowadays. What you have failed to recognize is that it is all the same companies making PC stuff and making console stuff---its all the same industry.

You have to look at the entire landscape of gaming--If you just look at the bigger companies, yes, they are losing revenue, and pirating is ever more prevelant in this day and age. ...but, you also fail to recognize the amount of smaller publishers cropping up everywhere, from flash games to free-to-play mmo's--who make more mint than you could imagine, selling advetisements and intellectual property.

Who cares anyway, this thread was about the hardware, which is not completely reliant on games, and will be even less so in the future. Just take a quick browse anywhere on the net--you'll find something that crappy little IGP just cant handle--that alone will keep the GPU industry alive.

More competition is good for the consumer, whoever it is-- a small rodent could tell you that. As far as Intel just using that as a marketing strategy---so what, I would love to hear your convoluted theory on how that will hurt the current atmosphere of PC gaming.

just admit it, your a console hater, and for some reason, an Intel hater

personally, I could care less if PC gaming dies--consoles are reaching a zenith...and we should just start enjoying the technology that we have instead of worrying about what's next, because in the end, Crysis was less entertaining to me than Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES.




a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2008 9:39:47 AM

And theres the difference between you and me. "personally, I could care less if PC gaming dies--consoles are reaching a zenith...and we should just start enjoying the technology that we have instead of worrying about what's next, because in the end, Crysis was less entertaining to me than Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES." I dont hate consoles and I dont hate Intel, even for all their hollow words and promises. I love PC gaming, and it would seem that Intel doesnt care about pc gaming either. That doesnt make me hate a company, it just shows the callousness of a company that now is supposed to be embracing it. Read this http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2277507,00.a... This is very informative of the current stature of gaming, graphics and Intels total lack therein. Dont forget ti read part 2 either. I think competition is good. And like I said, I will be truly impressed IF Intel takes the discrete crown. But, looking ahead, I dont see it as anything but a primer for Nehalem, if you cant see that as a possibility or understand it thats ok, Im not alone
!