What keeps causing my components to die?

moozh

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005
The following components have recently gone bad on me:

1. OCZ GameXStream 700W
2. OCZ GameXStream 850W
3. Antec NeoPower 480W
4. Intel D915PBL

I have two systems. My new one, and my old one. My new one is a Core 2 Duo w/ ASUS P5B-E system which was using an OCZ GameXStream 700W. My old system is a P4 3.4GHz w/ Intel D915PBL and an Antec NeoPower 480W. Both are located in the same room, but plugged into different wall sockets, and different surge protectors.

Everything was going fine until one day the power went out in the house. An hour or so later I reset the circuit breaker and the power came back on. Everything was up and running again except my PC. (On a seperate note, could my power supply going bad have caused the circuit breaker to cut the power?) I took the power supply out and jump-started it with a paper clip, and it gave no response. So I RMA'd it.

At this point I took the power supply from my old system, and plugged it into my new system. That worked fine for me for the month or so that it took for me to get my RMA replacement back. OCZ sent me back a GameXStream 850W in place of the 700W. I was ecstatic. So my first order of business is put the Antec NeoPower PSU in the old system and get it up and running again. I wire it all up the way it was exactly 1 month ago, and I power it up. No power. Exactly the same problem that my new PC gave me when its PSU died a month ago. The motherboard light was on, and when I tried jump-started the power supply, the fan started spinning, but the board just wouldn't power up. Oddly enough, the PSU now makes a weird noise when I power it up and plug it into this motherboard using the 24pin connector. It's like the whistling sound that my CRT monitors are prone to making when running at certain resolutions/refresh rates.

When I try unplugging the 24pin ATX connector and jump-starting it (leaving the 12V 4pin connector plugged in), the CPU fan starts spinning (but of course the board has no power). I thought maybe the chassis power button was broken, so I tried unplugging the POWER SW wires and jump-starting them, no response. So either the PSU was half-working, or the board was dead (there were no expansion cards installed).

So to try to see if it was just the PSU that was dead, I plug my brand spanking new OCZ 850W into the 24pin/4 pin connectors on the board and power up. Same thing, no response.

So I concluded that my old board was dead, and went about installing the OCZ 850W into my new system to get it back up and running. You'll never guess what happened. Press the power button, no power. At this point I wanted to punch a baby.

So I figured that the replacement 850W PSU that OCZ sent me was actually from refurbished/buffer stock, and was DOA... so I went back and hooked up my old Antec NeoPower 480W to my new system. Which, if you'll recall, ran it fine only hours earlier. It did turn on. But my keyboard and mouse didn't always receive power and kept cutting in and out. I received an NVIDIA driver message at the Windows XP login screen saying that my GPU wasn't receiving enough power and had gone into "reduced functionality mode". No components had been changed and I was able to play 3D games for hours on end with no problem only the day before. So my PSU seemed to be basically "half-dead" now.

My final test was to try a 3rd power supply on my old D915PBL motherboard, since the other two were either dead or half dead. I had just that day installed a new Thermaltake 430W PSU into my sister's old system, since her PSU also died about a month earlier (different system, different house, different city). It was working on her system, but it didn't work on my old system. So I guess the board is 100% dead?

I wish I knew why so many of my components are dying, not only on their own but also when I move them to a new system or, in the case of the board, when I change the power supply.

My old system was running on a crappy $10 power bar. But my new system is running on a nice APC UPS with surge protection.

I live in townhouses in Toronto, Ontario. I don't know if it's an issue with the local power or the wiring in my house. I always work with my systems on hardwood floor and wooden desks. And I typically unplug the power cord first before working inside my systems. Any insight?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
hi toronto,ottawa here sounds like you have a short somewhere in your system,or a loose connection,seems obvious that it's hardware related as you cannot get into the os,so then get back to basics,,put everything on your non conductive surface and go from there,if you have a meter with a continuity checker use it,you do not mention what gpu you have,,but,,does it have a power connection ie 6 pin??:)

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Lol, anyone that lives on the east Atlantic grid, needs good surge suppression. on everything electronic that they own. This is the same grid than died in what was it 2002 when a tree touched a 30KV transmission line in Ohio and the power went out throughout the east including Ontario.
This grid has not gotten any more stable from that time.