Graphic by nVidia GeForce 6600
SB Audigy

The old one:
AMD64 3200+ @ 2000Mhz
2x 512 Corsair ValueSelect
MoBo MSI K8N-Neo4 Platinum
the same GeForce 6600
SB Audigy

After installed Windows and all needed drivers, when was working with Photoshop and Premiere I noticed that the new PC is running slower than my old one.

Firstly I though it was the new nVidia driver... Installed the old version and it's still slow, checked the processor clock at BIOS...

I was looking the CPU Chart, and it says that D820 is faster...
And I don't know what else can I do...

Sorry for my english, still sucks...

Thank you all for now.

One thing to note is that on single threaded applications the old system is faster since its cpu is faster. Its having 2 cpus that makes the 820 faster, but only of the app will use them both.

Photoshop is multi core ready but some filters are still single threaded so the old system may be faster.

You will notice that even a PD 950 is just about the same. as the A64 in that app when running some filters.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=945&model2=899&chart=437

On Premiere, as long as its a newer version the 820 should run circles around the 3200+
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=945&model2=899&chart=432

In general your 820 should be faster, but some games and many photoshop filters will be slower.

There is nothing from stopping you from overclocking it:)

ohhh I see you have a Audigy card....are you running the creative software on that system?
If so
ctrl + alt + del
Under Processes look or CTSysVol.exe
Right click it and select Set Affinity
Only leave one cpu checked....

creativeaffinityjp4.gif

I have seen this cause problems on Audigy 2's but i think its the same software as the Audigy. This can cause a lag when opening windows and a delay when clicking items in explorer among other things(also makes the creative mixer load and close slow)....so if this help tell me and i will help you make that change permanent.

what board do you have? the core2 cpus(if the board is new enough) are extremely fast and use much less power.

Do you have the creative surround mixer running(i edited since i remember that causing slow downs on multi core systems)?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
What windows did you install? Make sure your Samsung RAM is the same speed as the Kingston. Sometimes people like to buy newer and faster RAM but then leave in their older slower RAM not knowing that the faster RAM downclocks.

Mobo chipsets matter in the problem as well and I think that is your problem. I got a real crappy chipset once (I forget even what it was since I had it for a day but I do remember it was some VIA version). Basically I just swapped mobos and kept all of the same hardware and windows loaded and responded almost at half the speed than with my previous mobo (which was an Intel mobo). It was crazy. I was baffled since it was all on the same hardware. I actually thought that windows was freezing it was so slow. I sent that board back the next day and went with an ECS board that had an Intel chipset and it was back to normal! All that I remember is that it was indeed a VIA chipset. From your experience and mine...I think that VIA sucks big time compared to intel and nvidia (which was your MSI board) chipsets.

I bet that if you swap the mobo for an nvidia or Intel chipset mobo you will get your speed back.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

Yes but if he doesn't address the chipset problem it will make the C2D a junker. I am 99% sure the VIA chipsets are the cause of your problem. You can get the fastest CPU on Earth but a crapola northbridge will choke it out.

Edit: the 1% uncertainty comes from the possibility that my chipsets were messed up to begin with and it wasn't just because they were VIA.

Thats not a half bad board. Supports the fastest C2D X6800 and anything lower including the Pentium DualCore E2XXX series and the Celeron series too.

I would look into either a Core 2Duo, that will blow your Pentium D 820 away, or a Pentium DC E2140/E2160, OC that to 3GHz and it will do the same as the Core 2 Duo.

Yup you are right. I hated Via chipsets.

That makes me ask the question why Intel doesn't make chipsets for other CPU makers to make more money...

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
see ya mixed and matched your 2gigs of ram eh? not a big deal, but i would check to make sure you're in dual channel mode and not single as that would affect performance as well!

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
^ that is true as well. Plus like I said...if you have a slower RAM module your faster RAM will be downclocking to match it. Dual channel will help a bit but it won't boost your performance by a catastrophic amount. I would target the Samsung as being slower since it is usually a RAM you get with Dells or junk like that who like to gyp you with cheaper Samsung RAM to save a few bucks.

Single channel memory may also be an issue. while socket 754 AMD Athlon 64's used single channel memory. The IMC helped with performance allot.

Unless there is a typo from asus
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
This motherboard supports the latest Pentium 4 CPU from Intel in LGA775 package. With 1066/ 800/ 533MHz FSB, Hyper-Threading Technology and core-speeds up to 3.8GHz and beyond, Intel's LGA775 Pentium 4 is one of the fastest desktop processors to date.

Intel® Core%u21222 Processor Ready
This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Core%u21222 processors in LGA775 package. With new Intel® Core%u2122 microarchitecture technology and 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel® Core%u21222 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPUs in the world.

Single-Channel DDR2 533
DDR2 is the next generation memory technology to replace the current DDR. With initial speeds from 533MHz, DDR2 memory provides bandwidth up to 4.3GB/s.

PCI Express Architecture
PCI Express is the latest I/O interconnect technology that will replace the existing PCI. With a bus bandwidth 4 times higher than that of AGP 8X interface, PCI Express x16 bus performs much better than AGP 8X in applications such as 3D gaming. PCI Express x1 also outperforms PCI interface with its exceptional high bandwidth up to 500MB/s.

As for the Creative mixer. Do you find it opens slow and does not go away right away when you close it? if so try the affinity thing...I did notice some other slowdowns with it too....