is it always Vista that slow?

marlom36

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
After i finished the installation of the Vista OS in the new computer i just built, and since i've always used XP, i wanted to check the new OS, after playing around for a little while i restared my computer only to find myself waiting for about twenty minutes or so, while vista was installing some upgrades, i run out of patience and decided to restart the computer again before vista finished installing the upgrades.
the computer failed to start and i had to clear the CMOS bios to fix that issue, so my question is, is always vista that slow when installing upgrades?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
There have been about 50 updates, not including SP1, since Vista was released. The big reason for it being so slow was because it was installing a bunch at the same time. Next time you restart just walk away and come back later, don't manually restart.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

This thread just goes to show how every one think they know how to "do" computers and its easy and it doesnt take time to make machines work properly etc etc.....

Well, my friend, its time to wait.. Wait till you load SP1 that takes over an hour and 3 reboots....

Patience is a virtue....

If it seems to take much longer then you may have a problematic hard disk being slow....

remember also not all hard disks are the same and using a slow one for vista is not recommended.....

mrmez

Splendid

And it messed up?
Geez Vista TOTALLY sucks man.

Dude, ur an idiot.

Sry, sum1 had to say it.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I dunno, I use vista, and have no issues, except that they dont support some of the older games i enjoy. 3 hours loading time ? Hell even when I installed sp1, were talking maybe 5 minutes to install. I think some of the previous posters had it right.

A. You were dumb to restart your computer while it was installing updates, sorry man but hella retarded move.

B. You didnt take into account that when you were installing the updates that it has over 600 mb worth of patches to install at the same time, you probably would have had to restart a few more times, if you were patient that is.

c. What are your computer specs? did you buy one of those comps that were mislabled "Vista compatible?

seriously restarting your computer while it was updating was the topping of the cake here. You should never ever restart your computer while its updating, your lucky it even started. Any who... just goes to show that its not always Vista's fault. Sometimes it just comes down to user error. Is Vista perfect? No, but neither is any other os's out there, even the mac has its issues, gaming for one. Next time be more patient, thats my advice.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I always restart my computer in the middle of updates. First I turn it off then back on and off and on again three times. It really makes the update go much faster. :pfff:

Try reinstalling the OS and getting your updates again. Take a deep breath. If you think it's hanging check the hard drive LED. If it's flashing leave it the F alone.

By the way, Vista is DRM laden pigsh.. Long live XP.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Impatience can kill your OS. Since you just installed your OS and it's already dorked up you may as well start over and add some patience to it.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006

You sure did walk into the lions' den posting that.

People who complain about how long Vista takes apparently were born after the release of Win 95. After being used to installing Dos and Windows 3.x, the first time I installed Win 95, boy was that a big change in installation time and behavior. It did take some getting used too.
And yeah, people do dumb things. I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you. Everyone here has done something equally stupid more than once, they just don't jump on-line and brag about it!

drumr1829

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
what kinda specs do you have? If you're trying to run/install anything with sub par equipment, get used to waiting around.

Either way, when downloading/ installing a buncha updates you need to walk away and go eat something or queue it up before bed. You may as well watch grass grow.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Be nice. There are better ways to get your point across than that.

Slappy_Slime

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
And you thought updates are slow.......wait until you do your first defrag.....>>>hint.....start the defrag before bed time, then it might be done in the morning!

skyline0511

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007

Well that depends how fast your hard drive, and also use Perfect Disk or other 3rd party disk defragmentation softwares, much better than Vista's built in.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
YES!

Vista is always slow to restart after new update, but it's a good thing. It's a good thing because it install the update before you start working on the computer and f&?k everything up with the install process.

Now tell me... Why the heck did you restart before the install finished? I agree that 20 minutes is a very long time, but considering it's a new install with probably over 50 update to install, it might be normal.

Anyway, the error is human after all, just try to be more patient next time.

coldstar2

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
i just built a system of my own with more than the minimum requirements for vista and its running SLOW. i'm doing updates right now...taken over 3 hours so far waiting, but hopefully it will be worth it. i feel your pain. it is insanely slow for me and freezes up a lot too...but i'm waiting for it to finish installing. better be worth it is all i can say.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
wow that was helpful.... retard. And no, someone did not have to say it. The OP probably knows more crap then you do.

He stated his issue with some details. I think it's pretty obvious that he made a mistake in rebooting mid-install, otherwise he wouldn't even have said it. At least try to help instead of posting BS like that.

This is why I don't post questions on these forums as much anymore. Too many assholes on the forums.

And as Zorg said, it's probably a good idea to just start over. I would do a full reformat (not just quick). When it reinstalls, have your updates install and walk away.

TRENDING THREADS