Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tribes:Vengeance after 1 day's full play

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:51:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Ok, despite my initial negative comments, I've been playing the Beta for
alot of last night and much of today....

Firstly, the differences that I have seen so far, in no particular order. I
might be wrong on this, but I have asked questions in game if I can't suss
something out.

- no medpack. This is starting to really cheese me off. A good offensive
player could "live off" the dropped medpacks of victims. Also, take one bad
fall and your health is low enough for 2 discs to finish you.

- sniper rifle seems far more powerful. Takes around 1/3 health from a
heavy, no matter where hit.

- vehicles are awful. A little like those in UT2004, but without the fun.
Seem too light and bouncy. Nothing like the shrike as far as I have seen
and nothing akin to the hoverscooter either. This is an important let down
for me.

- 3 weapon slots for all classes. Maybe not such a bad thing - even as a
heavy I think I would only use mortar, disc and gren launcher. Unless I
wanted to plasma gun and chaingun for bringing down nme installations I
suppose. Oh.

- You have to wait for "deployables" to be served up by vending machines in
your base. A right PITA if you want to put multiple turrets away from the
base. Deployables are: Mines, Turrets (one type now), "Repair
stations"(great idea - a station that repairs all around it), deployable
inventory.

I think I see why they did this too - makes the game more simple and fast
flowing. Takes a big tactical element away and means you are less likely to
see "class specialists" - a central part of tribes IMHO

- repair pack no longer uses your energy pack. It has its own energy and,
as far as I can tell, cannot be stopped once started. You then have to wait
for it to recharge and can then set it off again. Multiple things can be
repaired at once and you do not have to be facing them - you may also use
weapons whilst repairing.

I think this could work out to be an improvement.

- did I mention there is no medpack or health pickups?

- skiing is easier and there is a special key for this distinct from
jumping. I think I like this as it still leaves you open to make mistakes
and end up skiing into a cliff face, losing health!

- some packs have "active" uses in addition to the passive. The energy pack
works as normal, increasing the rate your energy returns. Press the
activate pack button, however, and it gives you a temporary speed boost.
Takes about 30 seconds to recharge and I'm not sure if the passive effect is
diminished during this time. I think this is a great idea.

- is there a stealth pack? shocklance? Not sure. Don't think so. Big
shame if there is no stealth pack.

- no heat signature. That I can see. There is certainly no indication of
one anywhere.

- haven't seen a missile launcher - either turret or gun. Is this because
there is no heat signature?

- no deployable sensors. Again, I might be wrong but can't see them
anywhere.

- no preselection of inventory. It does remember your last selection for a
particular "slot" - i.e. Heavy Offence. Hasn't been a problem to be fair as
the invents don't get clogged.

- no beacons that I can see, although I might just be missing out on this.
Mortaring is easier to judge anyway, but they did of course have many other
uses!

- scoring system. Points for offence, defence and style. Offence is
killing an nme, defence for killing one near your base (I think it is more
subtle than that), style for mid air discs - might be for other stuff too.
No points for repairing etc. but presumably offence points for a flag cap
and defence points for killing their flag carrier etc.

- no active base turrets, other than those deployed. I might be wrong on
this but didn't ever see one working. This makes the game more fast moving
as it is easier to storm the nme base etc

- some new weapons - don't know what they all are yet but I suppose we will
get used to them anyway. Interesting idea is the grappling hook, which you
can shoot at anything ( I think including nme players) and it pulls you
towards whatever you have shot. You can then hang there until letting go -
enabling you to use your weapon even.

There are also obvious graphical and sound differences. I do not like the
graphics as stated before, although they have grown on me a little. For me,
Tribes 1 had the best (not flashiest or most colourful) and the other 2 have
been slowly getting worse!

As it stands, I still do not intend to buy this game. After playing the
demo of Tribes 1 (and I was totally hopeless) I was hooked and around 4
months later good enough to buy the complete game. Tribes2 I had on
preorder when it was announced and still play occasionally.

This seems like a dumbed down version of Tribes. A lot of the subtlety just
isn't there. Simply removing the ability to deploy turrets from a remote
inv, or use sensors and beacons has gotten rid of a whole part of the game.
I may have missed some things here, but I am sure I am right on the basics.

I'll post a reply to this if more things strike me.

Regards

Chris "Schrodinger" Foster
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:51:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
news:ch0407$1qa$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Ok, despite my initial negative comments, I've been playing the Beta for
> alot of last night and much of today....

> - no medpack. This is starting to really cheese me off. A good offensive
> player could "live off" the dropped medpacks of victims. Also, take one
bad
> fall and your health is low enough for 2 discs to finish you.

When you kill another player they will drop some inventory in a small
circle. This is not always right near the player, but beneath the point of
death. It does contain a medpack every time and when you walk over it the
use is instant.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:51:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
news:ch09ng$hlq$1@sparta.btinternet.com...

> Did I mention you haven't understood what I said? You have no *stored*
> medpack. You cannot use it at will. This is a problem. I am also not
> convinced these do anything as yet. Maybe it is just because it is beta?
>

Like I said, the medpack you pick up after killing another player is used
instantly. You can grab a medpack from the base that you can carry with
you, mount and use, and it will heal you, any player near you, and any
equipment near you all at the same time and while you are still able to use
your weapon. You just need to explore the game a little closer.

Quixote
Related resources
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:20:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
news:ch0407$1qa$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> - no medpack. This is starting to really cheese me off. A good offensive
> player could "live off" the dropped medpacks of victims. Also, take one
bad
> fall and your health is low enough for 2 discs to finish you.

Players you've killed do appear to drop medpacks


> I think I see why they did this too - makes the game more simple and fast
> flowing. Takes a big tactical element away and means you are less likely
to
> see "class specialists" - a central part of tribes IMHO

You're right, I see a lot of lights now, the odd heavy


> - some packs have "active" uses in addition to the passive. The energy
pack

All packs have an active and a passive mode now
< http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/TribesVengeance/packs.ht... >


> - is there a stealth pack? shocklance? Not sure. Don't think so.

No stealth pack, and a weak version of the shocklance (blade)
< http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/TribesVengeance/weapons.... >


> - haven't seen a missile launcher - either turret or gun.
Anti Air turrets and Rocket pod are the closest, all manual fire
< http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/TribesVengeance/weapons.... >
< http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/TribesVengeance/baseturr... >

M.W.H
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:19:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Quixote" <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote in message
news:10j7a1b32pptr25@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
> news:ch0407$1qa$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>> Ok, despite my initial negative comments, I've been playing the Beta for
>> alot of last night and much of today....
>
>> - no medpack. This is starting to really cheese me off. A good
>> offensive
>> player could "live off" the dropped medpacks of victims. Also, take one
> bad
>> fall and your health is low enough for 2 discs to finish you.
>
> When you kill another player they will drop some inventory in a small
> circle. This is not always right near the player, but beneath the point
> of
> death. It does contain a medpack every time and when you walk over it the
> use is instant.
>
> Quixote
>

I thought I saw them - I clearly haven't noticed the effect on my health. I
prefer the old system, although I expect that makes me an "unskilled faggot"
in debiG's eyes....
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:19:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
news:ch159r$grk$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> "Quixote" <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote in message
> news:10j7a1b32pptr25@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > "Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
> > news:ch0407$1qa$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> >> Ok, despite my initial negative comments, I've been playing the Beta
for
> >> alot of last night and much of today....
> >
> >> - no medpack. This is starting to really cheese me off. A good
> >> offensive
> >> player could "live off" the dropped medpacks of victims. Also, take
one
> > bad
> >> fall and your health is low enough for 2 discs to finish you.
> >
> > When you kill another player they will drop some inventory in a small
> > circle. This is not always right near the player, but beneath the point
> > of
> > death. It does contain a medpack every time and when you walk over it
the
> > use is instant.
> >
> > Quixote
> >
>
> I thought I saw them - I clearly haven't noticed the effect on my health.
I
> prefer the old system, although I expect that makes me an "unskilled
faggot"
> in debiG's eyes....
>

If your health is down you will see immediately a small green dotted line at
the very top of the health meter appear and then slowly the main health bar
will climb to meet this. You do need to check out the mountable health pack
though. You will find them in a wall mounted unit inside the base, F to use
obtain it, 5 to switch to it and activate with Q, 4 to switch back to
epack/speedpack/etc. It does not replace your weapon when using it. It's
his charm. Don't take it personal. :^)

Quixote
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 11:08:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Quixote" <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote in message
news:10j871dtm0r03cd@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
> news:ch159r$grk$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>> "Quixote" <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote in message
>> news:10j7a1b32pptr25@corp.supernews.com...
>> >
>> > "Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
>> > news:ch0407$1qa$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>> >> Ok, despite my initial negative comments, I've been playing the Beta
> for
>> >> alot of last night and much of today....
>> >
>> >> - no medpack. This is starting to really cheese me off. A good
>> >> offensive
>> >> player could "live off" the dropped medpacks of victims. Also, take
> one
>> > bad
>> >> fall and your health is low enough for 2 discs to finish you.
>> >
>> > When you kill another player they will drop some inventory in a small
>> > circle. This is not always right near the player, but beneath the
>> > point
>> > of
>> > death. It does contain a medpack every time and when you walk over it
> the
>> > use is instant.
>> >
>> > Quixote
>> >
>>
>> I thought I saw them - I clearly haven't noticed the effect on my health.
> I
>> prefer the old system, although I expect that makes me an "unskilled
> faggot"
>> in debiG's eyes....
>>
>
> If your health is down you will see immediately a small green dotted line
> at
> the very top of the health meter appear and then slowly the main health
> bar
> will climb to meet this. You do need to check out the mountable health
> pack
> though. You will find them in a wall mounted unit inside the base, F to
> use
> obtain it, 5 to switch to it and activate with Q, 4 to switch back to
> epack/speedpack/etc. It does not replace your weapon when using it. It's
> his charm. Don't take it personal. :^)
>
> Quixote
>

Ah! I see now I was entirely wrong about this. Thanks!
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 8:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Chris Foster wrote:
> "Quixote" <quixote@-munged-writeme.com> wrote in message
> news:10j7a1b32pptr25@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>"Chris Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> wrote in message
>>news:ch0407$1qa$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>>
>>>Ok, despite my initial negative comments, I've been playing the Beta for
>>>alot of last night and much of today....
>>
>>>- no medpack. This is starting to really cheese me off. A good
>>>offensive
>>>player could "live off" the dropped medpacks of victims. Also, take one
>>
>>bad
>>
>>>fall and your health is low enough for 2 discs to finish you.
>>
>>When you kill another player they will drop some inventory in a small
>>circle. This is not always right near the player, but beneath the point
>>of
>>death. It does contain a medpack every time and when you walk over it the
>>use is instant.
>>
>>Quixote
>>
>
>
> I thought I saw them - I clearly haven't noticed the effect on my health. I
> prefer the old system, although I expect that makes me an "unskilled faggot"
> in debiG's eyes....
>
>

I have noticed that if you are carrying a repair kit your health goes up
slowly in a passive manner. Outside of the repair ability it has that
needs to be used.

Bramage
The One, The Proud, The Hopelessly Insane
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 11:00:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

wlessard7974 wrote:
>
> I have noticed that if you are carrying a repair kit your health goes up
> slowly in a passive manner. Outside of the repair ability it has that
> needs to be used.

Are you all paying subscripts to FilePlanet, or am I missing something?

Gimme the beta!
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 11:00:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Frank van Schie" <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in message
news:413b4630$0$7127$abc4f4c3@news.wanadoo.nl...
> wlessard7974 wrote:
> >
> > I have noticed that if you are carrying a repair kit your health goes up
> > slowly in a passive manner. Outside of the repair ability it has that
> > needs to be used.
>
> Are you all paying subscripts to FilePlanet, or am I missing something?
>
> Gimme the beta!

Yep, but no need now. The beta is free download for all at FP now.

Quixote
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 7:06:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Troll.

DEbig3 <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote

> Path: newssvr17.news.prodigy.com!newscon07.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!news-feed01.roc.ny.frontiernet.net!nntp.frontiernet.net!nntp.giganews.com.MISMATCH!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.ams.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!not-for-mail
> From: DEbig3 <debig3@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes
> Subject: Re: Tribes:Vengeance after 1 day's full play
> Date: 31 Aug 2004 02:24:39 GMT
> Organization: woot!
> Lines: 228
> Message-ID: <Xns9555D9E6C8163omgwtf@130.133.1.4>
> References: <ch0407$1qa$1@titan.btinternet.com> <Xns9555A94519C3Bomgwtf@130.133.1.4> <ch09ng$hlq$1@sparta.btinternet.com>
> X-Trace: news.uni-berlin.de KDY/ANMpgIQUxGEjBwtXvAH8edXPgqiKJOx17Q/RycN+mJyzk=
> User-Agent: Xnews/4.06.22
> Xref: newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com alt.games.starsiege.tribes:112294
>
> One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Chris
> Foster" <youllhavetoask@meforit.com> coming from a tree, and thought,
> "Man, this is f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:
....
>> A big improvement in the tactical requirements of T2 was the important
>> part vehicles could play in a game. Not generally about getting about
>> more quickly, and piloting a shrike took skill. Piloting the troop
>> carrier took teamwork. Piloting or manning the bomber took teamwork and
>> skill. I wonder how much of either you have DEBIG?

I wouldn't bet on teamwork, unless his teammates are massochists.
I don't play with anyone like him.

> vehicles did nothing but make some players live significantly longer. how
> did this happen? they had constantly regenerating shields to take hits for
> them. they mightve added some additional tactical options, but they also
> served as quite a powerful crutch for unskilled faggots like you.
....
>
>
>
> --
> sn|Adept!
>
>
September 6, 2004 9:56:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

john doe wrote:
> Troll.


Asswipe.

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
September 6, 2004 6:38:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

john doe wrote:
> Troll.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but we already knew you were a troll.
September 6, 2004 6:40:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Chris Foster wrote:

> Ok, despite my initial negative comments, I've been playing the Beta for
> alot of last night and much of today....

I've been trying, but I have two problems.

1) On my system (Windows XP), I can't go full screen. If I do, it
switches to some high-res screen @ 85 Hz which my monitor can't handle.
I checked the configuration file, and it's set to 60. I even set my
video drive to force refresh to 60 Hz. Still, as soon as I hit Alt +
Enter, my screen goes black with the "out of range" error.

2) On my son's system (Windows Me), I can't even install. It says
there's not enough room on C:, even though there's 3 GB. I'm trying a
few other things on this.

Anybody have any ideas?
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:42:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"john doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
news:Xns955BE039383E9wisdomandfolly@207.115.63.158...
> Troll.

Tard.

Quixote
September 7, 2004 1:54:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Troy wrote:

> I've been trying, but I have two problems.
>
> 1) On my system (Windows XP), I can't go full screen. If I do, it
> switches to some high-res screen @ 85 Hz which my monitor can't handle.
> I checked the configuration file, and it's set to 60. I even set my
> video drive to force refresh to 60 Hz. Still, as soon as I hit Alt +
> Enter, my screen goes black with the "out of range" error.

Well, I figured this out. I just had to update my video drivers.
Apparently, it didn't like the drivers I was running. :) 

> 2) On my son's system (Windows Me), I can't even install. It says
> there's not enough room on C:, even though there's 3 GB. I'm trying a
> few other things on this.

I didn't figure this out, but managed to work around it. I just ran the
downloaded EXE on my XP system, went to my TEMP directory, then copied
the actual MSI installer to the other system. That allowed me to install it.

So, I finally got a chance to try it. So far, not bad. I'll need to give
it some more time though.

--
Troy
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:51:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

john doe's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Troll.

The result of what should have been a stain on the sheets.

DEbig isnt a troll, he's just special.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:31:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

john doe wrote:
> Troll.

Also a regular. He's often a dick, but that's why we love him.

Uhm, no wait, that sounded so totally wrong.
--
Frank
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of Frank van
Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this is
f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:

> john doe wrote:
>> Troll.
>
> Also a regular. He's often a dick, but that's why we love him.
>
> Uhm, no wait, that sounded so totally wrong.

its ok. you can admit it.

--
sn|Adept!
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 3:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

DEbig3 wrote:

> One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of Frank van
> Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this is
> f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:
>
>
>>john doe wrote:
>>
>>>Troll.
>>
>>Also a regular. He's often a dick, but that's why we love him.
>>
>>Uhm, no wait, that sounded so totally wrong.
>
> its ok. you can admit it.

Okay: You're a dick.

I feel better, now. Thanks.
--
Frank
!