Sign in with
Your question

WLAN with Wireless Router and Wireless Access Point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 8, 2009 1:59:58 PM

Hi this warren from philippines, I have the same problem with are WLAN. Were implementing WLAN on a small 4 storey building and were using adsl connection with adsl modem which is provided by our ISP, 1 D-Link Router which is serves as an Access Point to 1st and 2nd floor located on the 2nd floor and 1 Linksys Access Point which is serving the 3rd and 4th flr. Both D-link Wireless Router and Linksys Access Point are configured with same SSID and WEP Key. But i dont know the Channel whats the channel are using on both wireless device.

That building are occupied by our 17 tenants and all of them are using laptops and connect thru the WLAN. The problem is they are complaining of intermittent connection and there is a case when 3 or more laptops are connected they losing thier connection. Then i took a see for the problem. i found out that almost all of the laptops are connected thru D-link Wireless Router even the laptops on 4th flr. so meaning the access point on 3rd floor is useless. Then i try to change the WEP key of the Linksys Access Point defferent from the Wireless Router. Then it doesnt came to my mind that i should change the channel too. Now im waiting for the concern of the tenants if their connection is doing smooth and no intemittent connection.

In this case what do you think is the main problem of what ive done? is the problem fixed? or it getting worst? What should i do if the concern is still exisiting about the intermittent connection?

Hope i can here some advise from the experts.

Thank you in advance.

Warren
May 8, 2009 8:32:50 PM

honeykoikoi said:

That building are occupied by our 17 tenants and all of them are using laptops and connect thru the WLAN. The problem is they are complaining of intermittent connection and there is a case when 3 or more laptops are connected they losing thier connection. Then i took a see for the problem. i found out that almost all of the laptops are connected thru D-link Wireless Router even the laptops on 4th flr. so meaning the access point on 3rd floor is useless. Then i try to change the WEP key of the Linksys Access Point defferent from the Wireless Router. Then it doesnt came to my mind that i should change the channel too. Now im waiting for the concern of the tenants if their connection is doing smooth and no intemittent connection.

In this case what do you think is the main problem of what ive done? is the problem fixed? or it getting worst? What should i do if the concern is still exisiting about the intermittent connection?

Channels Stuff:
There are only 3 non-overlapping channels for 802.11b and 802.11g: 1, 6, and 11. Configure the first wlan AP to use one channel and the second to use different channel.

Suggestion:
Try setting up both D-Link and LinkSys into WDS mode. I don't think you can due to different vendors but maybe wrong. Once in WDS mode, have one to use 1 channel and the other another channel. If you can't set up WDS mode, set up 2 independent wlan by using different SSIDs and tell tenants to connect to appropriate SSID.

There can be the capacity problem too. D-Link (or any AP for that matter) can only handle certain number of connections. So when it sees 17 connections connected to it, it drops some of them. To solve the capacity problem, you can add some more access points. The more AP you add, the more maintenance they incur.

What my final suggestion is to set up WDS with one vendor and one model. Use different channels between adjacent APs. The model I suggest is LinkSys WRT54G. See my post here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-24926_18_0.htm...
May 8, 2009 11:09:37 PM

Hi thanks for the reply and for the advise. Ill take your suggestion. Then ill post a message again to let you what happened with our WLAN.

Thank You so much.

Warren
Related resources
!