missing or corrupt.....hal.dll...please reinstall...

I have a workstation running XP Pro that displays the following error message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252#kb2 does
not help.

I did get the machine to at least prompt me for OS choice, yet Windows 2000
Professional was the only OS option listed.......
5 answers Last reply
More about missing corrupt please reinstall

    Try tapping the F8 key on starting computer,select at info page,safe mode,
    open xp as administrator,open administrator tools in control panel,event
    viewer,get more details.You could also,boot to xp cd,select install xp at
    info
    screen,repair this copy,you only loose xp updates.

    "John Fischetti" wrote:

    > I have a workstation running XP Pro that displays the following error message.
    >
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    > Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
    > Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252#kb2 does
    > not help.
    >
    > I did get the machine to at least prompt me for OS choice, yet Windows 2000
    > Professional was the only OS option listed.......

    I just had this exact same problem, and I was so frustrated with all the
    other problems I've been having of late, that I finally formatted my C drive
    and reinstalled the OS. I'm on the road to recovery now! :-)

    Visit my web site http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    button and take a look at question 36 to see if that helps.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "John Fischetti" <jfischetti114@hotmail.cam> wrote in message
    >I have a workstation running XP Pro that displays the following error
    >message.
    >
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    > Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
    > Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252#kb2 does
    > not help.
    >
    > I did get the machine to at least prompt me for OS choice, yet Windows
    > 2000
    > Professional was the only OS option listed.......

    Thank you. I have already performed these steps.
    Now the computer prompts me for an OS, I choose XP Pro and it then prompts
    me to choose how it starts Windows(Safe Mode options)

    If I choose Safe Mode it locks after loading mup.sys

    "John Barnett MVP" wrote:

    > Visit my web site http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    > button and take a look at question 36 to see if that helps.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > "John Fischetti" <jfischetti114@hotmail.cam> wrote in message
    > >I have a workstation running XP Pro that displays the following error
    > >message.
    > >
    > > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    > > Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
    > > Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252#kb2 does
    > > not help.
    > >
    > > I did get the machine to at least prompt me for OS choice, yet Windows
    > > 2000
    > > Professional was the only OS option listed.......

  5. This is what i did to fix the issue. Took a hour to find what was making the error (missing HAL.dll)

    Use your XP boot CD, act as if you are going to install XP again, once you see the list of partitions note the partition number that is having the issue.
    For me I had 4 partitions and the HAL.dll issue was with partition 3 (winxp).

    One of the other parts was (Windows 7).

    I slaved the drive on a different system ( or do it from Windows 7 the other boot OS) and adjust the boot.ini file to be the right partition number.

    Once done all worked. I can dual boot Win 7 and XP Pro :)

    PS: I had Win 7 installed first.

DLL Windows XP