Loading raid drivers for win xp pro

steeda

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
I have been trying to install a raid for my msi p35 neo2-fr for 6 months now, i just got my 2 x 150gb raptors. when i make the floppy disk everything is fine. I go to load win xp pro and I get to the part where it wants 3rd party drivers and it lists the correct drivers for raid and sata controllers but when i go to format then install the setup files, it will not copy the drivers for the the raid contoller or sata controller. when it is done install the setup files, i get the blue screen of death when xp loads to start loading the os. Can anyone help me?

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
you may have a corrupted floppy... try a diffrent floppy.
floppy drive may be bad... try a difrent floppy drive.
the drivers may be wrong or corrupted on CD. download them from the net
problem may be in the bios... make sure it is the latest version.

my 2¢

^I'll add a few more that come to mind, in order of steps to follow with most common errors people seem to make:

RAID not enabled in the BIOS- You have to enable the RAID controller to get the RAID BIOS screen to show up during POST, with the option to enter the RAID BIOS (which is seperate and different than the regular BIOS)

RAID not setup correctly in the RAID BIOS....During POST does the RAID controller appear and show the 2 drives as a "Striped Set" or "RAID set 0" or something like that, with 300gb of space? If you are not seeing this, go into the RAID BIOS and set up the array correctly.

And last but not least, the most important and overlooked-the-most problem, are you using the correct driver? Sometimes you have to hit "pagedown" to see all the drivers on the floppy. There is no scroll buttons, and there is usually more drivers below the ones you see on the screen initially, and usually they are located down towards the bottom so you cannot see them without scrolling down using the page down feature.

And last but not least when you get it working, you better have a good backup plan. RAID is good, if you use a good backup.

steeda

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
ok tried 15 different 3.5in floppies, tried 6 different floppy drives, and i have setup the raid correctly in bios. i created a stripe raid 0, it shows up in the boot screen before the win xp setup and loads the drivers from the floppy correctly b/c win xp sees the drive at the initial setup screen but when it copies the setup files, it wont load the intel drivers for the ICH9 chipset, i downloaded them from intel and msi website. anymore suggestions

You have the correct type of RAID array selected in the Main BIOS, you have the boot order set to boot to the array, you have the array set as bootable, and finally you are positive you are using the correct driver set?

steeda

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
yes, to all, i am using the correct driver or else i wouldnt show my hard drive in the create partitian/format/setup screen of win xp, i should have my cd rom / hard drive/ and any other device in that order when installing xp pro

Yes, if you get that far everything should be fine.
If it indeed sees the array, starts the install by copying all the setup files, I am with you, it ~should~ be good to go.
Sounds like maybe a memory issue? (first thing off the top of my head) Try removing all but 1 stick of memory. If this works, and windows finishes it's install, then reinstall the rest of the memory.
This is a Vista 64 trick, but it may help here as well?

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

the vista trick is due to Vista installer BSOD in during install when u have more then 2 gigs of ram...

to OP
do you have more then one Drive in your machine... yes u have more then one due to raid, but any other drives that are not part of the raid?
or posibly other partions?
it could be screwing things up there as well...

steeda

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
ok, i get you, on the msi forum, they are saying that my install disc needs to be sp2, i cant reply to that b/c I dont know but i will check when i get home, funny is that vista will install on the raid just fine but xp pro will not, it keeps telling me that I need to insert the correct cd disc but its not copying from the cd its copying the file from the floppy, it maybe my install disc, i will definitely be able to find out, i am getting an install disc with sp2 from my IT guy today to take it home and try.