New Q9450 System

Hi,

I am about to build my first computer, and I have decided that the CPU is gonna be a Q9450.

The release has been far away for this cpu for some time, but as the time draws nearer I better try be prepared of what to order as the other parts of my system.

By the way, I live in Denmark so there might be some products available to you, which aren't available to me :) The prices I listed is a rough conversion of the price here in Denmark to US dollars.

Let me write up what I have thought of so far:

CPU: Intel Q9450 (425 USD)
CPU-cooler: Xigmatec S-1283 (70 USD)
Motherboard: Asus P5K (120 USD)
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2 x 1 GB (2 GB) / DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-6400CL4 / 800 MHz / ? Bit? ns (70 USD)
Graphics card: Inno3D Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB (255 USD)
Case: Antec P182 (170 USD)
PSU: Corsair HX520W (125 USD)
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ 750 GB (170 USD)
DVD-Drive: Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-S203D (Black) (35 USD)
Operating system: Windows XP Pro SP2

Total: 1440 USD

My absolute max I wan't to pay is around 1600 USD. So if any upgrades is worth a price increase of around 160 USD is really worth it, please tell me :)

I have a couple of questions about some potential upgrades/questions:

1) I have read that the 1TB version of the Samsung F1 HDD is faster than the 750 GB version, but to me 1TB is a bit of an overkill (500 GB is (probably more than) enough for me), but if you think the performance inrease is worth the price increase I could take the expensive one :)

2) Regarding the GFX I have been thinking of replacing it with an Inno3D I-Chill 8800GT 512MB, because it should be more silent, will you advice this? Or should I rather see if I can find the money for a cheap 8800GTS 512 MB (like the one from Zotac)?

3) Regarding the case and PSU I initially loooked at an Antec Sonata 3, but wouldn't a modular PSU like the corsair be a better option? As I'm first-time builder I'm thinking It might be easier to make a nice and clean installation with a modular PSU. But there's also quite a price difference between the two options, so do you think I could spend the money better else where?

Thanks in advance :)

edit: I don't intend trying to OC to the system's limits, since I don't really have experience with overclocking, but I would like to have the opportunity of doing some mild overclocking if needed, and so I can learn something about it :)
18 answers Last reply
More about q9450 system
  1. i would ethier get a better motherboard and ram if you plan to do some over clocking if not that looks just fine.
  2. I would like to have the possibility of some overclocking, but nothing like trying to push the system to it's limits, since I don't really have any experience with overclocking :)

But I thought P5K is a nice motherboard for overclocking?
  3. it depends how far you want to overclock those 45nm are great overclockers you will get 4 gigahertz out of it with little effort. at 3.6 you have a 450 fsb and at 4 you have a 500 fsb i do not have the p5k so i have no idea if it will handle that high of front side bus at that high of fsb my 680i has some problems and yours is a cheaper motherboard but then again i really have no idea on the p5k.
    but i would get better ram then 800 if you plan to overclock past 3.2
  4. Consider getting 2x 2GB sticks. You'll be surprised to see they're about the same price. Maybe 20 bucks more.
    Get the 9800gt when it comes out next month. Since you're waiting anyway.
    Look into getting a Seagate barracuda. Can't beat their 5 year warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052108080+1052315794&name=4GB(2+x+2GB)

Shad0w said:
    Hi,

I am about to build my first computer, and I have decided that the CPU is gonna be a Q9450.

The release has been far away for this cpu for some time, but as the time draws nearer I better try be prepared of what to order as the other parts of my system.

By the way, I live in Denmark so there might be some products available to you, which aren't available to me :) The prices I listed is a rough conversion of the price here in Denmark to US dollars.

Let me write up what I have thought of so far:

CPU: Intel Q9450 (425 USD)
    CPU-cooler: Xigmatec S-1283 (70 USD)
    Motherboard: Asus P5K (120 USD)
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 2 x 1 GB (2 GB) / DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-6400CL4 / 800 MHz / ? Bit? ns (70 USD)
    Graphics card: Inno3D Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB (255 USD)
    Case: Antec P182 (170 USD)
    PSU: Corsair HX520W (125 USD)
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ 750 GB (170 USD)
    DVD-Drive: Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-S203D (Black) (35 USD)
    Operating system: Windows XP Pro SP2

Total: 1440 USD

My absolute max I wan't to pay is around 1600 USD. So if any upgrades is worth a price increase of around 160 USD is really worth it, please tell me :)

I have a couple of questions about some potential upgrades/questions:

1) I have read that the 1TB version of the Samsung F1 HDD is faster than the 750 GB version, but to me 1TB is a bit of an overkill (500 GB is (probably more than) enough for me), but if you think the performance inrease is worth the price increase I could take the expensive one :)

2) Regarding the GFX I have been thinking of replacing it with an Inno3D I-Chill 8800GT 512MB, because it should be more silent, will you advice this? Or should I rather see if I can find the money for a cheap 8800GTS 512 MB (like the one from Zotac)?

3) Regarding the case and PSU I initially loooked at an Antec Sonata 3, but wouldn't a modular PSU like the corsair be a better option? As I'm first-time builder I'm thinking It might be easier to make a nice and clean installation with a modular PSU. But there's also quite a price difference between the two options, so do you think I could spend the money better else where?

Thanks in advance :)

edit: I don't intend trying to OC to the system's limits, since I don't really have experience with overclocking, but I would like to have the opportunity of doing some mild overclocking if needed, and so I can learn something about it :)
  5. dafeeessh:
    I don't know if I am gonna go higher than 3.2 ghz, since I don't know how many difficulties I am gonna have with it (I'm new to this).

But what better motherboard would you (or someone else) recommend?

xxsk8er101 xx:
    9800GT next month? I haven't researched much about this, but I think I saw we shouldn't expect it before june/july?
    Besides that I just read on a german hardware site (http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,635334/News/Intel_Yorkfield_Verkaufsstart_naechste_Woche/) that the Yorkfield's might be released next week, I don't know if this is true, but I would be eager to build my system once I get my hands on the CPU :)

About taking 2x2 GB instead, as far as I can see the price difference is more like 50 USD, I can go take that, but I thought 2 gb was enough for windows xp?
  6. i would suggest the evga 780i or the x48. evga makes overclocking so easy i am 15 and got my q6600 at 3.5 no problem on my evga 680i
  7. I just remember reading that the P35 chipset is the best option if you go with a single graphics card, and that P35 actualy overclocks better than X38 (don't know with X48).
  8. Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX – is projected to be released in late February or early March and is claimed to be based on one GPU. The new model 9800 GTX will replace existing GeForce 8800 GTX, thus, should offer performance on par with GeForce 8800 Ultra and support 3-way SLI configuration. In addition, there will be a the least expensive version of GeForce 9-series called GeForce 9800 GT and due in March or April.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080103223543_Nvidia_Readies_Dual_Chip_Single_Chip_High_Performance_Graphics_Cards.html

unless it's wrong or w/e *shrug*

You're waiting for the quadcore anyway right? by the time the cpu is out and you don't see any signs of the 9800gt then ya get the 8800gt (g92)
  9. Okay thanks xxsk8er101 xx.

Maybe someone could help me with some of my other questions too? :)
  10. $425USD for a Q9450?!

The Q9450 cost $316 but that's in quantity of 1000 and even if
    you just buy one the price is way too high. At least $325-350 is acceptable.
  11. That's just how the prices are :)

For comparison a Q6600 is 310 USD.
  12. Shad0w said:
    That's just how the prices are :)

For comparison a Q6600 is 310 USD.

The Q6600 sells for $254.99 at Newegg
    While I've heard at MicroCenter they're selling for $199. :sol:
  13. There must be someone who can help me out here? I could really use some advice :)

lp231 said:
    The Q6600 sells for $254.99 at Newegg
    While I've heard at MicroCenter they're selling for $199. :sol:

Okay, but I am gonna buy my stuff at danish shops :)
  14. For the Q9450 your going to appreciate it greatly if you go with an X38/X48 due to the P5K needing BIOS updates and what not, also you need to check the FSB speed as stated. You'll be pushing the limits of that board at stock speeds from the Q9450. Also ya you should consider, but not completely necessarily need, DDR2 1066. And lastly, the 8800 is ok but why not hold out just long enough to save up for the newer motherboard and faster mem, by the time the 9800 will be out and you'll be set with a killer rig.
  15. Boonality:

Can you explain how I should be pushing a P5K's limits with a Q9450 at stock? I mean, at stock it's 333Mhz FSB and that should be piece of cake for a P5K, or where am I wrong?

If you are right about P5K needing bios updates before it can recognize the CPU, and the X38 doesn't need it, I think I will consider it - but I've heard that P35 actually overclocks better than X38?

About ram, could these be a good option?
    Crucial Balistix 2 x 1 GB (2 GB) / DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-8500CL5 / 1066 MHz

About the 9800 card I would of course take it if it's in my price range, and if it's getting released very soon.. but if I had to wait another month after q9450 release, I think I will just go with a cheap 8800 and upgrade in a year later or so - if needed.
  16. Ya let me clarify, the capability of the X38 board is a little better than P5K. That's pretty much all I was stating. Really though the biggest difference that I have noticed is the X38 has PCI-E x 16 2.0 vs the P5K having PCI-E x 16. But this has been only in my research that I found this, there very well may be a P35 board out there with PCI-E x 16 2.0 that I am not aware of.
  17. ShadOw, sometimes when you ask for good well intentioned advice on a pc build the water just gets muddier. The system you posted has plenty of grunt for any software you want to throw at it.

You are right in that you have to make your mind up and go for something at some point, and you may as well upgrade the GPU when you need to rather than wait for the 9800, which feature wise has no advantage over the 8800 anyway.

As for the RAM, 1066 is more critical if you want to acheive extreme overclocks, 800MHz should be fine up to about 400 FSB. So i'd sugest, build away, have some fun, and let us know how she goes.
  18. Okay. I just have two questions I would like ask:

1) If I later on decide on going Vista, and would like to have 4 GB ram, would I then need to buy 2x2 GB or can I just plug in two additional 1GB blocks along with the other two?
    I ask because I think I read somewhere that 4x1GB is not good for overclocking, but I might be wrong?

2) If we say I stick with a P35 motherboard, would you then take the P5K I listed?

That's all :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs Systems Product