Barebones setup worth it?

Racktracker

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Hi everyone. I need a little advice on a barebones setup.
This computer would be used for a little bit of light to medium gaming (not in search of maximum frame rates) and internet. I would like to be able to future proof it somewhat, but not the ultimate goal.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3685152&CatId=2405

Other considerations are.
I already have a corsair psu, so I wouldn't really need to buy one.
I can use the dvd drives out of my old pc so I wouldn't need to buy that either.
By the time I add a decent gpu, I will be slightly over budget, but still within range.
I like to have my os on a medium size hd (120 GB) so I would probably want to add a smaller drive to that setup anyway.
I could go either way with the sli option. Don't have any plans to use it, but options are nice.
I will probably want to OC this setup at some point in the future to maximize the useful life of the system.

Having said all that, my questions are;
Is this barebones setup a good buy? or for similar money could I have a better setup?
How good is this MB considering flexibility and future expandability?
Is this proc worth the money or is something better coming right around the corner that will knock the prices down.

Any advice and or recommendations welcome.
tia.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

2. is not entirely correct, with a BIOS update the reference boards(EVGA/XFX and a few others used the default nVidia models) can support 45nm dual-cores, but not quad-cores.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Barebones are cheap and for-now solutions. If you plan on keeping this system and being able to run things well for a long time, never count on a barebones component.

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
From what you've said you're going to do, I'd go with an Intel chipset of some sort,you won't gain anything from the Nvidia board. With the parts you already have, you could probably get a board,Cpu, case, ram and whatever else for $600 at newegg, maybe cheaper on some of it if you shop around. You get what YOU want, not what THEY want you to have.

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
A more correct statement would be some parts of some barebones kits are 'cheap'. I have taken advantage a couple of barebones kits in the past and have had good luck with them. Depending on the kit you may not get all the features you want or the latest greatest.

Newegg has the Q6700 for $539 so on face value that would appear to be a decent deal. However, is the q6700 really worth that given the near release of the Yorkies? Probably not! But it would still be a great system and with a 10x multi and a good cooler it would easier to get 3.6ghz+ ...plus it is only $100-150 more than a similiar Q6600 barebones kit.

Racktracker

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've been trying to talk myself out of buying the barebones kit and your advice reinforced my thoughts.

I plan on finishing this build up in may or june, so I have time to shop around for deals.