Building My First System - Having Issues... In Panic Mode right now!!

shyguycalif1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
Update 2: Build complete... Issue with BIOS... Long beep... Detailed post below.
Update 1: Build complete... Issue with CPU Loading... Detailed post below.

Original Post
I am building my system right now. I have a quick question. Please advice.

I installed the Q6600 processor on the motherboard (ep35c-ds3r) and put the stock heatsink fan on top of it.... but I did not use any thermal paste or heat sink paste. Is it ok go ahead or am I risking something ????

I am not planning to Overclock the current config.

Please advice if I can proceed further.

Thanks
=ShyGuyCalif

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
If this is a retail chip and this is the first time that either the chip or the HSF (heat sink and fan) have been used, then there is a small pad of thermal goo already on the HSF from the factory. This will suffice. If the HSF has been used already then you would need to use some form of therlmal past. If it is an aftermarket HSF, you would need to find out whether it comes pre-goo-ed or whether you need to put some thermal goo on it yourself. Good luck. And make sure that you follow the instructions and get the HSF on correctly and tightly. :)

The three grey stripes on the heat sink were the thermal material. You are ok there. Do turn the mobo over and look at the back to be certain that all 4 push pins are all the way through, and that the heat sink is firmly secured.

shyguycalif1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
I assembled everything and tried to boot the computer for first time. Finally!!

I saw that all 6 Phase Leds of CPU loading were ON. First 2 were green, Next 2 Orange and also 2 were RED.

The manual says "The number of lighted leds indicates the CPU Loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more number of lighted LEDs."

I have no idea what this means or if it is something bad since all the leds are ON and the RED ones are also bright. Is the CPU (processor) too much loaded?

I have done a very simple setup with NO Overclocking. 2GB RAM and 8600GT card. Thats all!!

I have switched OFF the system (for now) since I was not sure. Please suggest...

=ShyGuyCalif

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Check the manuel. Does it just indicate that the cpu is under load? If so, thats not a bad thing. Its going to do a lot of calculations durring the install. I wouldn't hesitate to put it under load. Just make sure that there is no overheating. Sounds ok to me, though.

shyguycalif1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
I tried to go to the POST Bios Step. The 2GB RAM showed up fine. Also my harddrive was detected as I entered bios. Inside BIOS I enabled CPU warning for temperature above 70C. Saved and restarted. The system does not restart right now.

The BIOS is giving a long continous beep.

I read this http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml. It says it might be Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem. PSU is stock 500W, board is GA-EP35C-DS3R and Keyboard looks fine.

My anxiety level is goning up.

Please suggest....

=ShyGuyCalif

What is the rest of your build? Especially your GPU and PSU information will be helpful in troubleshooting farther. Not all 500w PSU's are made the same, so that is why I'm asking this.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
clear cmos. start over. I think we are alright so far. I am downloading your manule right now.

22) PHASE LED
The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the
number of lighted LEDs

page 33

Let it load. Hell, that just means its thinking

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
As has been stated, check EVERYTHING to make sure it is seated properly. RAM, make sure they are pushed in all the way and the clips are completely vertical. Make sure your video card is seated completely in its PCI-e slot. Make absolutely sure the heatsink is attached properly to the processor. Read and re-read your motherboard manual to make sure you have everything connected as it should be.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

what beep you gettin?

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Another possibility (longshot, but I've seen it happen): check to make sure that there is not an extra standoff behind the motherboard, if an extra standoff is touching the back of the motherboard it can cause it to short out. I RMA'd a motherboard once, thinking it was bad. The manufacturer (ASUS) sent it back saying it worked properly. After many hours and complete frustration I found the extra standoff that was shorting the board. Worked like a dream after I removed the erroneous standoff.