Cant push q6700 any further. HELP!

gordonfreeman

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Hello, I'm having trouble pushing my q6700 any further then 3.1GHz and I'm hoping somebody out there can help!

My Spec

Windows Vista
Intel Q6700 (2.6GHz stock) overclocked to 3.1GHz
Arctic 7 CPU Cooler
Asus P5KC Motherboard
2G Kingston Hyper X Ram (1066)
Gefroce 7800GTX (I know its really old, I cant afford a new one yet!)
500G harddrive
550W power supply (i forget the make)

Antect 900 PC Case with 5 frikin fans on it
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-065-AN
Its got the optional side fan on aswell

This makes the PC super cool but it still doesnt overclock over 3.1GHz without reaching 70C under maximum stress test using intel burntest. Using prime 95 causes lower temps but sometimes i get errors.

Temps:
@ 3.12GHz - Idel at 28-31C
- Under Extreme Stress test 65C Max

@ 3.16GHz - Idel at 36-38C
- Under Extreme stress test - It only hits 70C for about 3-5 seconds and then stays between 40C-68C but its still annoyin. Fails the intel burn test & prime95 (not by a lot, 20% failure) but does not cause the PC to crash or become unstable.

@ any higher overclock it causes the same sort of problems, sometimes crashes & blue screen.

Bumping up the voltage of cpu or RAM makes it stable but temp gets too high (70-71C). I heard you shouldnt get any higher then 71C on the Q6700. Not that it crashes, i just dont want high temps.

Heres my current bios settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner = MANUAL
CPU Ratio Setting: = 10.0
FSB strap to northbridge = 333MHz
FSB Frequency: 312
PCI-E Frequency = 102
DRAM Frequency = DDR2 999Mhz
DRAM Command Rate = 2N

DRAM TIMING CONTROL: Auto
Timing info = 5 -5-5-18-3-42-6-3-3
DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Dynamic write control = Auto
Adjust CHA SKEW Support = Auto
Adjust CHB SKEW Support = Auto

Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = 1.4500
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.20V
NB Voltage = Auto
Clock over-charging voltage = Auto
load line collaboration = Auto
CPU GTL Vol Ref = 0.59x
NB GTL Vol Ref = 0.61x

CPU SPREAD SPEC = Disabled
PCI SPREAD Spectrum = Disabled

CIE Support = Enabled
Max CPU ID value limit = Disabled
Vanderpool Technology = Enabled
CPU + M Function = Enabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled

I figure there must be something wrong with the way I've overclocked it because theres lots of posts round the net of people getting 3.1GHz on stock cooling and a lesser PC. Any suggestions?

Oh and one more thing when i change the FSB Frequency the DRAM Frequency automatically goes up even though its not on auto. So i originally set the DRAM Frequency to 800MHz and increasing the FSB Frequency has caused it to increase the DRAM to 999MHz. There must be a setting somewhere to stop this but I cant find it! Any suggestions?

I have the latest version of my bios.

Thanks for any and all help! I really really could do with it!

gordonfreeman

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Using real temp my current temps are 23-31 idle. I also dont want to increase the CPU voltage more because i've hear raising it more then 1.5V is dangerous.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
10% over factory VID is probably as much as you wanna go for a long term overclock and prolly for an air cooler... have you reseated the cooler? thermal paste? 70C seems a bit high.. list your VID plz.

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
It's a REALLY high voltage for this kind of thing. You shouldn't put your memory on auto, set the timings and ratio manually, sometimes that's the problem.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

set pci frequency to 100
Your ram speed is not right. in fact way too high. disable cie and vanderpool tech.
reduce the voltage or oc to around 3.4. run the prime test.