Sign in with
Your question

Is the 9800GX2 HOT or NOT?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Is the 9800GX2 HOT or NOT?

Total: 97 votes (12 blank votes)

• The 9800GX2 is worth $600 and is the greatest card ever
  • 6 %
  • The 9800GX2 is way overpriced and everyone is better off with the sub $300 cards
  • 80 %
  • No Comment at this time
  • 15 %
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 18, 2008 2:17:14 PM

Ok so here is a crazy poll. I am curious to see what people think of the new 9800GX2. Now that Tom has it's review on it and other sites as well, what do you all think?

I personally think it is a commodity for people who have the cash and just want to have the "best" single card out there. I think with the correct SLI setup of 9600gt,8800gt, or 8800GTS's it would easily and more cost effectively surpass this cards performance. I think the cooler is better than the previous 7950GX2, but it will limit the cards overclocking ability and also aftermarket cooling choices. Since it is basically (2) 8800GTS's running at 600MHZ sharing the same heat sink, it is limited right out of the box.

More about : 9800gx2 hot

March 18, 2008 2:22:04 PM

799.99 in Canada /cry
March 18, 2008 2:32:43 PM

I voted no comment, but I do have a comment. I think it falls under both categories. It outperforms the 3870X2 in most cases, so based on that it's hot. It also cost a little under double what the x2 costs so for that it's not. Also add in the limited amount of memory to the "Not" list.

Give it a lower price tag and at least another 256mb of memory (for high res' and textures) and I think more people would be willing to buy it. Not worth it atm though.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 18, 2008 2:35:18 PM

Well i think that 9800GTX will be best buy (if the price 349$ is true) but GX2 is way overpriced card and its not worth of spending soo much money on card :) 
March 18, 2008 3:21:28 PM

I vote not. It barely has better performance than the 8800 Ultra and is priced higher as well. That, and it sends the heat from the card to the inside of the case. What? Who had their head up their arse on this design? Finally, lack of memory - this card should have been much better, and you know what...it will. They'll call it the 9900 X2, they'll finally get it right and they'll charge a few more hundred dollars for a card that should have been done right to begin with.

I'll be sticking with my 8800 GTX.
March 18, 2008 3:27:01 PM

.... Only reason this card would be sold is for show off rights.
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2008 4:09:29 PM

pongrules said:
I vote not. It barely has better performance than the 8800 Ultra and is priced higher as well. That, and it sends the heat from the card to the inside of the case. What? Who had their head up their arse on this design? Finally, lack of memory - this card should have been much better, and you know what...it will. They'll call it the 9900 X2, they'll finally get it right and they'll charge a few more hundred dollars for a card that should have been done right to begin with.

I'll be sticking with my 8800 GTX.

:pfff:  :pfff: 

They set the card to put the heat into the case? In other words you'd have to put a slot cooler under it to properly vent the heat outside. I am sure that's a great card and the people who designed it are great engineers, but who in their right mind knowing that heat kills components vents the heat into the case??????

March 18, 2008 4:19:49 PM

This card is two 8800 gts' 512mb, wtf that's retarded. It's like the 7950 gx2 when it came out. None the less, one Ultra comes close to it's performance and the 3870x2 is right on it's back. To me guy's this is not worth $$$, I'm waiting for the next gen cards to come out, you'll see whats going to happen. they'll come out with the 10 series and it'll be better even yet. Just by looking at it has a heat issue already. What I think Nvidia should do is an accual dual core gpu not discrete with two boards. Make the SOB 45nm and have it clocked @ 1gz with a bad A$$ heat sink, 1ghz of mem, 768mb bus. Now i'm dreaming.lol :na:  BUt anyway good luck to whom ever buy's this card i hope it does well for you.
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2008 4:30:54 PM

Well, it is definately hot, but not in the way you meant it.
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2008 4:36:59 PM

I agree with you on your analysis Jay.

It's surely the new top single card (if you want to call it that), but not impressive for the money. It seems to match dual 8800GT which is under $400. Dual 8800GTS 512MB will beat it for $450-500. Those who don't want an NV chipset or have money to burn on two of these someday, then maybe it's worth it. To me, it's a big waste of $150-$250 vs other SLI solutions you mentioned. I guess performance wise, it's exactly as expected really.

edit: I need another vote option though. I think people are better off with SLI 9600GT, 8800GT, or 8800GTS 512MB than spend $600 or more on this thing. I guess option two just limited to a single sub $300 card.
March 18, 2008 4:43:13 PM

The more time is passing, the happier I am with my 8800GTX OC2.
March 18, 2008 4:44:18 PM

The 9800X2 only performs much greater than the 8800 Ultra and 3870X2 IF you are gaming at ridiculous high resolutions. If you have the monitors to pull that off, then the price probably is not an issue for you. If you do not game at that kind of resolution, then just go with something around $400 for high end graphics.
March 18, 2008 5:20:29 PM

from what i have seen in benchmarks the 9800 X2 isnt much faster than the 8800 ultra. and for the heavy price tag it carries its not worth it. And its not even DX 10.1. ill pass on this one.
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 18, 2008 5:40:30 PM

spaztic7 said:

Anyone who has an 8800GTX happy. I don't know one person who isn't. Sure it was $$$$ when it came out but it has held its own passing what? 1-1.5 years now?
March 18, 2008 6:04:39 PM

Carmen Electra is hot.
The card's temps are hot.
The card is not.
March 18, 2008 6:05:29 PM

And so it should Jay2tall. You pay 5 hundred odd dollars for any card and it should hold water for at least that amount of time. Longer if you ask me or you've been screwed.
March 18, 2008 6:11:38 PM

Enthusiast builds only at this point.

If the card were $400 like the 3870X2 I'd say go for it if you had the money. But if a 360 or PS3 can both be had under $400, why spend more than that on a damn video card?

I make it a point to NEVER spend $300 or more on a video card. Its just games people!

Now if you need the card (OpenGL and such) for work (CAD, etc.) this is entirely different.
March 18, 2008 6:32:49 PM

Sucks. I hate that they're using their naming scheme to try and sell a few extra parts. These cards should be named the 8900 series pure and simple.
March 18, 2008 7:27:50 PM

While being a owner of the 7950 GX2, Quad SLi cards. I will hold my judgement on the new 9800 Gx2, until I see some reviews on its capabilties using the HDMI port at 1920x1090 on a HDTV.

Since I have a Sharp AQUOS LC-32GP1U I would like to use.
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1834,00.html

Since when using DVI to DVI you have to stretch the image to fit that resolution.. Lets see some Reviews when using HDMI port.....
March 19, 2008 6:30:51 AM

LOL that idiot didn't actually say a X2 "SMOKES" 2x 8800GT's in SLi, did it? :lol: 
March 19, 2008 6:47:59 AM

not quite sure yet
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 7:46:22 AM

jkflipflop98 said:
Sucks. I hate that they're using their naming scheme to try and sell a few extra parts. These cards should be named the 8900 series pure and simple.

Second that:

9800GX2 -> 8800GX2
9800GTS -> 8900
9600GT -> 8700

this is all ATi's fault when they Did the whole HD2900 - HD3870 thing! :D 

Perhaps the 9800GX2 is for users who cant have SLI, the crap thing about that is my ASUS P5B Deluxe (Intel 965 chipset) cant do SLI, but it can do Crossfire - *waiting for ATI to return with a great card* (not happy with there flaws with some games) - nvidia isnt tempting me with this 9800 series, im not biting.
March 19, 2008 8:27:25 AM

I vote "no comment" here. Though the card looks like but highly expensive. I'll think I'll wait for the GT200, though I was leaning towards this card when I heard the GTX was going to be a dud.

Good to hear it outperforms the 3870X2 though.
March 19, 2008 8:59:22 AM

Literally, it's hot
A bit on the expensive side though... I might consider it if Gainward bring out a kick-ass Gold Sample one, they always have very nice cooling systems that get the heat out of the case, as well as a fairly nice overclock

I did see a 1GB 8800 GTS using the G92 somewhere recently though... and since I run at 1920x1200 it's pretty damn attractive...

Damn my P35 for not letting me use sli

Edit: looking forward to seeing what the 9800GTX has to offer though
March 19, 2008 9:36:38 AM

Has anyone heard anything about the GT200 and its release?
Will it be a bigger improvement than this?
March 19, 2008 9:53:39 AM

There's a whole range of cards between sub $300 and $599. I see you left that range out. Why is that? IMHO, the 9800gx2 is overpriced and it doesn't have the cooling the 3870x2 has. I'm quite sure it will be hot in the wrong type of case.

The 9600gt in SLI almost matches it, the 8800gtx in SLI should beat it. Overall, it's only worth it for those with one PCIe x16 slot who have 30" monitors. A 9800gtx might be the best choice until Nvidia comes out with their next set of cards.

How will it do in quad SLI? Triple SLI? We'll have to wait and see, but we already know the 3870x2 does well enough at 24" LCD resolutions of 1920 x 1200, and it does bring something to CrossfireX with a 3870.

So, I could not vote because you didn't mention the price range where the real price/performance lay in both the ATI and Nvidia camps. I'll just finish by saying that ATI or Nvidia, the $349 to $500 range is the true bang for the buck high performance with todays games.

Kraynor said:

Damn my P35 for not letting me use sli

Don't blame your motherboard, blame Nvidia. They got greedy with Intel. Huang lost it when he didn't allow a merger with AMD. He wanted to be in charge. Then, after AMD bought ATI, he wanted a hostile takeover (if rumors were correct). Now, he's up the creek without clear plans for an Nvidia hybrid CPU/GPU for the market where the real money is made; notebooks.

ohiou_grad_06 said:
:pfff:  :pfff: 

They set the card to put the heat into the case? In other words you'd have to put a slot cooler under it to properly vent the heat outside. I am sure that's a great card and the people who designed it are great engineers, but who in their right mind knowing that heat kills components vents the heat into the case??????

Who in their right mind? Nvidia engineers who were probably told to just update the dual PCB design of the 7950gx2 by a CEO who really has no respect for dual GPU and who has no understanding that dinosaur single GPU cards won't be the high end for much longer.

'nuff said.
March 19, 2008 11:22:46 AM

jkflipflop98 said:

+1

Quote:
The 3870X2 is nearly as fast for much much less money. Who's gonna buy this card? Plus with ATI about to release new cards, it wont be king for long.

I am very interested in ATi's next gen cads myself. I havent done much research yet on these, but from what I hear, its going to be a killer card. Then again, thats what I heard about the X2900XTX.... where is the XTX???

deuce271 said:
Enthusiast builds only at this point.

If the card were $400 like the 3870X2 I'd say go for it if you had the money. But if a 360 or PS3 can both be had under $400, why spend more than that on a damn video card?

I make it a point to NEVER spend $300 or more on a video card. Its just games people!

Now if you need the card (OpenGL and such) for work (CAD, etc.) this is entirely different.

You also are forgetting the enthusiasts who are playing these games a high resolutions, 1920x1200 and up. We need powerful cards to handle our native resolutions. Other than that, I agree.
March 19, 2008 12:12:36 PM

I spent $599 for the 7800 GTX the moment it came out... and was clearly the best card on the market for many, many months... hell, it's still gaming to this day! But this GX2 thing? Ugh... too many buts to even be considered. The review mentioned visual distortions, massive performance problems when enabling AA on top of the thermal problems this card can cause. I think Toms review should scare away most early adopters.
March 19, 2008 12:20:29 PM

To me its not cost effective....wait for the 9800gtx's
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 12:33:07 PM

I think the days of the $600 video card are or should be over. I recall building a PII 266MHz PC, 256MB RAM, DVD-ROM +decoder card, 6GB 7200rpm HD, 17"CRT, Matrox dual head card all for $2600 in 1998. Everything is cheaper now due to better manufacturing processes, overseas manufacturing, the universal parts (memory, multiple cards using the same GPU, etc), And all of that jazz.

For $200-$300 you can get a card that plays pretty much anything you want at high settings on a common resolution. The companies that make the cards are realizing they need to bring prices down if they are going to get or keep people gaming on PC's and not switching to the consoles. Dispite the ATI vs Nvidia battles and Intel vs AMD, I think their biggest battle will be with PC gaming vs Console gaming. I know to many people that just don't have the money to keep their PC's up to par any longer. People my age are all getting married now and I hear it more and more, "Dude my wife won't let me spend $1000 into my PC, but I can get an xbox". So PC parts need to stay on the cheap in order to survive.

$600 video cards are not necessarily for the enthusiast, they are for the enthusiast or even more so for the bragger that has a BIG piggy bank. Most enthusiasts purchase more mainstream items and OC them to run better, faster, and perform better. That is a true enthusiast, not some dude that has the $$$ to buy the biggest and baddest and say "look guys, im better". Granted if I had endless funds I'd get the best to, but I don't.

added: And a true enthusiast would know 2 8800GTS 512's in SLI beat this thing anyways.
March 19, 2008 12:36:15 PM

rodney_ws said:
I think Toms review should scare any most early adopters.

The Nvidia comment regarding their view on how dual GPUs aren't the future should scare people away too. It does for me anyway. If the makers of the card are not impressed with it how could I be?

I find it interesting that the GX2 does pretty well in most cases but Nvidia says single GPU is the real deal. Hopefully that sheds some light on how their future GPUs will perform.

jay2tall said:
I think the days of the $600 video card are or should be over.

$600 video cards are not necessarily for the enthusiast, they are for the enthusiast or even more so for the bragger that has a BIG piggy bank. Most enthusiasts purchase more mainstream items and OC them to run better, faster, and perform better. That is a true enthusiast, not some dude that has the $$$ to buy the biggest and baddest and say "look guys, im better". Granted if I had endless funds I'd get the best to, but I don't.

added: And a true enthusiast would know 2 8800GTS 512's in SLI beat this thing anyways.

You know...I have to agree with that. I picture true enthusiasts being wiser and going for performance and OC capability / dollar rather than the most $$$ card on the market. I would say this is more of a bragger card than an enthusiast card.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 1:26:18 PM

SpinachRater wrote :"I find it interesting that the GX2 does pretty well in most cases but Nvidia says single GPU is the real deal. Hopefully that sheds some light on how their future GPUs will perform." What I find disheartening is, more than likely within 2 gens well have to have dual gpus and nVidia will be hoping weve forgotten their bold statements about a single. Using a single IS the best for obvious reasons, drivers scaling being a few reasons, but this continued :im going to stretch this tech as far as it will go" has to end. Look what it did for AMDs K8. As the leader sleeps, the followers get closer or pass them by
a c 143 U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 1:53:15 PM

spaztic7 said:

Same here.

This 9800GX2 is just a way for nVidia to claim the fastest card on the market again. It will look good on marketing brochures and help them sell other, cheaper, cards. I don't think they will sell many GX2s at this price.
March 19, 2008 2:30:50 PM

lostandwandering said:
I voted no comment, but I do have a comment. I think it falls under both categories. It outperforms the 3870X2 in most cases, so based on that it's hot. It also cost a little under double what the x2 costs so for that it's not. Also add in the limited amount of memory to the "Not" list.

On your first point I couldn't agree with you less, second, I couldn't agree more!
Easy way to look at this, when would you ever compare CF'd 3870's to SLi'd 8800GTS's? (which is what these cards are, after all). Never being the answer, so the fact the 3870X2 can hold it's own (up to a point) with a 9800GX2 is in my mind a massive achievement to ATi and a massive disappointment to Nvidia.
I personally think Nvidia are taking the piss with it and know there are people (like those who bought 8800 Ultra's, generally...) who will buy 'the best' regardless of relative performance.
I certainly won't be going to a 9800, my GTXs, in my eyes will have better performance at the res I game at (soon to be 1920x1200) with AA & AF. And there at that res with those filters, I think the 8800GTX will still be beyond the 9800...
March 19, 2008 3:01:48 PM

OK, here is a question. Is it worth me selling my 8800GTX and my EVGA 680i and picking up a x38 mobo that has 3 pcie2.0 slots and getting 3 3870s? There is another price drop that should place these cards right around $150 each.

Would I get better performance from that then my single 8800GTX BFG OC2? My resolution is 1920x1200.
a c 143 U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 3:22:57 PM

I believe it depends A LOT on the games you play. For example I've seen benchmarks where Call of Duty was gaining enormously from the third 3870, but Crysis was gaining almost nothing.
March 19, 2008 3:24:45 PM

Have they got all the drivers sorted then? I thought that was the main issue with the AA. If the drivers are up to date then the 4X AA is really disappointing. But I think that the 9800GX2 really come sinto its own with the higher resolutions, and of course it's the best out there for non-SLI mobos, although unless I had a monitor much bigger than 26" I'd stick with the 3870X2.
What's the top end set-up for an SLI mobo considering that I'm going to upgrade to a 22" monitor? Is there much conceivable difference between two GTs and two GTSs at 1680x1050?
a c 143 U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 3:59:21 PM

I believe two GTs at 1680x1050 will get you over 60 fps in most cases, so you're already limited by the monitor's refresh rate (very often 60Hz for LCDs). The GTSs won't give you any advantage at all over the GTs when that happens.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 5:29:05 PM

jkflipflop98 said:
LOL that idiot didn't actually say a X2 "SMOKES" 2x 8800GT's in SLi, did it? :lol: 

Read the post yourself
Quote:
Sorry monkey boy, but that card will smoke your GT's.

Quote:
95fps can be achieved with a single card that has a single GPU.

Well hitting 95fps and averaging 95fps are two different things. I consistantly hit 95fps with my 256mb card but at 1280 x 1024 and I average about 65fps.

From the thread entitled 'Cod4 with 3070x2 - should i be more satisfied with results?'
March 19, 2008 5:39:13 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
SpinachRater wrote :"I find it interesting that the GX2 does pretty well in most cases but Nvidia says single GPU is the real deal. Hopefully that sheds some light on how their future GPUs will perform." What I find disheartening is, more than likely within 2 gens well have to have dual gpus and nVidia will be hoping weve forgotten their bold statements about a single. Using a single IS the best for obvious reasons, drivers scaling being a few reasons, but this continued :im going to stretch this tech as far as it will go" has to end. Look what it did for AMDs K8. As the leader sleeps, the followers get closer or pass them by

Nvidia pricing on their high end cards has been insane. They could have sold so many 8800 GTX / Ultras. I don't think the GX2 pricing will stay too high seeing that ATI can actually answer back. You will see the typical price drops a couple of weeks before ATI starts their R700 launch. Competition is wonderful. When Intel jumps in the wagon, things will get interesting. Too bad S3 isn't in the picture.
March 19, 2008 8:44:16 PM

you need more options

ya its hot, its the best ? for some! is it overpriced? no - people bought millionsw of G80's you get 2 G92's for the same price
March 19, 2008 9:18:49 PM

I thought this thread had to do with overheating...rats.
!