E6600 Overclock Temps?

cdubbs

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
My specs are as follows:

E6600 - (ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler)
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4P
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
8800 GTS 320
Vista 64bit

I have my Cpu overclocked to 3.45 ghz, (44% overclock), with a voltage at 1.424. My FSB is at 385 mhz with my mutiplier set to 9x. Zalman air cooler running at 100%
(2547 rpm). I am 100% stable.

My temps at idle are:
CPU: 50 degrees C
Core0/Core1: 64/64 degrees C

Im using Orthos to stress test and at 100% load on both cores my temps are:
CPU: 50 degrees C (Didnt change?!?!)
Core0/Core1: 83/83 degrees C

Im reading temps from Speedfan, Everest, and Easytune6, they are all the same.
I was wondering why my CPU temp didn't change from idle to 100% load and if my core temps are normal for this level of overclocking?

I am also able to reach 3.8 ghz, FSB 420 with a core voltage at 1.45 and can boot into Windows, but it proves to unstable for Prime95 or 3dmark06.

randomizer

Champion
I have abused my E6600 and I am fairly sure it took at least 1.6V to get to 83C (as reported with programs I used at the time). Note that if you are topping out at 83C then you are in fact throttling and losing performance. I'd suggest reseating the heatsink. Also, read the C2D and Quad temp guide sticky.

randomizer

Champion
C1E and EIST are power-saving mechanisms. At the temps you are hitting, you're activating PROCHOT, which means your CPU "skips" cycles (doesn't execute any instructions every x number of clock cycles) to reduce heat output instead of reducing the multiplier like C1E/EIST. I don't think many programs detect this, although RMClock can. If your temps went a bit higher, you'd activate THERMTRIP and your CPU will simply halt execution altogether (meaning instant shutdown). PROCHOT and THERMTRIP can't be disabled, for good reason.

cdubbs

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Ok, so the stick says that under load my CPU temp and my Core temps should only differ by at most 7C. Mine differ by 15C under load or Idle. Maybe my temps ar'nt correctly calibrated.

cdubbs

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Well reset the heatsink and back to stock speed and voltage.

My CPU temp is now 31C at idle
Core0/Core1 is now 43/43 C

So there still separated by about 12C

Under load CPU temp goes to 41C
Core0/Core1 Temps go to 54/54 C

So now my Cpu temp is reporting again but there is still a huge separation between my cpu temp and core temps.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Disabling TM2 will disable throttling due to high temps. Some guides say you should disable it. I personally believe it's committing CPU suicide and is of absolutely no OC value, unless maybe you are going for the gold medal and have the cash for a new one.

randomizer

Champion
I was under the impression that TM2 couldn't be disabled. But even if it can be, I agree, why disable it? If your CPU is getting that hot then you should be cooling it more to OC higher, not aiming for world record speeds on air.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
This is out of the GA-EP35-DS3R manual
CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) (Note) Enables or disables Intel® CPU Thermal Monitor (TM2) function, a CPU overheating protection function. When enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced when the CPU is overheated. (Default: Enabled)
Asus just calls it CPU TM Function.

It's there, I have no idea why as well. I'm all for complete control, but that is complete control.

I have strongly cautioned some people to turn it back on. They had turned it off, because they saw it in a guide. :pt1cable:

At least graysky's sticky says to leave it on.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
TM2 is it, you may be thinking of TM1 which is the precursor. TM2 is more complete, lowering the multi (I think) and voltage as well.

cdubbs, your temps are too hot. I don't know what SpeedFan is using for the Tjmax for the e6600 which will affect the temp readings. Try Core Temp and or Real Temp Beta 2.79.8, they should match each other and possibly the other programs you have used. I believe they can be trusted

If you are still showing those high load temps then you are running too hot. Try remounting the HS or get the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 with the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket.

randomizer

Champion
Yea, he boosted it to 90C in one of the latest ones. I think it was for all 65nm CPUs that he changed it by +5C, but I might be wrong. I'll need to go back a few pages in the thread.

EDIT: No, that can't be right, because that would put the Q6600 at 105C again :lol:

cdubbs

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Well I lowered my overclock to 3.3 ghz and under 100% load my Core0/Core1 temps don't exceed 68/68C. Core temps idle around 52/52C. I am getting those temps from Realtemp.