No picture on monitor

Scott_90

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
My friend's 2-3 year-old computer is having some display issues.

It began I suppose 2 days ago where he told me that the computer screen froze while he was reading e-mail. He held the power button to power the computer down. And when he went to turn it on. The monitor had no picture.

He bought a new video card and the monitor still does not have picture. We then tried a working monitor and still no picture.

The cpu fan, the case fans the cd drives, the hard drives all are running. The old video card fan spun too. The only difference my friend reports to me is that the computer doesn't make that 'beep' sound when you first turn it on.

I believe it could be the power supply or the motherboard and possibly the old video card still works? What do you all think?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Wonder if somehow his slot got burned? Try to use a different monitor with it first though. I work as a computer tech and a lady had a monitor act like that, she was going to bring the machine in, but she tried another monitor first and it worked.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
He tried a different monitor already I think ...

Anyway, IMO that could be PSU or mobo issue .. Try to swap PSU.

BIGBIKER

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
try removing Bio's battery on mother board looks like a watch battery wait for 30 to 40 sec and put back in and plug back in if monitor kicks on hit F10 to get into bio's setup if you have XP its F1 check booting priority and power saving modes set bio's to default and disable power save and save your settings hope this helps