Running 8GB DDR2 Stable and Customer Support- Which Board/Chipset

Dodgexander

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Hi Guys.

Im looking to replace a troublesome F190HD Abit board with a rock solid replacement.

I have been looking at the P35, X38 and X48 chipset and the various manufactures.

Mainly ive been looking for compatibility with the 6GB of Adata Value Ram i am using in my pc.

(2x2GB DDR2 800 and 2x1GB DDR2 800 CL5)

My motherboard makes a shambles of detecting the memory correctly and ive been informed that its simple an incompatibility problem.
Along with random crashes and Abit customer support telling me that vista x64 is too much for pc, along with the AHCI function to be broken, ive realised i need to get a new board.

I was so disgusted in Abits customer support, i really want to buy from a company such as EVGA to know il be backed by good customer service.
Its a shame that the nvidia offerings i see either have SLI (that i dont want) or are based on the older 6xx chipset and dont perform as well as intels offerings.

So, the usual story, please help me decide on my board!

Criteria:

Running 8 GB DDR 2 as advertised. Manufactures ive seen always advertise 'up to 8GB DDR 2". However when checking compatibility on the very next page, there are usually 1- No 2gb Dimms tested OR 2- They can only be used for 4GB (ie 8gb wont cut it).
I realise this is specific to brand and chipset and since i have Adata ram, this makes it even harder for me! I just wondered if anyone is running 6GB-8GB with their system?

Customer support, please please give me your feedback about this! Surprisingly all over the internet i can find barley NO customer support remarks.

I just want to know who have the best backup service, response time etc.

My Specs which will go with the board.

Corsair 620W PSU
6GB Adata value DDR 2 800
E2160
WD7500AAKS
NEC IDE CDROM
Audigy 2ZS

Finally, after search the forum, i realise there are threads relating to 8gb DDR compatibility and problems etc, however this still doesnt answer my question.
So dont tell me i didnt search first!

Any feedback is very much apreciated!

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
8gb on my GA-G33M: 5-5-5-15-2T 1.9v 400mhz
No problems at all !
My experience with newegg service ... ftw

What is the question? Not sure if this answered it.

For best response time/service, go to a local shop. For me, there is one two companies down from where I work that my employer also uses. I handed them the bad part, they handed me a new one. They build/install for companies. They still talk to me. Of course, this all requires building a relationship.

I'm not sure I'm helping ... but I hope so ...

Dodgexander

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks ctbaars

Im just looking to buy a new board from a manufacture with 1- Good Customer Service (i mean service this is, aka how you get treated WHEN it goes wrong, not the % of how many boards do go wrong)

2- Compatibility with my ram, or 8gb ddr2 800!

Just looking for other peoples experiences really.

And yes, thanks for letting me know ur runnging 8gb! Do you know what brand memory it is? Edit # just saw your config!

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
ASUS P5WDH - 8GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX
Running stable for several months now - (not overclocking though)
(Vista x64 Ultimate)

sativa1234

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
i have asus maximus formula se.. with qx9650 1600fsb processor.

my board supports up to 16gb and up to ddr2 1200mhz speed.

I can NOT get ANY RAM to work with 8gb @1066 (4x2gb). I have tried:

corsair dominator
ocz
patriot
& g skill. g skill said they verified that this ram WILL run all 8gb's @1066.. But i do not think they tested it with my processor. I think my processor + the high speed & amount of RAM are TOO much for the CHIPSET. but even when i go down to fsb 266 I still get issues upon startup.

ASUS told me to use 8gb of ddr2 800 is my best option for 8gb. But i want FAST RAM & FAST PROCESSOR!!

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I'm running 8gb ocz platinum ddr2 880 (4x2gb) on a p35-ds3l. Stability is an issue. The memory controller requires alot of tweaking to stably run 8gb of RAM. I have to give more voltage to the gmh, and run the DIMMS @ 2.3v to run at the rated 4-4-4-15 2t. Even then it's not rock solid, so I run them at 5-5-4-15 3t.

Separately, as 4gb kits, this OCZ overclocks quite well. I've pushed it over 100 with CL6 timings, but with 8gb, it doesn't like to inch much past 800mhz.

I have an asus p5q-e p45 board in the mail. Hopefully it's memory controller is a little stronger. I run a q6600 oc'd to 3.6ghz, but don't oc the RAM (1:1). I wouldn't recommend more than 4gb if you are overclocking. I only run 8gb because it really helps with running half of the adobe creative suite at once.

Frankenpunk

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Clownbaby (and anyone else!), I need to pick your brain...

I'm running 64-bit Vista on
■Asus P5Q-E
■Q6600
■8GB RAM (4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz 5-4-4-15 @ 2.1V)
■XFX 8800 GT 512MB

I use much of the Adobe Creative Suite for my day-to-day work.

My system wouldn't run with all 4 DIMMs until I manually adjusted the
■timings from Auto to 5-4-4-18,
■tRFC from Auto to 60, and
■DRAM voltage from auto to 2.0V

While these settings were adequate for the system to run, it has never been really stable. I get many application hangs. At first I got a BSOD every few days, but now, a few BSODs daily--and not necessarily during stressful use. I updated to BIOS v1306, memtest86+ gave no errors, using latest Nvidia drivers.

How would you proceed to attain stability?
I assume changing BIOS settings is the ticket, but I'm not sure what to try.
I also can't say for sure that the problem isn't something else (harddrive? graphics card? Mobo?)