Need Case + PSU for ~$100

Status
Not open for further replies.

thealimo919

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Hey guys, first time poster :)

I couldn't find a search button so forgive me if this has been posted before.

I'm looking for a new case and psu for my next rig. I like the look of the NZXT Lexa BlackLine but I don't think I'll be able to get it with a PSU for ~$100. I think the Antec Sonata III + EarthWatts 500w PSU isn't bad at $96 ($106 at buy.com - $10 Google Checkout).

I can get the EarthWatts 500W PSU for $50. Are there any good cases for ~$50? I think the centurion 5 is okay, nothing special. Anything else?

Or any cheaper, good PSU's?

BTW, I'm looking at having the following put inside the case:
Abit IP35-E
E2160 - E2200 (depends on E2160 availability)
Samsung 250GB HD250HJ or Samsung 320GB T166
2x1GB G.SKILL DDR2-800
DVD burner
GPU is undetermined. May be as weak as a Radeon HD 3450 or up to an 8800GTS.

Alright, well thanks for your help guys :)

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
You don't need much, 4-500w should run that, but you may curse yourself if you dont shoot just a little higher so you can upgrade to quad core or a better video card later.

Case : Want something fancy, or just a case. Door, window, how many fans do you want? What cpu cooler will you be using and will you overclock? Gotta know what cooling properties you need, otherwise go on craigslist and scrap a used computer to use its case for $10.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Although you should almost never use a PSU included with a case, in this case the PSU is an 80+ efficiency certified Antec Earthwatts 380W, so a decent budget power supply included: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129031

The other thing I'd recommend is this power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703010 (PC Power and Cooling Silencer 360W)
and then find a cheap case like this Cooler Master Centurion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119047

thealimo919

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the links evongugg. I've looked at 3 of them before and they see to not have been updated. For example, I've been looking at the Corsair VX450w (which I know has been reviewed as very quiet and is 80-PLUS certified) and the Antec EarthWatts 500w. Neither showed up on the lists.

rockbyter: Sorry for not giving more info. I think an Antec EarthWatts 380W would be enough for me, but as you've mentioned, I don't want to be limited in the future so I'm looking at the 500W version. I will be using the stock CPU fan (I won't OC until we need to). If it has fans, that's great. Otherwise, I can go out and buy some and add them myself.

Here's what's important: it is within budget; good quality; it looks decent (I have no preference over door or window. I like the NZXT Lexa, Antec Sonata III, P180/182B, and some other cases that are simple but don't look cheap).
Here are some bonuses: good air flow and not loud.
Less important bonuses: has fans/cable management stuff/etc.

I'm fine with getting it from craigslist...but I'd still like it to fulfill as many of the above requirements as possible.

thealimo919

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Gravemind123, I don't like the white/black case you linked (the Antec), but I do like its all-black version. And it's $30 cheaper! I'm just curious, will the PSU be able to handle a future quad-core upgrade with an 8800GTS? That's the reason I was looking at the 500W version. If the 380W version can handle it all though (I'd prefer at <80% load), then this will definitely be in the top 3.

Thanks for the link. Also, I used to not like the CM Centurion 5, but it's kind of growing on me I think. Do you know if there's a B&M I can check it out at?

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'd take this Antec Earthwatts 500W http://www.directron.com/ea500.html at the same price over the Silencer 470W as it would provide 8 amps more on the +12v lines, or in terms of wattage, 96 more watts. The lower wattage Silencers issue is that they have relatively weak +12v rails, great quality and stability, but not the most powerful things.

As for a brick and mortar to look at the cases at, I know MicroCenter carries Antec cases and I think Fry's has both brands for sale if you have either of those stores near you. The Centurion line is quite nice looking, I have two friends with them and they are quite basic looking, but not in a bad way.(My favorite case maker is Lian-Li, and if you've seen their stuff you can tell I don't like flashy cases)

If you find another case with a power supply, avoid it unless it is made by either Antec, SeaSonic, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone or Enermax(and only above 400W in this case) or else it is going to be junk. CoolerMaster PSUs are weak, so don't get an included PSU on a CoolerMaster case. As for Antecs, try to avoid the "Basiq" line of power supply in a case as those are not made by SeaSonic like the better Antecs, but made by FSP and have weak +12v lines.

_visual

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I have the Corsair VX450. Really happy with it. It sits at the bottom of my CM690 (which I also recommend, not sure about the price in the US though), so it pulls in its own cold air, and it's really quiet. Runs my system (see sig) well.

Solution

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'd be wary of the StealthXStream as it is a rebranded FSP Epsilon which can have trouble with voltage ripple at higher loads. You really do want something SeaSonic built when it comes down to it as those seem to be the best quality in the sub-600W range and some of the higher wattage models. Antec Earthwatts/NeoHE/NeoPower, PC Power and Cooling and Corsair are all SeaSonic made.

thealimo919

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the link why_me. I like that case. I think I'll stick with Gravemind's recommendation on the PSU though.

Also, thank you _visual for your input on the corsair psu.

Just wondering, do PSU's ever go on sale??

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
PSU's go on sale from time to time, my girlfriend picked up an Earthwatts 380w for $35 on Newegg a month ago, but the sales seem to come and go and on quality brands you have less of a chance of having a sale that has a major price drop, but they do happen. Shop around the net too, I got my Antec NeoHE 500W for just under $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.