Sign in with
Your question

4GB Reaper and Vista 64 problem

Last response: in Memory
April 28, 2008 10:32:12 PM

Hi all,

I recently built my first PC and everything went well - but i have a slight query about my RAM. I'm using 4GB OCZ Reaper (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...) in a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R board and Vista 64.

I'm a bit of a noob at this, but my RAM doesnt seem to be running as fast as i had hoped (or all of it isnt being addressed). I have manually altered the timings and voltage in the BIOS to what they should be (4-4-4-15 @ 2.1v) but i just got a message telling me i was running low on memory - that shouldnt be happening right (even with the page file reduced to 1gb)?

CPU-Z shows 4GB RAM running at the correct timings and at 2T????
Task manager shows a total of 4GB, cashed 3 GB and free 0GB (whilst compressing a folder and running internet and a few windows)
System information shows the following (which makes no sense to me):

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.42 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.93 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.26 GB
Page File Space 1.00 GB
Page File X:\pagefile.sys

Hope that all makes sense to someone!!!!!
Is there a RAM issue or was i expecting too much??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob
April 29, 2008 12:00:18 AM

Let windows manage your Page file even with 4 gigs. Vista X64 likes more then 4 Gigs.

have you had lock-ups? If so run Memtest and see if you have a bad Stick of RAM.

The system info Looks good except for ther pagefile size.

1Haplo
April 29, 2008 7:42:41 AM

Cheers,

I have not had any lock ups - just seems to be a bit slow. I will increase my page file and see what happens.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.42 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.93 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.26 GB
Page File Space 1.00 GB

Can someone explain why it is saying there is only 2.42 available physical memory? Does it take into account what is currently being used? Also is virtual memory not the pagefile and if so why is it saying 4.93GB when i have it set to 1GB.

Sorry if these questions are a bit noobish!!!!
Rob.
!