Sign in with
Your question

Need Help finding SLI mobo... P7N or P6N?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 29, 2008 1:26:44 AM

Hello... I am currently looking for a good [budget] mobo for the shiny new e8400 that I will buying tonight [:) ]. Here is what I am looking for in a motherboard, and I have no preference to what company it is from:

2 PCI-Express 16x slots. Don't care if it's more, I won't use them. PCI-E 1.1 is fine. There really isn't much of a performance different between 1.1 and 2.0.
4 DDR2-800 slots... der
An esata port would be nice, though I dont care.
Good audio! At least Realtek AC888!

The Two motherboards that I am looking at ATM that are in my ~$150 price range are:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum
MSI P7N SLI Platinum

Assuming I will only use 2 PCI-express slots, is there really any reason to get the P7N over the P6N? I will only be doing some mild overclocking... meaning I will probably only OC my e8400 up to 3.4-3.6Ghz. Will the P7N have more upgrade room in the future? Meaning support with 32NM+? The P6N right now just got support for the e8400, and I will probably have to flash the BIOS out of the box. Thanks.

April 29, 2008 3:34:33 AM

i just ordered the p6n looks like thats a good choice not to expensive. theres no pt in future proof the cpu will use different socket.
April 29, 2008 4:01:18 AM

holy crap I didn't think about that. I forgot that most Nahelems would use a new socket. And I came this: <--> close to ordering the P7N over the P6N, (right now!) which costs ~$50 more because of a special deal. I probably won't upgrade for 2 years anyway, and theres no way that 775 will have some new processors by then. No way it's worth the money. P6N it is, thanks dude.
Related resources
April 30, 2008 8:10:21 PM

ya no problem let no how ur p6n works im getting mine friday i posted a new thread asking ppl for there opinion on the p6n just do dig more info on the mobo.
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2008 8:49:02 PM

What about the Abit IN9 32X-MAX Wi-Fi?, is that not available where you are?, it has recently come down in price by a huge amount in my neck of the woods and so far has been a rock solid performer.
April 30, 2008 11:34:56 PM

^nope, that abit board isn't anywhere. Regardless, I just ordered the P6N, I think I will be happy enough. I live in the USA... dunno where you live but it isn't even on newegg.
June 4, 2008 2:28:03 AM

Since I'm in the same situation you are in (or were), I'm curious how the mobo worked out.
June 4, 2008 3:53:54 AM

MadBadger said:
Since I'm in the same situation you are in (or were), I'm curious how the mobo worked out.

Failed. The MSI P6N SLI Platinum would not boot with an E8400 even with a BIOS update. I already lost enough money RMA'ing all sorts of crap, so I went for a much cheaper (good overclocker) GA-EP35-DS3L. The Gigabyte board booted right away. Very dissappointed with MSI, especially when they say it should work.
!