Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can OS cause bottleneck phenomenon?!

Last response: in Windows XP
July 26, 2010 1:48:07 AM

Hello,
and Greetings,
I recently built a computer, my first time, and I've been disappointed due to it not performing the way I want it to. First off, I'm running a i7 930 with 6 gigs of tri-chan. memory, gtx 470, on the asus p6td deluxe mobo. With that said, I planned on getting windows 7 but can't just yet, so I have installed windows xp for the time being. The problem is that i get a few second delay/lag when I do multiple things, ie.. opening browser, loading msgr, youtube and just minor stuff. It would stop and load for a few seconds before it gets back to functioning.. so my question is.. is this the problem with me running windows xp 32bit with the i7 processor? or is it hardware issues that i'm getting? But I am able to run left 4 dead (1) without it doing the delay/lag problem, it just seems to show itself when i do multiple things at once..

Thanks in advance for replies!

More about : bottleneck phenomenon

July 26, 2010 2:32:40 AM

Switch to a fast SSD storage device, dump the hard drive.
m
l
July 27, 2010 3:48:31 AM

sorry that didn't really answer my question :\
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 27, 2010 4:09:12 AM

I was afraid that would happen.

I said that from my own experience. I have an IBM X41 tablet computer that was an alright little machine. I bought a 128GB SSD drive for it and it was an "Oh My Gosh" change. Now, it is so fast that I can see that the video system sucks. I couldn't before. The thing is just plain fast now.

For yourself, perhaps you can find a small SSD on eBay just to try it out. I think XP can run with an 8Gb drive. They're cheap at that size. They seem to get faster at or above 32 GB. (About $100.00).

Otherwise, check your BIOS for control of the L1, L2 cache. If set wrong, it will be quite slower than expected.
August 3, 2010 12:01:47 AM

okay, i figured out the problem a couple days ago.. was kind of dumb.. the harddrive i had was a WD 10EARS, so it was the advanced format thing they had that caused the problem.. ran the WD Align program and all went well. Thanks a lot for your help tigsounds
m
l
August 3, 2010 12:01:53 AM

Best answer selected by jonw1ngwong.
m
l
!