Sign in with
Your question

Can we expect to play Crysis at high resolutions on High this year?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crysis
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2008 8:06:13 PM

I just set my computer up with a 40" 1080p TV as a monitor and am saving up again to build a new PC. My crrent yard stick is going to be the ability to play Crysis on High at 1920x1080. There don't seem to be any GPU solutions out currently that can do this at a comfortable price. So what are the chances that something will be released this year that will be down to manageable prices by the end of the year?

Nvidia's 9000 series doesn't seem like it'll be able to do it. What about the proposed specs for ATI's HD4000 series? Anything know to be in the pipeline behind these?

More about : expect play crysis high resolutions high year

March 19, 2008 12:46:48 AM

The lack of response doesn't really fill me with confidence that my dreams of big screen Crysis will be fulfilled this year...
March 19, 2008 1:07:44 AM

yeah
u can just taking all those choppy frames and imagine them running fluidly :D  works for me lol
Related resources
March 19, 2008 1:12:49 AM

Q9550 @ 4.0ghz
9800gx2 in sli will give it a good go...

March 19, 2008 1:22:04 AM

High is pretty easy with current cards, if you are referring to maxed out or "very high" (vista only) then we have a little ways to go. According to extremetechs podcast, they got up to a 100% performance boost at high resolutions on very high with patch 1.2. Mix that with the HD4000 series or nvidias gt200 gpu and things are looking somewhat promising.
March 19, 2008 1:49:22 AM

I look forward to the summer when the new cards arrive.

Until then, there's mastercard.
March 19, 2008 1:50:43 AM

Yeah i dont see it happenin, not this year anyhow, ati need to get back on the horse b4 we see some real innovation in our graphics cards until then, I dont think we would have even seen the 9xxx series yet except ati brought out there x2 chip, and nvidia felt the need to retaliate....
March 19, 2008 1:55:13 AM

The 8800GTS / GT models were still selling rather well though...
March 19, 2008 2:01:16 AM

My 8800GTS 512 will play Crysis @:

1680x1050 on High (shaders on very high, shadows and post processing on med) and get ~30fps

1280x720 on Very High 2xAA (shadows and post processing on med) and get ~30fps

I'm afraid the words "Crysis" "Very High" "1920x1200" won't go together until the next generation of cards comes out.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 2:03:39 AM

I think it is a bug they put in on purpose to make everyone think that their graphics cards are inferior :D 

Seriously though, I think new patches + new cards by ATI and nVidia due out this year should give it a run for its money. It is only March after all.
March 19, 2008 3:07:06 AM

I really hope the GT200 and the RV700 will be able to play Crysis on full settings.

I wish NVIDIA and ATI would release their monster cards instead of their revamped G92's and whatever.
March 19, 2008 3:07:55 AM

I would just put the game away. Then this time next year, act like its a brand new game, and by that time cards will be able to do it.
March 19, 2008 3:09:48 AM

Well the 9800x2 IS the fastest card out there, but only by a hair, and not at superhigh resolutions everyone is fascinated with right now. But its not a appreciable diffrence for the price your going to pay, 700 dollars for a 30% increase over the gtx8800 is not worth it. You turn on the aa and that drops to only 13%? Definetly not worth it, if this is the best there top end setup is going to give us right now, i dont see the gtx being any better, but well see, right now thats only speculation, but nvidia does seem to fall into these type of patterns...
March 19, 2008 4:13:17 AM

Crysis isn't a good game... dunno why you wanna play it so bad =P
March 19, 2008 4:27:45 AM

Nicocat said:

Are you a wind up merchant?

... or did you pirate the game and that's your weak attempt at justification for not paying for it?
March 19, 2008 6:00:14 AM

Don't you know? The "cool" new "fad" is to act like a hardass against things that lots of people think are awesome, even if you secretly agree with them.

This guy is obviously "cool"
March 19, 2008 7:39:20 AM

Nicocat said:

Thats ok, I dont think world of warcraft is a very good game but apparantly 10,000,000 people disagree with me. Its possible Im wrong and its just that I dont like the game.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2008 8:20:33 AM

dtq said:
Thats ok, I dont think world of warcraft is a very good game but apparantly 10,000,000 people disagree with me. Its possible Im wrong and its just that I dont like the game.

No no, you're right.

@Ragnorok64: Crysis is very playable if you spend the time to tweak it properly. There are settings that use up graphics horsepower without adding to much to the visual side of things.
March 19, 2008 1:40:50 PM

Nicocat said:

I'm sorry buy I agree with him... The game looks great but the gameplay is kind of stupid.

You have to shoot the "bad guys" like 3000 times for them to die unless you have a perfect headshot, then they die really quick.

Also they came up with 4 or five things the Koreans say... the sound acting is probably the worst in memory.

Also swimming in the alien ship in Zero-G was a complete waste of time, I kept waiting for that section to end while holding off the temptation to stab myself in the eye.

March 19, 2008 2:00:27 PM

I thought WOW was so chicks could play games online!

jk
March 19, 2008 2:08:51 PM

well crysis is perfectly playable for me @ high with dx 9 @ 1680x1050 (without aa)...

This is with a GTS 512 overclocked and a Q6600 @ 3,2 ghz (2 gigs of ddr2 800)

i get a nice fps of 35 average on ( benchmark in crysis folder) and in game i can get rated up to 60 ... I don't know if it makes a big difference switching to 1920x1200 but to be honest, it even looks sexy on my old tv @ 1024x768 (tv out cable).

But to answer your question,
It depends on what money you want to spend,
I bet a similar system like mine, with a little bit more gpu power (9800GTX or GX2) can do the 1920x1200...

anti aliasing doesn't add that much of a visual improvement (well on dx9 that is)

I do think this game is visually very stunning, and the possibilities are endless :) 
March 19, 2008 2:39:00 PM

I think this year will be possible.....I get an average of 28.6 frames with
Texture,objects,physics,game effects,paricles and water turned at very high and the rest on medium......and this is done with one card with very little overclock on the cpu.....a hair less than 2.7......@ 1680x1050 with no aa....and the game looks awesome and plays great too....
March 19, 2008 3:02:36 PM

DirtyDrummer said:
My 8800GTS 512 will play Crysis @:

1680x1050 on High (shaders on very high, shadows and post processing on med) and get ~30fps

1280x720 on Very High 2xAA (shadows and post processing on med) and get ~30fps

I'm afraid the words "Crysis" "Very High" "1920x1200" won't go together until the next generation of cards comes out.

2 8800GTS 512mb OC in sli run it very well.
March 19, 2008 3:27:44 PM

I thought Crysis was cool. Maybe some of the end alien/flying/boss levels were weird, but the core jungle/supersuit gameplay was a lot of fun for me.

As far as "You have to shoot the 'bad guys' like 3000 times for them to die unless you have a perfect headshot"...

Well, these are military guys wearing body armor, not naked civilians. It's nice to see a game acknowledge that for once. Besides, if you're such a realism fan, why aren't you complaining that the nanosuit lets you take tons of shots before you die?

Regardless, I'd expect the R700/G200 cards to run it pretty smooth.
March 19, 2008 3:40:09 PM

^^^^ that is a great detailed job right there my friend..

The first 6 levels were great... the last part of the game sucked...

"Nomad's suit is better then Master Chiefs" HAHA
March 19, 2008 3:52:15 PM

Didn't someone have a video up before the game came out with it running on a prototype Nahalem 8 core and it was at max settings getting high fps ?
March 19, 2008 4:59:37 PM

After the release of GT9800x2 and the review of this card inaddition to 700$ I was totally frustrated
I'mwaiting ATI and the new 4xxx
By the way I completed this game on Med. settings and noAA using my old rig AGP8 Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition after tweaking VPU Clock from 540MHz to560MHZ and memory from 587 to 600 and resolution 1280X1024
March 19, 2008 5:17:09 PM

deranged said:
I'm sorry buy I agree with him... The game looks great but the gameplay is kind of stupid.

You have to shoot the "bad guys" like 3000 times for them to die unless you have a perfect headshot, then they die really quick.

Also they came up with 4 or five things the Koreans say... the sound acting is probably the worst in memory.

Also swimming in the alien ship in Zero-G was a complete waste of time, I kept waiting for that section to end while holding off the temptation to stab myself in the eye.

about the 3000 shots, I read loads posts saying that before I played the game, then I bought it and its just not the case. If you shoot in strength mode, your shots wont deviate much at all and a quick burst takes out enemies no problem. If you shoot with maximum armour mode with long-ish bursts most of your shots aren't hitting anything. The enemies aren't really that tough either, maybe we've been molly-coddled by games giving us no-real-threat cannon fodder foot soldiers *cough cough half life 2*.
March 19, 2008 5:27:56 PM

Ragnorok64 said:
I just set my computer up with a 40" 1080p TV as a monitor and am saving up again to build a new PC. My crrent yard stick is going to be the ability to play Crysis on High at 1920x1080. There don't seem to be any GPU solutions out currently that can do this at a comfortable price. So what are the chances that something will be released this year that will be down to manageable prices by the end of the year?

Nvidia's 9000 series doesn't seem like it'll be able to do it. What about the proposed specs for ATI's HD4000 series? Anything know to be in the pipeline behind these?

I think development of drivers, game patches and vista updates play almost as much as a role as development in graphics cards do, in getting crysis to run all max at a high res on anything less than 3/4 gpus. Cryengine2 is THE most complex game engine yet, and vista + DX10 are such a work in progress it's untrue, I think the software and hardware side are equally as lacking in totally conquering crysis. At the end of the year we'll have improved alot on all fronts so we'll see what happens then but Im confident we'll 'get there' by that time. The top range next gen gpus from ATI and Nvidia should make alot better go of crysis than the current ones do.

On a side note Ive been away from home since late december, so I havent played crysis since then and so also I missed the first patch. Im going back for a bit in a few weeks (not just to play crysis lol) so it'll be interesting to see the difference that 3 drivers (from catalyst 7.12 to 8.3) and 2 patches make to performance. I might take some screenies with the fraps counter on and post them on the forum. Although Im thinking it'll just be like just 2-3fps.

March 19, 2008 7:03:13 PM

Well i'll probably be in XP till I get convinced enough to dual boot with some form of Vista so I don't think Very High will be available to me right off the bat. I guess at this point I should just be concerned with saving up a computer fund ans seeing where I can place my upper budget limit.
March 19, 2008 8:16:24 PM

randomizer said:
No no, you're right.

@Ragnorok64: Crysis is very playable if you spend the time to tweak it properly. There are settings that use up graphics horsepower without adding to much to the visual side of things.

Whaaaat? You can change to playable settings? Noooo. Since everyone has been saying they can't play Crysis I thought that it only had one ultra high setting. :ouch:  (I hope you catch my sarcasm)

deranged said:

If you play with the silencers on you will get that problem. They made it so that the silencer decreases the damage the farther away you are from the target. It is really easy to change that though if you know how to mod Crysis. OR...you could play with some balls and take the silencers off [:thegreatgrapeape:7]
March 19, 2008 9:06:14 PM

It should be noted that it's not so much that I desparately want to play Crysis as it is that Crysis is my reference point. If I can put together a comp that sings on a game like Crysis, then I hsould be good for most anything else I'll want to play for some time at least. It doesn't seem that game makers are totally embracing the super high requirement pattern of Crysis in droves.
March 19, 2008 9:45:05 PM

Crysis = over hyped. Most of the game was spent in cloak mode. I wish I wouldn't have blow $50 on it. The only time I load it up is to see how pretty it looks.
March 19, 2008 9:49:54 PM

San Pedro said:
Crysis = over hyped. Most of the game was spent in cloak mode. I wish I wouldn't have blow $50 on it. The only time I load it up is to see how pretty it looks.

It was still a very good single player campaign oozing with eye candy.
March 19, 2008 10:33:25 PM

marvelous211 said:
It was still a very good single player campaign oozing with eye candy.

Yep, second that.

Lasted a hell of a lot longer than CoD4 anyway
March 19, 2008 11:51:08 PM

San Pedro said:

You spent most of the game in cloak mode because you're a confrontation avoiding wussy. At least act like you have a pair and shoot someone.
March 20, 2008 12:39:21 AM

jkflipflop98 said:
You spent most of the game in cloak mode because you're a confrontation avoiding wussy. At least act like you have a pair and shoot someone.

I think it's b/c he thought he was playing "cross the border" game, and thought you were supposed to avoid confrontation.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2008 1:27:51 AM

cleeve said:
Besides, if you're such a realism fan, why aren't you complaining that the nanosuit lets you take tons of shots before you die?

And why does your health auto-regen instead of making you pick up magi-kits?

SpinachEater said:
Whaaaat? You can change to playable settings? Noooo. Since everyone has been saying they can't play Crysis I thought that it only had one ultra high setting. :ouch:  (I hope you catch my sarcasm)

I said "tweak", not "change to playable settings." That means getting a good framerate while still looking good as opposed to getting a good framerate and looking like an alpha build of Far Cry. You need to use console commands not buttons to make Crysis shine.
March 20, 2008 1:32:07 AM

There's 2 things that make a game great: Game play and Graphics

If a game has great game play but real crappy graphics, not many would play.

However, if a game has really good graphics but really crappy game play, I bet more people would play it than the above.
March 20, 2008 2:01:38 AM

Evilonigiri said:

However, if a game has really good graphics but really crappy game play, I bet more people would play it than the above.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but that summation leaves out story, presentation, and character development.
March 20, 2008 2:04:22 AM

agree on that!so what card would you buy next?GX2 or GTX???
March 20, 2008 2:05:27 AM

Evilonigiri said:

i agree on this i mean not the one right above me.
March 20, 2008 2:08:20 AM

cleeve said:
Well, these are military guys wearing body armor, not naked civilians. It's nice to see a game acknowledge that for once. Besides, if you're such a realism fan, why aren't you complaining that the nanosuit lets you take tons of shots before you die?.

First of all please don't tell me about millitary... 4 of my friends were millitary and 1 is a cop now. He also ownes a gun store-

That means I understand armor and weapons

Most rifle rounds will go through a vest, thats just the way it is, most pistle rounds do not. The only vest that can withstand a rifle round is a ceramic vest, or armor. And it's good for one shot then it shatters. So round 2 and 3 and etc. with kill you.

Listen buddy I was making my own opinion on the game and you decided to shoot down my post with stuff you have no idea about. Unlike you, I actually read, learn and understand fully, before I jump into a debate.

And I never complained about Nomad's suit and getting hit, because he was wearing a "super suit", getting hit more without dieing makes sense. I was acually commenting, not complaining to be more acurate there bud, about the "bad guys", and how they take forever to die. Did I once mention the super suit in my post? no I didn't.

All I did was make an opinion on a game and people start ragging because it doesn't match what they think about it, unbelievable.
March 20, 2008 2:09:15 AM

A recent build with Xfire 3870's (OC'ed) and a Q6600 (OC'ed), plays Crysis maxed @ 1600x1200. It's a little choppy at level load, but after that it's fine.
March 20, 2008 2:10:49 AM

Evilonigiri said:

I doubt that is true, it needs to be balanced, and great graphics doesnt make crappy game play any better. If it looks pretty, but you cant move yourself (for isntance) its still a crap game.
March 20, 2008 2:16:57 AM

deranged said:
First of all please don't tell me about millitary... 4 of my friends were millitary and 1 is a cop now. He also ownes a gun store-

That means I understand armor and weapons

Most rifle rounds will go through a vest, thats just the way it is, most pistle rounds do not. The only vest that can withstand a rifle round is a ceramic vest, or armor. And it's good for one shot then it shatters. So round 2 and 3 and etc. with kill you.

Listen buddy I was making my own opinion on the game and you decided to shoot down my post with stuff you have no idea about. Unlike you, I actually read, learn and understand fully, before I jump into a debate.

And I never complained about Nomad's suit and getting hit, because he was wearing a "super suit", getting hit more without dieing makes sense. I was acually commenting, not complaining to be more acurate there bud, about the "bad guys", and how they take forever to die. Did I once mention the super suit in my post? no I didn't.

All I did was make an opinion on a game and people start ragging because it doesn't match what they think about it, unbelievable.

Actually it means your friends knows about armor and weapons, your just a parrot. Also since i actually read on weaponry, and armor, and actually go shooting rather then talking let me set you straight. There are classes of armor, and the lower the number the better the protection. I.E. class one body armor will stop most rounds coming at it. Also there is other types of Trauma pads besides just ceramic and High tensile steel. They dont just shatter, that would be pointless, and our men overseas are living proof that they can take more then one round and still save lives .Next time do what you preach and research before you put your foot in your mouth, not all gamers are geeks some of us are fanboys who actually go out and do this stuff for fun. nuff said.
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2008 2:17:30 AM

*Expects blacksci to say I'm stalking him/her*

@Evilonigiri: People still play Descent, red alert and star craft. They have crappy graphics, but lots of players. Gameplay > graphics any day. And don't forget physics and AI, even more important than gaphics IMO and every game still sucks at both.
March 20, 2008 2:20:08 AM

The cat follows me i swear, and im a him to clarify, lol
March 20, 2008 2:49:54 AM

2x 9800gtx x2 = 1980x1080 very high on crysis
!