Assuage my fears concerning rebates. I've never gotten one.

deltapapazulu

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If I could know with some degree of certainty that I would get my rebate back I would would use them when buying. I have never bought hardware based on a rebate and would like to know if the horror stories are reflective of usual experience. I don't mind getting rebates back after long time, I just want to know if they actually come.

I will start using them to shop hardware if I can be given assurances by folks who have used them often and had good experience.

If you buy from Newegg and the advertised rebate is not honored by the company selling through newegg, notify newegg and they will contact the company involved and assist you in getting your rebate.

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have never had an issue getting rebates back from major manufacturers (Corsair, BFG, OCZ, etc.). Sometimes it may take a while (8 weeks) but I do get them back.

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
I recently finished my first build and got all three of the rebates that I qualified for within 5 or 6 weeks of sending them in. I recently sent in my fourth to EVGA and am hoping to go 4 for 4. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting them, but just in case, make a photocopy of all of the materials you mail them. You never know if you'll end up needing them!

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Some rebates I got but some I didn't. Anyways, independently of the fact that you get it or not, I still think that mail in rebates is a gimmick. One of the big retail store in my neighbourhood got so many complains about MIR that they now give the rebate in store right at the moment of purchase. I think that's the way to go.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
You are also better off looking at products with rebates from well respected companies. They aren ot going to hurt their rep by offerering bogus rebates. Fly-By night companies or lacking a good rep have less to lose by not offering their rebates.

I've never had issues with rebates.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Rebates are an evil, rude gimmick. They waste everyones time and money as they have to pay people to process them. They prey upon the fact that not everyone mails them. They make you jump through all those hoops like a fool. Most of them pay. (not all). There is absolutely no redeeming quality in mail in rebates. Mainly they are trying to tempt you into not bothering-so they can show a lower sticker price but they no not everyone will use rebate. Thats why they dont do instant rebates (even some of those get missed). They also count on the time delay to keep their money longer and make their books look better (but that benifit vs instant is probably offset by their processing costs-Whatever difference that would be is very small). If it's worth more than $20, I get signature confirmation of delivery from post office. That way they cant claim they never got it. When they see that big official sticker on the envelope they know you mean business. I think I heard that Bestbuy has somehow (with suppliers) done away with mail ins? or was is Circuit City? One of them has I think and thats cool.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Rebates are a way for companies to move product. If their products aren't selling well, it's costing them. It's also sort of a double-whammy. They expect a lot of customers to slip up on the requirements so they can deny the rebate. I actually think some companies are vague in their instructions so you miss a requirement.

Here's a bit of advice: Don't buy something just because it has a rebate. Think of it as a bonus that you may or may not get.

When I send one in, I do the following:

1) Triple-check I have the required documents (original UPC, dated receipt/invoice, completed rebate form) and that I've followed any special instructions (eg. circle the purchase price on the invoice).

2) I photocopy these documents twice (I also photocopy the addressed envelope for my records). Keep one full set of copies in a folder until I receive the rebate.

3) The other photocopied set gets mailed along with the originals. This is a backup copy for them in case they "lose" something. It also tells them that I have made copies of everything, so they'd better not try to screw with me. I clearly label the second copy "Backup Copy." I also write a quick note on the photocopied UPC that "this is only a copy - see other bundle for the original UPC."

4) I staple each bundle! This is important. Use two staples and put the original UPC on top so it's visible and secured.

5) You'll need two stamps on the envelope with all these documents. If the rebate is worth a lot (I just sent in a $50 rebate for an Antec P182), I will send it as certified mail for about $2.50. They put a sticker on the package with a tracking number. This way I can track the envelope to make sure they receive it. I also get a receipt which shows the postmark date. I keep this in my folder with the photocopies.

I'm covered if they claim I'm missing a document. I have photocopies of everything. I also have the postmark date and proof they received the envelope. Finally, I've included a backup copy so they know I mean business.

If you don't receive the rebate you can complain to the BBB and Attorney General's office. You can also try contacting the reseller (eg. Newegg) and they might help you. Finally, you can post a negative review on http://www.resellerratings.com. There are a lot of people from newegg on there that didn't receive their rebates. They complained and someone from newegg contacted them (to save face). A lot of the time newegg will work with you to make you happy.

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
MrsBytch wrote
"Most of the time when you dont receive one, its because you didnt follow directions."

BS! I've always filled rebate forms properly and still only recieve about 70% of rebates. After threatening the company I can usually receive a denied rebate but that should not be necessary.

A few companies that fraudulently deny rebates:

Peachtree
Khypermedia
Xion
DLink
Sirius

can't remember the many others

I've filed complaints to both the BBB and California Attorney's General's office and still could not get two seperate rebates from Sapphire, Inc. graphic cards. One ofthe rebates was for a kid friend of my son's. That was before I thought about contacting Newegg and complaining about not receiving my rebates. Sapphire claimed they hired a third party to handle rebates and had nothing to do with it. The company handling the rebates are located at Sapphire, Inc.'s corporate address.

When we buy for our business, we usually AVOID buying ANYTHING with a rebate. We will buy generic or even pay more for a Mfg. selling the same product without a rebate. Rebate is a form of scam. Like Gwertycopter mentioned, "They expect a lot of customers to slip up on the requirements so they can deny the rebate. I actually think some companies are vague in their instructions so you miss a requirement." Duh.

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hey badge,

Not surprising the attorney general's office didn't bother helping you. Here in Minnesota when I contacted the attorney general about an ISP that was defrauding me I was told "you are not going to get anywhere with this phone call". Attorney generals offices do nothing for the individual consumer.

The Attorney General's office has a record of the complaint and an open file regarding further complaints with Sapphire, Inc. and their rebate company. The Attorney General's office had grounds to take legal action on my behalf, although their office did contact Sapphire and got a run a round. Should the office get more and more complaints I'm sure they would take further action.

rts_fan

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hi,

IF you have the time.
IF you pay close attention to ALL the details.
IF you double and triple check. (good idea to have someone you trust check it as well)
IF you keep good records.
IF you check on the status (I stay away from rebates that do not have some way to check the status)

YOU should not have a problem.

State AG offices are not taking it lightly when consumers are being ripped off this way. I had one rebate that the company (Seagate) sent me a card informing me that I had not submitted certain items. When I went down through their list, I realized that if you took them seriously, I had not even submitted the rebate! I threatened calling the AG and I had my check about a week latter.

slyck: If your AG's office is not helping you, go to your state representatives and get their help.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Patriot screwed me on a $50 MIR I bought 2 sets and i only sent in 1 of the $50 MIR 5 months later and i still haven't received anything. I checked that thing 5 times just to make sure everything was right, their loss i will never buy anything from them again.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I have recieved every MIR I have sent out. Follow directions and wait 4 to 10 weeks. Just got one back from Samsung yesterday. No problems with Newegg, ClubIT, or ZipZoomFly.