Sign in with
Your question

I need help with my storage plans. Please and thanks

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2009 11:19:12 AM

Good morning everyone,

I currently have a 1TB drive in my system and it's getting pretty full 128GB left. I really don't have any backup solution and I would go crazy if I lost my data and could not restore.

Computer specs:

q6600
4GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
320GB HDD (for OS)
1TB (only 931GB listed in Vista) used for storage
EVGA 122-CK-NF67-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I was thinking about getting 2 more TB harddrives and using RAID 5.

My question is, will I be able to setup RAID5 with my current hardware and without reformatting my current drives?

Please let me know if you need any more information.

I look forward for all your replies.

P.S. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

More about : storage plans

a c 127 G Storage
April 17, 2009 1:59:14 PM

Don't use RAID5 with onboard fake RAID. And no, you'd have to backup and copy the data back again after you created the RAID-volume during the RAID BIOS setup.

Don't use RAID as a backup; use one seperate drive as backup, without any RAID. You can automate backups with synchronisation utilities. Gives you much more security and flexibility, RAID5 is nice but not with shitty drivers; it'll cause you headaches.
April 17, 2009 5:08:36 PM

heh this sounds a familiar problem, im down to my last 200gb of storage on my backup drives and currently waiting for the 2tb drives to come out at a decent price.

i use two 1tb external usb drives which i mirror so if one fails i have the spare ready, this isnt a raid setup, its just two drives and i use synctoy to keep them uptodate.

so you could get two 1tb (or pay extra for the 2tb versions now) external drives and put your long term storage media on them, which would free up space on the internal drive, the thought of losing approx 800gb of stuff led me to the two drive system as external drives dont appear to be as reliable as their internal cousins.
Related resources
April 29, 2009 4:56:19 PM

I guess I'll have to buy some extra 1TB drives and use them for backup.

I liked the idea of raid because I would have a parity drive just in case one of them failed.
a c 127 G Storage
April 29, 2009 6:42:48 PM

I suggest you buy the WD Green drives, as they make perfect external storage drives. Their power consumption is just half of that of normal drives, and for sequential transfers its still very fast. It also means the drive runs cool and doesnt need a fan or other airflow to generate enough cooling.
April 29, 2009 8:25:53 PM

do you have any enclosure recommendations?
a c 127 G Storage
April 29, 2009 8:29:14 PM

Go with eSATA connection whenever you can. USB2 or Firewire are much slower, though this is only a concern if you need high speed. With an eSATA enclosure you need to have a computer with eSATA ports on the back connectors, if you don't have any but your motherboard has free internal SATA ports you can buy a backplate connecting two internal SATA to two external eSATA ports, allowing you to connect two external SATA disks at native speed. It would also simply booting as it would be seen as an internal device. Make sure you do not disconnect the device before powering down / safe removing the storage volume.
April 29, 2009 8:39:25 PM

thank you for the help

!