Which is Better - 720P w/DVI or 1080i component?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 11, 2005 7:29:49 PM

I have an AKAI PT46DL10. It has a DVI input but seems to be limited to
720P. At 1080i the colors are weird. It has two component inputs but
the second is limited to 480i.

I want to connect a HD cablebox and a progrssive scan DVD player. The
DVD player needs a 480p or better connection to TV.

I originally had the cable connect to the Component 1 input @ 1080i.
I had to move it to the 720P DVI input to make room for the DVD.

Is there a better way to make these connections? I'm worried I'm
loosing a quality image on my TV by going to a 720P from 1080i.

Thank you for your time and help;
Frank
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:49:57 PM

"Philadelphia Frank" <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an AKAI PT46DL10. It has a DVI input but seems to be limited to
> 720P. At 1080i the colors are weird. It has two component inputs but
> the second is limited to 480i.
>
> I want to connect a HD cablebox and a progrssive scan DVD player. The
> DVD player needs a 480p or better connection to TV.
>
> I originally had the cable connect to the Component 1 input @ 1080i.
> I had to move it to the 720P DVI input to make room for the DVD.
>
> Is there a better way to make these connections? I'm worried I'm
> loosing a quality image on my TV by going to a 720P from 1080i.
>
> Thank you for your time and help;
> Frank

Makes little difference since your Akai is only capable of displaying 720
anyway, it down converts 1080i to fit on its DLP chip.

That said, the DVI image is probably the better one since it avoids a D/A
and A/D conversion.
July 12, 2005 2:05:27 AM

"Philadelphia Frank" <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an AKAI PT46DL10. It has a DVI input but seems to be limited to
> 720P. At 1080i the colors are weird. It has two component inputs but
> the second is limited to 480i.
>
> I want to connect a HD cablebox and a progrssive scan DVD player. The
> DVD player needs a 480p or better connection to TV.
>
> I originally had the cable connect to the Component 1 input @ 1080i.
> I had to move it to the 720P DVI input to make room for the DVD.
>
> Is there a better way to make these connections? I'm worried I'm
> loosing a quality image on my TV by going to a 720P from 1080i.
>
> Thank you for your time and help;
> Frank

Will your set display 1080 lines of resolution? If not it is scaling the
1080 to 720 but maybe not 720P so in that case 720P would probably be
better. If yes, then maybe 1080i is as good as 720P but I don't think it
would be better. 1080P would be better.

BC
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:36:39 AM

Thank you for your helpful and timely reply. I've got a lot to learn.

Frank

!