Can't Delete Files

August 2, 2005 5:30:02 PM

I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip address
problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of files from
c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete those
files from e: as the error states that the file is use.

How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can I
delete these?

--
Christopher

More about : delete files

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:41:33 PM

Try booting in safe mode to bypass Windows, then delete them.

"Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
>address
> problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of files
> from
> c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
> those
> files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
>
> How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can I
> delete these?
>
> --
> Christopher
August 2, 2005 6:41:34 PM

"Squire" wrote:

> Try booting in safe mode to bypass Windows, then delete them.
>
> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
> >address
> > problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of files
> > from
> > c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
> > those
> > files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
> >
> > How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can I
> > delete these?
> >
> > --
> > Christopher
>
> In Safe Mode I get the same error messages: I can't because it is a required program or it is being used. I also can't reformat the drive for the same reasons.

August 2, 2005 10:44:36 PM

It sounds like your clean install is on E not C. Go to Start, Run and type:
msinfo32 <then click OK>

About midway down the System Summary page, it will tell you where the
currently running Windows is installed.

PattyL

"Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
>address
> problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of files
> from
> c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
> those
> files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
>
> How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can I
> delete these?
>
> --
> Christopher
August 2, 2005 10:44:37 PM

Well, how about that, it is on e:
So, is my only option to reformat c: and reinstall XP hoping it will install
on c: this time?
--
Christopher

"PattyL" wrote:

> It sounds like your clean install is on E not C. Go to Start, Run and type:
> msinfo32 <then click OK>
>
> About midway down the System Summary page, it will tell you where the
> currently running Windows is installed.
>
> PattyL
>
> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
> >address
> > problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of files
> > from
> > c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
> > those
> > files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
> >
> > How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can I
> > delete these?
> >
> > --
> > Christopher

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:58:29 AM

Type cmd in the run box and press enter. Then type path and press enter,
what does it show?

"Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
>address
> problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of files
> from
> c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
> those
> files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
>
> How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can I
> delete these?
>
> --
> Christopher
August 3, 2005 1:58:30 AM

e:\documents and settings\christopher>path
path=e:\windows\system32\;e:\windows;e:\windows\systems32\wbem;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\windows\twain_32\scanwiz;c:\windows\twain\scanwiz
--
Christopher

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Type cmd in the run box and press enter. Then type path and press enter,
> what does it show?

> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
> >address
> > problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of files
> > from
> > c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
> > those
> > files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
> >
> > How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can I
> > delete these?
> >
> > --
> > Christopher

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:10:42 AM

Why re-install it. XP runs just fine on E, it is not drive letter specific.

> Well, how about that, it is on e:
> So, is my only option to reformat c: and reinstall XP hoping it will
> install
> on c: this time?
> --
> Christopher
>

> "PattyL" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like your clean install is on E not C. Go to Start, Run and
>> type:
>> msinfo32 <then click OK>
>>
>> About midway down the System Summary page, it will tell you where the
>> currently running Windows is installed.
>>
>> PattyL
>>
>> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
>> >address
>> > problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of
>> > files
>> > from
>> > c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
>> > those
>> > files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
>> >
>> > How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can
>> > delete these?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Christopher

August 3, 2005 5:10:43 AM

Well, it seems inefficient to have those files (24gb worth) to reside on both
of my 40gb drives - more suggestions?
--
Christopher

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Why re-install it. XP runs just fine on E, it is not drive letter specific.

> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, how about that, it is on e:
> > So, is my only option to reformat c: and reinstall XP hoping it will
> > install
> > on c: this time?
> > --
> > Christopher
> >

> > "PattyL" wrote:
> >
> >> It sounds like your clean install is on E not C. Go to Start, Run and
> >> type:
> >> msinfo32 <then click OK>
> >>
> >> About midway down the System Summary page, it will tell you where the
> >> currently running Windows is installed.
> >>
> >> PattyL
> >>
> >> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:13:52 AM

Well you said you were going to format the C drive.

> Well, it seems inefficient to have those files (24gb worth) to reside on
> both
> of my 40gb drives - more suggestions?
> --
> Christopher
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> Why re-install it. XP runs just fine on E, it is not drive letter
>> specific.
>>
>> --

>> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Well, how about that, it is on e:
>> > So, is my only option to reformat c: and reinstall XP hoping it will
>> > install
>> > on c: this time?
>> > --
>> > Christopher

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:38:45 PM

You can delete the \Windows and \Program Files folders from c: so that
you're not taking up the space on both drives. If you format the drive, you
will mess up the boot and have to fix that. There is no problem with
running Windows from E.

I would first rename the Windows and Program Files folders and run for a
while to be sure that nothing you are using is in this location. Once you
are confident that you don't need anything in these folders, you can delete
them. You can also modify the boot menu (assuming that it's showing two
installations of XP) and remove the option to start the one that you
deleted.

Right-click My Computer, then click the Advanced tab. Click Settings under
Startup and Recovery, then click Edit.

PattyL

"Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, how about that, it is on e:
> So, is my only option to reformat c: and reinstall XP hoping it will
> install
> on c: this time?
> --
> Christopher
>

> "PattyL" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like your clean install is on E not C. Go to Start, Run and
>> type:
>> msinfo32 <then click OK>
>>
>> About midway down the System Summary page, it will tell you where the
>> currently running Windows is installed.
>>
>> PattyL
>>
>> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had to reinstall (as a clean install) a XP upgrade to solve some ip
>> >address
>> > problems. It did solve those problems, but XP also made copies of
>> > files
>> > from
>> > c: to e: (docs and settings, program files, windows). I can't delete
>> > those
>> > files from e: as the error states that the file is use.
>> >
>> > How can that be if I am originating my program loads from c:? How can
>> > delete these?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Christopher

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:51:47 AM

You installed windows on a different partition. You can't delete those files
because windows is installed on your E: drive.

!