Trying to install Windows xp on new build ,error code

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Just started to install windows ,went as supposed to.When prompted to hit f6 to enter drivers I did so,nothing happened. Windows prompted me to hit reset ,which I did.After that it started writing files for a little while but then put up error code OXOOOOOO7B(OXF7C7A524,OXOOOOOO34,OXOOOOOOOO,OXOOOOOOOO).What now? Do I need to clear (RTC) ram in cmos b4 starting over?

Asus p5b
Intel E4500
XFX 8600gt 512mb
WD 250 gig sata hd
Asus sata optical drive
kingston ram

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Windows prompted you to hit reset after an error, sounds plausible but Windows doesn't prompt for a reset during a proper install. Something went wrong for sure. Start fresh: Boot to the Windows disc and delete the partition. Reformat the partition, the 'long way' (dont choose Quick format) and then it should be all automatic except for the part where you choose the Time Zone, enter the install key and choose the network settings. If it crashes anywhere along the way then you have a defective windows disc (scratched?) or a defective optical drive (hair inside the drive?) or defective RAM (try the Windows install with only one stick of RAM? Insure RAM is compatible with the motherboard) or Power Supply trouble (try known good power supply) or heat trouble (fans not working? Heatsink installed incorrectly?)

These are just a few areas to look. =)

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
I,m bout done for tonight,I did reset cmos and bios.When I insert windows xp disc I don't get welcome screen,it just starts trying to copy files.All parts are new,so is windows xp oem disc.

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
It starts copying files because it is a partial install of Windows that is trying to continue (that's not what you want). You want to go into BIOS (Now that you have reset the BIOS) and get the first boot device to be the DVD/CD drive and when you boot the next time you have to watch for the part where your screen says "Press any key to boot from the CD" that will bypass the old partial install of Windows and you can strart fresh.

Necros8

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Check the memory settings in the BIOS. Make sure the memory is set for a 2T command setting. DO NOT trust the automatic detection. I had similar problems setting up my new rig. The BIOS correctly detected all the RAS, CAS settings, but set a 1T command rate. It caused random blue screens and I/O errors when installing drivers and programs.

My rig:
ASUS p5ne-SLI
Intel Q6600 (stock)
MSI 8800GTX OC'd 610MHz
WD 320GB SATA

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Checked bios,did not see memory settings,what do I look under? Got to go to work now I'll check later.

Necros8

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Go under Advanced--> Northbridge Chipset. Disable the Configure DRAM timing by SPD. This will bring up the manual settings.

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Hey thanks for replies,I disabled configure DRAM timing by SPD.Brought up manual settings but I did not see voltage settings.also I did not see command setting.Under hardware monitor I have these readings,
12v voltage=12.4 5v voltage = 4.99 3.3 voltage =3.2 vcore voltage = 1.24.I cannot get back to the windows welcome screen to get rid of any files copied so far,any wat to do this and try again ?

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
The memory I used is kingston 2x KVR800D2N5/512x2.I used it because it was on Asus QVL list and I was hoping for a smooth first time build,little did I know huh!I figured after a little while I would upgrde since memory is so cheap now.Anyway right now I,m running memtest just to see my computer do something.Assuming it checks out how can I go about getting rid of any files wimdows has copied so far and srart over?

brackj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
By the way I swear I can spell better than that,the keyboard on this old computer is fried and enters the wrong letters or misses them.If I dont check every word it ends up like that!

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
When the bios is loading, at the bottom of the screen there should be a line that says something to the effect of "Press F# to enter Boot Menu" (# being an F number, 1-12). Hit that key, and you'll be able to select the ability to boot from CD. When you boot from the CD and it starts loading, you'll have 5 seconds to hit the any key ;) to load windows setup. When it gets into setup, as said before, make sure you do the non-quick format to NTFS and you'll be golden.

Another point, unless you're using AHCI (bios option for your SATA drives) or are installing onto a RAID array, you don't need to load the extra drivers. If the Windows Installer does not recognize your drives, disable AHCI (set to IDE) and it should go on just fine without the 3rd party drivers.

Third, about the ram voltages: to set them, your bios will most likely have a relative measurement, relative to the JDEC standard 1.8v, probably in increments of .05v. DO NOT ADJUST THAT SETTING! YOU CAN BURN YOUR RAM VERY EASILY BY SETTING THAT INCORRECTLY! Your ram is fine at stock voltage, and unless you are overclocking, the 1.8v will suffice. If you really feel you must play with them, do some research on how to safely overclock your computer (esp. RAM), and buy some heat spreaders for those modules. The voltage readings you are able to see is part of the health monitoring system of the motherboard and is irrelevant to the discussion here, as it is only a monitor of the voltages within the board and not a setting.

Fourth, trying to find the root of the problem, what power supply (manufacturer/model/wattage/age) do you have installed in the system? It's kind of a long shot, but I have seen a bad PS make windows throw some of the most incoherent errors that have nothing to do with the root of the problem.

Good luck on the problem hunt!

sweetskills

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I have been trying to fix this problem for a long time... I finally found all the drivers I need to run Windows XP... Cause I am currently running Vista... But I like Windows XP a lot better... But like above.. I can't even get past that blue error screen.. I can't even format anything... Once it says Windows will start set up or whatever it says... Then that blue screen shows up and tells me I might have a virus and to run check disk... I don't have virus' and I've ran check disk... So I have no idea... I have tried 2 Windows XP disks and I end up with the same problem... I will try those things above and see where it takes me... Thanks

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

Since this thread is over a year old, I have some new advice if you are having driver issues: wait for windows 7. It is very nice, supports all of the new stuff that vista does (and has many more drivers to start with, IE storage drivers), and has a much lighter footprint. These days, I have a very, very hard time recommending XP to anyone, with 7 only months away (and the RC readily available) and the many improvements it makes.

Then again, if your problem with vista is that the UI is different, that advice does not suffice, and you must continue your trek. I wish you luck sir, and will be watching this thread for a while, should you need help.