Two Quick Questions - Best Cheap MB for E8400 for OC?

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
1) What is the best motherboard for the E8400 DUAL 3GHZ CPU => $100 range and Easy to Overclock and I dont care about SLI

2) Is 500 watts more then enough of a power supply for a overclocked E8400 and a single 9600GT 512MB? Also interested in the case below will be really good for air circulation.

Vid card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150289&Tpk=14-150-289
CPU- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3574211&Sku=CP1-DUO-E8400&SRCCODE=PRICECAN&CMP=OTC-PRICECANADA
PSU/Case - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1776113&CatId=1858

THANK YOU!

That case does not include a PSU. Please note that, with exceptions, Ultra PSUs live (or maybe croak) on Tier-5 ("do not buy") of the list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon. If possible, choose one from Tier-3 or better.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
You cannot get a good motherboard for overclocking for $100 or less. The motherboard should be one of the most expensive parts of a computer build (graphics excluded) if you want any level of sustainability and ability to overclock. Remember, with most Intel processors you can only overclock by increasing the front side bus since most processors have locked clock multipliers. Look at getting an X38 chipset.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Considering he is using the e8400 processor, wouldn't it make sense to use a motherboard that will meaningfully be able to overclock it? From your article it seems you got that board stable at 400 Mhz, which is only a 600 Mhz increase for the e8400. To really overclock that processor you should get a motherboard that can get up to 450 or higher (X38, X48).

The P35-DS3L may have trouble if you try to put DDR2-1066 on it.

As to that case, the front door looks like a royal pain in the keister, not to mention the questionable PSU.
CoolerMaster makes a lot of decent cases that aren't too expensive.

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Ok, very interesting points!

Can you suggest the best low price x38 or x48 motherboard then? Assuming the gigabyte p35-ds3l isnt capable of overclocking my e8400 well.

THANKS!

Yes. It will have problem with RAM natively higher than DDR2 800. This is true for most P35 boards and some X38 boards.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I would not wait for nehalem. It will be expensive as hell when it comes out, and it is never good to be the guinea pig for new technology because there always will be issues that will get fixed usually six months after initial release.

As far as 1066 not working on X38 boards, I do not think that is true. Please correct me if I am wrong, but all X38 boards have a FSB running at least at 1333, so 1066 should not be an issue.

As for a good recommendation for a X38 board, I have been extremely satisfied with my maximus extreme, although it is a bit costly at $350.
Like I said earlier, with graphics card excluded the motherboard should be the most expensive part of your build. A cheaper alternative would be to get the maximus formula, which is identical to the extreme except that it uses ddr2 RAM instead of ddr3, and it costs about $280.00.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

You're absolutely correct
Problem new things will come at a price
New processor
New mobo technology
Not sure if will support DDR3 maybe need DDR2
But for sure forget DDR2 which is extremely cheap
Again new graphic card
As a result your credit card is fully loaded
Personally I believe X48 mobo+E8400+DDR2 rig will work well for 3 years
Upgrade to QX9650 when prices go down can add 1 or 2 years more
Then you need new rig

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Im not actually at all interested in DDR3 ram Ive read a lot of reviews and they all say to go with DDR2 because 3 is a) too new b) too expensive c) ridiculuosly minute gains like 3% in games.

Why is a good mother board so important? Remeber I have no plans to upgrade this system Ill buy anew one in a few years. Also I dont use raid (not worth it for me), no SLI (cause only 10% gains for twice the price).

All I need is a board that I can very easily and safely overclock my E8400 on, and it must be pretty quiet.

THANKS!

True. The parts in bold will still work on P35, and when prices go down you can put in a QX9650 on the boards I listed earlier. (ie. P35-DS3L and DS3R).

A good motherboard is important because:

1. Quality= reliability

2. Easier upgrades when prices come down (ie BIOS updates enable new CPUs to run)

3. Has good OCing options.

That is why I recommend the P35-DS3L or DS3R.

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Thank you so much! Such great advice!!!!!!!

Now last question:

EP35-DS3L at $90 http://redflagdeals.pricecanada.com/detail.php?product_id=496243&sku=GAP35DS3L

OR

EP35-DS3R at $126 (This the right DS3R board?) http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD9576&vpn=GA-EP35-DS3R&manufacture=GIGABYTE
Additions I see:
2 x 8 Mbit flash ROM (instead of 1) Whats this even for?
Support for @BIOS
Support for Download Center
Support for Q-Flash
Support for EasyTune
Support for Xpress Install
Support for Xpress Recovery2
Even tho the DS3L doesnt list these does it also support them? I assume they are all OCing software. Do I need them all?
Oh and laughable serial and parrallel ports which I dont see myself ever using

Will I see a performance difference in this board and can you give me an estimate.. any other reasons to chose one over the other. Also any idea what the difference between the EP35 and the P35 (missing the E) is?

Sorry for all the questions but its my first true solo build and I want it to be perfect.

Support for @BIOS
Support for Download Center
Support for Q-Flash
Support for EasyTune
Support for Xpress Install
Support for Xpress Recovery2
All of the above listed are supported by the DS3L. The 2*8MB ROM is used to prevent bad BIOS flashes. E stands for an energy saving feature called Dynamic Energy Saver. Get the DS3R if you need RAID or need extra SATA ports.

@BIOS : Windows based BIOS updating tool.Never use it
Q-Flash: Integrated BIOS update tool, it is part of the BIOS itself.
EasyTune:Gigabyte Windows based OCing utility. Never use it
Read the manual for more info on any of these and other items.