Sign in with
Your question

Newegg open box yes or no?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 29, 2008 9:40:11 PM

I see a lot of people post links to open box motherboards at newegg. I would love to get something of a deal, but Im scared I will get a busted mobo or one without the cables connectors or sound card (in the case of the maximus formula).

I dont mind buying some extra bits if its still a deal, but do the things -work-.

Anyone have any experience to share?

I returned a 680i LT once, and saw it pop up in a couple days. I know for a fact I put everything in the box, so whoever got that was set. I just dont know if most people do this or not.

More about : newegg open box

April 29, 2008 11:07:47 PM

Open box is never a good idea for something as complex as motherboards, no matter the store. Some things, like a fan, you might consider open box. :p 
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2008 2:33:08 AM

There's a much higher risk for open box. I've never bought one because Newegg doesn't give you enough off for them. I'd take the risk on a sub $100 item as long as it is 50% or more off. I don't remember Newegg's policy for open box returns. Look at it and be sure you are ok with it before you buy.
Related resources
April 30, 2008 11:18:05 PM

I bought a computer and Microsoft Office software from NewEgg. The computer was defective and it took a lot of wrangling to get NewEgg to take it back. I bought a different computer from Dell and when I opened the Office software package there was nothing in it. The software had been installed on the defective computer and NewEgg had failed to mention this.

Now NewEgg won't refund my money or send me replacement software. Many of you have had good experiences with NewEgg. Before you shop with NewEgg again ask yourself what will happen if something goes wrong- and it will.
May 3, 2008 4:43:24 AM

i wouldnt buy open box for MANY items... it goes with logic
as you prolly know, most boards,cpu,ram and suchs are unique so some people just return their boards and **** if they re not satisfied... so open box are often lesser stuffs...
fans, cases, etc are ok for open box
July 5, 2008 4:04:01 AM

I agree with FwoGiZ...

I've purchased open box mobo's from the egg twice--I got NOTHING with either of them. I can download drivers and manuals, and I have plenty of cables, but the lack of an I/O plate really bugged me. I decided that overall it really wasn't that great a value and I won't do it again.

There are certainly things I would consider as open box, but I would avoid mobos, cpus, HDDs, and video cards (esp. performance ones). All those pieces are too vulnerable to unscrupulous idiots.

Just my 2ยข worth...
July 5, 2008 4:15:44 PM

i wouldn't because it says you only get the motherboard and i think no warranty? but that means no back plate, drivers, or any cables
!