Sign in with
Your question

Custom computer problems. I am in need of some advise

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2008 11:32:59 PM

Hello all. I just built a new computer here are the specs.

Intel Q6600 2.4ghz Quad Core
XFX 680i LT mainboard
8 GB 800 MHZ DDR2 ram
3x 750GB Samsung Spinpoint Hard drives. 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer
256MB XFX Geforce 8600 GT XXX(Overclocked)
750 watt Power Supply (Ultra)
6 in 1 (Ultra) Card Reader+Floopy
2x 20x DVD Burners from LG
I got a copy of windows home Pre 64 bit
Gemini 2 Heat Sink for the CPU. 2x120mm fans on the heat sink
2x160mm fans in case.

Problem I am not getting any signal from it. Not even a bios load screen. I am using a DVI monitor and have a Monster DVI-D Cable. What could cause this to happen? Is my video card toast or what? I have tried 2 different monitors in this computer and no go.... It is frustrating the heck outta me.
Anyone able to offer some advise?
March 10, 2008 12:30:22 AM

try another DVI, you probably have one that came with the monitor.

then try a VGA cord.

is that a SLI board?
you could try another slot.
March 10, 2008 12:40:05 AM

8600gt ewwwww.....
Related resources
March 10, 2008 12:41:41 AM

the video card is dual DVI-D no VGA. I only have 2 DVI monitors. I have a DVI-D-VGA adapter and I tried that and still no signal. Yes it is an SLI board.
March 10, 2008 12:43:13 AM

it is the over clocked 8600 GT. it is on for $69. and I am sorry but 3 8600GT in SLI for 210$ CDN. is a wicked deal. but this isnt for gaming so the power of my video card means nothing for this question
March 10, 2008 12:47:20 AM

1. Make sure the monitor, if it has more than one input, is set to your DVI input
2. Make sure the fan on the graphics card is spinning.
3. Double check that the card is pushed all the way into its slot.
4. Try the other slot.

Just to make sure, remove the card and firmly re-seat it in the PCIe slot.

I'm also assuming that all other components are running fine. Simply make sure all fans are running on all components.
March 10, 2008 1:08:45 AM

#1 Check. Monitor was set to DVI.
#2 Check. Video Card Fan is Spinning.
#3 Check. I pulled it out and put it back in. Still no signal.
#4 Check. Tired it in both SLI slots. Still no signal.
March 10, 2008 1:09:58 AM

all fans on mother board are working. fans on my heatsink are working.
Doesnt matter if the hard Drivers work or not I should still get a bios load screen. Same with disk drives.

I also pulled out all ram sticks but one and no signal so I doubt it is a power problem.
March 10, 2008 1:11:24 AM

This mainoard does not have a computer speaker. they use LED lights for trouble shooting. all lights are on (Blue, Green, Yellow(orange)) meanign the motherboard is working perfectly.
March 10, 2008 1:55:57 AM

Have you tried it in the other PCI-E slot? If not, you probably have it in the wrong one.

Also, verify CPU power is connected. The fans may run, but the system won't boot up if it's not.
March 10, 2008 2:15:23 AM

The only other thing I can think of is maybe a bad connection somewhere. Replug any cable to motherboard and maybe reseat the processor...
March 10, 2008 2:49:52 AM

I'd also check and make sure you don't have any extra mobo stand-offs under the mobo. Is it possible that the CPU HSF isn't seated correctly? You could also install the stock HSF on the CPU to verify or rule that out, until you can find the problem. One more thing to check is the PSU. If you have an older one around you could try it out (with minimal parts, i.e. 1 memory stick, 1 HDD, etc.). If you don't have a PSU around than see if you could borrow a friends, or even try your GPU out on a friends system (if they'll let you do that). And also re-seat all connections, like Pokemon suggested.
March 10, 2008 3:34:35 AM

ok I tried another video card in it and still no signal. I tried the new video card in my old systeem and it works fine. The mainboard is DOA. read some reviews on the board from tiger direct and many there are claims of the same thing happening to others. usually they find out it is the mainboard so tomorrow it is going back to Tigerdirect. that for taking the time to help me out everyone.

I have one more question. I will not be getting another XFX mainboard so now I need to pick another one. with my system specs listed above what mainboard do yall think is the best choice. Keeping reliabilty in mind. and good over clockin features as well as a 64bit OS. and keep in mind the size of my heatsink here is a link to a pick of it.

http://www.pctuner.net/Sezione%20Hardware/Recensioni%20...

Replacement mainboard options:

Asus P5B Motherboard
Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard
Asus P5N-D Motherboard(Nforce750i Chipset)
March 10, 2008 3:46:58 AM

Redspade said:
it is the over clocked 8600 GT. it is on for $69. and I am sorry but 3 8600GT in SLI for 210$ CDN. is a wicked deal. but this isnt for gaming so the power of my video card means nothing for this question

u cant three way SLI 8600GT's...only SLI it, and at that price u can go to newegg.com and buy a 8800Gs for $120 USD, keep in mind candian currency is worth more than US. after MIR
March 10, 2008 4:22:32 AM

you are right you cant sli 3. I thought you could. but reguardless. 2x8600GT SLI vmod them both and get 900mhz-1ghz core for both of them is better then 1 8800GS. Plus you now get to pay shipping from new egg. congratz. I will go to my local Tiger Direct store and avoid those charges making 2x 8600GT cheaper and better still. .Yes the CDN$ is worth more. by like 0.0085 of a cent. so there really isnt a difference. in fact most places are on par 1:1 ration on the dollar.
1.0000 |0.9915 I just posted CDN because I am Canadian. and the power of my video card still means nothing to my original question lol
March 10, 2008 6:37:28 AM

Of the 3 you listed, the P5N-D has 2 PCI-e 2.0 slots, which might make a difference later when you decide to upgrade to a newer GPU. The Abit board is also nice and has some more options to consider. If you want the SLI package than the P5N-D on your list would probably be the best option. You can decide which mobo has the options that you want. GL with the selection. :) 
March 10, 2008 7:04:10 PM

Redspade said:
you are right you cant sli 3. I thought you could. but reguardless. 2x8600GT SLI vmod them both and get 900mhz-1ghz core for both of them is better then 1 8800GS. Plus you now get to pay shipping from new egg. congratz. I will go to my local Tiger Direct store and avoid those charges making 2x 8600GT cheaper and better still. .Yes the CDN$ is worth more. by like 0.0085 of a cent. so there really isnt a difference. in fact most places are on par 1:1 ration on the dollar.
1.0000 |0.9915 I just posted CDN because I am Canadian. and the power of my video card still means nothing to my original question lol

Well the same could be said for the 8800GS...vmod them soon and so on, but the 8600GT is a very weak GPU...And if it isn't important [i'm assuming for your own benefit you don't play any graphic intensive or any good games :lol:  ]. Plus If you dont care then dont bother SLI'ing 2 8600GT b/c it's only going to dissapoint you with how mediocre it is, the 8800GS would still pwn it, and beat it down like it stole something :whistle:  .

:hello: 
March 11, 2008 12:10:09 PM

Redspade said:
I have one more question. I will not be getting another XFX mainboard so now I need to pick another one.

Replacement mainboard options:

Asus P5B Motherboard
Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard
Asus P5N-D Motherboard(Nforce750i Chipset)

just general comentary about the brands.

I've had good luck with Abit boards, but suport was a little lite on my current one when a new bios was needed. the ones I've had, have loads of overclocking options, and seam very stable. I even managed a stable 40% OC on my NF-M2 with a 20 pin PSU plugged into a 24 pin mobo receptical. My only gripe was how long it took them to come out with a bios update for the Brisbane core temp sensor. my old IC7 Max3 was also a very good board, now relagated to internet surfing and solitare for the folks.

I've heard that Asus has slipped some in the last few years (too much Asrock seaping over into Asus), but have no first hand experience.
March 11, 2008 5:59:25 PM

get the Abit. I'd choose it first over almost any Asus board. see if they got a Gigabyte P35 board available. those ROCK. one option is if you must SLI, then get a eVGA 780i board. they're pretty expensive though so it may not be your cup of tea.
March 11, 2008 8:33:57 PM

FrozenGpu said:
Well the same could be said for the 8800GS...vmod them soon and so on, but the 8600GT is a very weak GPU...And if it isn't important [i'm assuming for your own benefit you don't play any graphic intensive or any good games :lol:  ]. Plus If you dont care then dont bother SLI'ing 2 8600GT b/c it's only going to dissapoint you with how mediocre it is, the 8800GS would still pwn it, and beat it down like it stole something :whistle: 

:hello: 

On the cards yes. you can o/c the 8800 GS but your still paying more for them and there is another price cut coming dropping the 8600 GT to $39.99 with the $10 instant rebate and a $20 mail in rebate. so they cost even less making them a much better buy. as for gaming I use my laptop for gaming. Gateway FX 6831 sporting a dedicated 512MB Geforce 8800M GTS which plays most games on max settings. Crysis on high settings and 2xAA so I dont need a super video card for the desktop and if I did I would get the 9600 geforce line and bypass the 8800GS completely. bang for the buck you can't beat 2 8600 GT's when they are just a steping stone to go for the 9 series.

I returned the mainboard today to tiger direct. they have a 40% failure rating on the XFX 680iLT mainboard for all that care to know. I ended up getting the EVGA Nforce 780i SLI board. I figured screw it and got a great board instead of cheapin out on the backbone of my entire system. I also returned the Coolmaster Gemini 2 CPU cooler and got the ZEROTherm BTF90 cooler. It was half the size of the Coolmaster and pretty much the same preformance. I am only gonna over clock my cpu from 2.4 to 3.2 ish so it will handle it just fine.

Thx again for all the input people. You have been great!
Now I just need to get a T9000 CPU for my laptop and I am good to go.
March 12, 2008 12:25:23 AM

but u are comparing $40 british puond to $120 USD, big difference US dollar is almost worhtless :lol:  :lol: 
March 12, 2008 12:46:16 AM

Is that an ultra x2 750w? I've seen reviews that said it couldn't even handle half its rated wattage.
March 14, 2008 11:42:35 PM

Don't bother with ultra PSU's I'm sure they work some of the time, but You are better off with a PC Power and cooling or a silverstone, or corsair/seasonic.....
!