Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Have ?'s and need help OCing E8500

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 20, 2008 4:29:39 PM

Hello everyone, I just put together my first new PC and have been trying to read up on all the new lingo. I have an 8500 (newest step) with ddr2-800 (crucial w/ heat spreaders), ASUS P5KC, and Zalman9500 cooler. From what I've read (guides, etc.) I think I'm going to go with overclocking FSB to 400 MHz to match ram for 3.8GHz, but I had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer (Please help, I'm a narratic newb :wahoo:  ).


Would this be a fairly safe/reliable OC. Any other suggestions?


Any suggestions for VCORE?


Would I need to change any other settings aside from VCORE and FSB?


Is overclocking the FSB safe (heat?) for other components on motherboard related to FSB?


Is overclocking FSB going to be a concern for other devices to write/read, etc.?




Please help, thank you!

More about : ocing e8500

October 20, 2008 9:21:21 PM

Quote:
Would this be a fairly safe/reliable OC. Any other suggestions?

Should be easy with that cooler. 3.8 GHz isnt that high of an overclock.

Quote:
Any suggestions for VCORE?

Different for every CPU, you'll have to find this out yourself, yes it is timeconsuming.

Quote:
Would I need to change any other settings aside from VCORE and FSB?

Yes, but 3.8 GHz could be done on auto settings for the rest.
Quote:

Is overclocking the FSB safe (heat?) for other components on motherboard related to FSB?

Only northbridge temp should go up really, and only if you up the voltage of it. Memory wont generate more heat because it's running the same frequency and same voltage still.

Quote:
Is overclocking FSB going to be a concern for other devices to write/read, etc.?

Only memory, motherboard and CPU.
October 20, 2008 10:42:07 PM

Those have a 50% chance of 4.2GHz overclocks. Don't exceed 1.4v
Related resources
October 21, 2008 2:45:25 AM

1) Yes it's a safe overclock

2) Every cpu is different, as Priv said. I think mine needed ~1.25v at 3.8ghz.

3) You may need to raise the NB voltage, but that's it.

4) The NB will generate more heat, but as long as you have a decent heatsink on it, I wouldn't worry.

5) No, as long as you have it at 9.5x400, and you're not trying to find the max FSB.
October 24, 2008 1:08:17 AM

br3nd064 said:
1) Yes it's a safe overclock

2) Every cpu is different, as Priv said. I think mine needed ~1.25v at 3.8ghz.

3) You may need to raise the NB voltage, but that's it.

4) The NB will generate more heat, but as long as you have a decent heatsink on it, I wouldn't worry.

5) No, as long as you have it at 9.5x400, and you're not trying to find the max FSB.


Are you serious?! E8500 running at 3.8ghz on 1.25v core? I'm on 3.6 and I'm using 1.26!
October 24, 2008 6:46:06 PM

Not that weird voltage, mine gets 3.6 on stock, for 4.1GHz I need 1.32v
October 24, 2008 7:36:55 PM

If 3.8 is all you are aspiring to you should not need to change anything other than FSB to 400. I have a similar setup (I even have the older C0 stepping) and the first thing I did was flip to 400 with no other changes required. If you really wanted to push the 8500 you probably should have bought DDR2 1066 memory which is ideal IMO. My FSB is at 460 and with a 5/6 divider my memory is only overclocked from 1066-1104 with a 2.1-2.2 voltage increase. I think I only paid $100 for a 4gb OCZ platinum kit.
October 24, 2008 8:22:20 PM

murdoc said:
Are you serious?! E8500 running at 3.8ghz on 1.25v core? I'm on 3.6 and I'm using 1.26!

It's not that weird. Mine needs 1.28v for 4.0ghz, but theres a big jump to 1.33v for 4.2ghz.
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2008 12:18:39 PM

mines a e8400 and it sucks as it needs 1.4 for 4.0ghz, 1.5 for 4.4ghz and 1.6 for 4.6ghz.
October 25, 2008 3:55:42 PM

richardscott said:
mines a e8400 and it sucks as it needs 1.4 for 4.0ghz, 1.5 for 4.4ghz and 1.6 for 4.6ghz.

In your sig it says 4.6ghz. Does that mean you're running it 24/7 with a 1.6v vcore??
October 26, 2008 12:58:40 AM

richards running vapor cooling if im not mistaken
October 26, 2008 1:41:36 AM

Homeboy2 said:
richards running vapor cooling if im not mistaken

You're right, but phase change only reduces temps. 1.6v for 24/7 use will kill the cpu pretty quick.
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2008 4:42:54 PM

yea i am runnin 24/7 ill put a post up when my cpu dies but it wont happen before its swaped out for a e8600 at xmas. as for temps if you reduce the temp of a cpu by 10C then you double the lifetime. so time for some maths. at full load my cpu is at -30, which is 100c below the thermal spec so assume my processor would last 1 day at 70c then thats 2^9 days at -30. which is 512 days. anyway to put it mildly vcore wont kill my processer. here is a good link from extreme systems you should all read.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19...

my processor is useing alot less voltages and lower temps than this guy has.
November 1, 2008 9:36:07 PM

Well I'm running at 3.91 ghz right now and testing it under OCCT v2.0.1 and I'm hitting temps like 76 celcius (According to RealTemp 2.78.9) the voltage used is 1.34. In fact, I need 1.32 volts to make sure I'm running 3.8 ghz without it crashing on OCCT. I'm not sure how you guys have 3.8ghz running on stock voltages. I'm aiming for 4.0ghz but the voltages and the temps are making me skeptical about pushing it that far.

My cooler right now is CoolMaster HyperTX2. If you guys have any suggestions on coolers I should use please advise!! Please keep in mind I have an Asus P5Q motherboard so the heatsink must fit on that. I've got 4 rams sticks installed so I can't afford the heatsinks to take up ram slots. Thanks!
November 1, 2008 10:36:18 PM

I have a p5q and use a true. Just position your cooler parallel with the mem slots and you're good to go
November 2, 2008 12:32:57 AM

murdoc said:
Well I'm running at 3.91 ghz right now and testing it under OCCT v2.0.1 and I'm hitting temps like 76 celcius (According to RealTemp 2.78.9) the voltage used is 1.34. In fact, I need 1.32 volts to make sure I'm running 3.8 ghz without it crashing on OCCT. I'm not sure how you guys have 3.8ghz running on stock voltages. I'm aiming for 4.0ghz but the voltages and the temps are making my skeptical about pushing it that far.

My cooler right now is CoolMaster HyperTX2. If you guys have any suggestions on coolers I should use please advise!! Please keep in mind I have an Asus P5Q motherboard so the heatsink must fit on that. I've got 4 rams sticks installed so I can't afford the heatsinks to take up ram slots. Thanks!

You probably just have a chip that isn't good at overclocking. What's the VID on it?
November 2, 2008 2:54:45 AM

br3nd064 said:
You probably just have a chip that isn't good at overclocking. What's the VID on it?


I don't know how to tell so you're going to have to enlighten me on this.

According to RealTemp, my min VID is 1.1500 and max is 1.2250 (I don't know if that's how I could tell what my VID is). Let me know the results. Thanks!
November 2, 2008 3:14:17 AM

Homeboy2 said:
I have a p5q and use a true. Just position your cooler parallel with the mem slots and you're good to go


You mean something like this will fit on my P5Q mobo?
November 2, 2008 4:24:59 AM

Yup. It says the width on that cooler is 100mm. My cooler is 113mm (with fans).
November 2, 2008 4:45:56 AM

Would you recommend the Artic Cooling Freezer Xtreme over the HyperTX2 that I currently have? What coolers would you say I should get for great cooling performance yet keeping the noise level down?
November 2, 2008 4:50:47 AM

murdoc said:
CoreTemp says 1.2250

That's weird. Mine has the same VID, but can get to 4.0ghz on 1.28v, and the temps only rise to upper-50's. All I can say is that every chip is different.
November 2, 2008 4:54:05 AM

br3nd064 said:
That's weird. Mine has the same VID, but can get to 4.0ghz on 1.28v, and the temps only rise to upper-50's. All I can say is that every chip is different.


yeah.. that's exactly what I thought. If I try doing 4 ghz at 1.28v, TF2 will crash and OCCT will fail in less than a second. I MIGHT be able to run Wprime properly although the latest OCCT is very sensitive to errors so I wanted to make sure I pass the OCCT test first to ensure max stability. Maybe it's time for me to turn to a better cooler.

Would you say that the Artic Cooling freezer extreme be a satisfactory upgrade from CoolMaster Hyper-TX2?
November 2, 2008 5:07:47 AM

I really don't know much about the Freezer Extreme. It looks to be a very good cooler by the specs, but I haven't read any reviews on it.
November 2, 2008 6:03:31 AM

i dont have experience with that cooler, the true is fantastic but overpriced. Many peeps here swear by the Xigmatek rifle. as good or almost as good but a lot cheaper.
November 2, 2008 1:21:22 PM

Homeboy2 said:
i dont have experience with that cooler, the true is fantastic but overpriced. Many peeps here swear by the Xigmatek rifle. as good or almost as good but a lot cheaper.

+1 The xigmatek performs very well for the money.
November 2, 2008 2:24:08 PM

I got an E0 e8400 and I can do 4.0 @1.22V under load. Its VID is 1.25 :D 

Only downside is I bought an nForce motherboard for my SLi 8800GT, so 445 is the chipset's limit.
November 2, 2008 5:37:42 PM

B-Unit said:
I got an E0 e8400 and I can do 4.0 @1.22V under load. Its VID is 1.25 :D 

Only downside is I bought an nForce motherboard for my SLi 8800GT, so 445 is the chipset's limit.


yeah that's cause you got an E0 stepping. My E8500 is C0 :( 
November 3, 2008 5:42:09 PM

richardscott said:
mines a e8400 and it sucks as it needs 1.4 for 4.0ghz, 1.5 for 4.4ghz and 1.6 for 4.6ghz.



My C0 stepping 8500 is not much different... I need 1.4875v to get 4.37ghz or 4.275 for that matter. I could go higher on speed but heat becomes too much of an issue on air even with a good cooler and good case ventilation. Heat nowadays is really a multi faceted problem that can be costly and difficult to deal with. Take high speed DDR2|DDR3 that is already hot at stock, X48 NB thats very hot at stock, video thats very hot and overclock it all. Add to that drives, power supply, SB, audio and a very hot OC'd E8500 and you have major heat problems to be dealt with. My system is pretty well vented but will heat the room (even w/ AC) as much as 10-12F when gaming for extended periods. The biggest culprit is my 8800GTX which is like having a space heater blasting in the room. I'm going to get a 4870X2 but its even hotter.
November 3, 2008 6:48:37 PM

anartik said:
My C0 stepping 8500 is not much different... I need 1.4875v to get 4.37ghz or 4.275 for that matter. I could go higher on speed but heat becomes too much of an issue on air even with a good cooler and good case ventilation. Heat nowadays is really a multi faceted problem that can be costly and difficult to deal with. Take high speed DDR2|DDR3 that is already hot at stock, X48 NB thats very hot at stock, video thats very hot and overclock it all. Add to that drives, power supply, SB, audio and a very hot OC'd E8500 and you have major heat problems to be dealt with. My system is pretty well vented but will heat the room (even w/ AC) as much as 10-12F when gaming for extended periods. The biggest culprit is my 8800GTX which is like having a space heater blasting in the room. I'm going to get a 4870X2 but its even hotter.


I totally agree with you man. Once I got my 4870 and E8500, temps went up by 10 degrees within my system (according to Asus AI suite). I have 5 fans inside my system (1 - 80 mm fan at the top, 2- 80mm the sides near ram and VGA slot, 1 - 120mm at the front for intake, 1- 120mm at the back for output) so this is serious business here. You are certainly right about the C0 stepping. It requires 1.40v minimum to get it to around 4 ghz while stable. With each 0.01 voltage increase brings around 3-4 degrees higher in temps. This makes the heat management totally unbearable. I've already ordered an E8400 with E0 stepping. It can OC to 4 at just 1.24v or so which sounds a lot more reasonable.
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2008 9:04:08 PM

well make sure that you have done some cable management because it can really increase temps just by haveing loads of cables hindering air flow. well you can fit any more fans but mabee you can set the fans at the top of the case the push the air out and the ones at bottom to air in that might help in keeping the hot air out and getting cool air in. other than that you could look at more powerfull fans.
November 3, 2008 9:44:35 PM

richardscott said:
well make sure that you have done some cable management because it can really increase temps just by haveing loads of cables hindering air flow. well you can fit any more fans but mabee you can set the fans at the top of the case the push the air out and the ones at bottom to air in that might help in keeping the hot air out and getting cool air in. other than that you could look at more powerfull fans.


Yeah I have cable management done (I use Corsair HX1000 PSU) which is a modular PSU (I only use the cables that I only need). The fans are fine too.

I've got:
- 2x 80mm silenX fans for 14dba ouputting 24 cfm (located at ram and vga areas)

- 1x Cool Master 21dba output 21cfm at the roof

- 1x Scythe S-flex 120mm 49 cfm 20.1dba 1200rpm at the front for intake

- 1x SilenX 120mm 73 cfm, 21dba for heat dissapation.

So really it's the setup within that's trapping all the heat :( 
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2008 11:18:52 AM

water cooling a possibilty or not?, otherwise get ure self some 100cfm 40db fans they will suck like you have never seen :D . i have a few spare if you want some. 120mm
November 4, 2008 1:57:02 PM

Best bet is to cut a hole in the side panel and put a 250mm fan or a 360mm if you have room. Some noise but very low pitched, not objectionable, at least not to me.
November 4, 2008 2:14:58 PM

When i get around to it im gonna build a case with much better airflow than anything you can buy at least among standard cases. Standard cases are laid out really bad for airflow. Nothing is finalized but it will prolly be a tall cube . first model with MB laying down. Two 360mm fans one intake, one Exhaust, at 90 degree angle with the vid card and hsf. Right angle adapters for dvi cables,rj45, etc. to get the exhaust fan close as possible.
Hard drives, psu in bottom so NO cable management problems. DVD burner in top with a Noctua 120mm exhausting at top.
The big fans will have a 12" tube in the middle to prevent turbulence and increase air speed.
Comments, suggestions? compliments? Curses? Flames?
November 4, 2008 2:17:38 PM

richardscott said:
water cooling a possibilty or not?, otherwise get ure self some 100cfm 40db fans they will suck like you have never seen :D . i have a few spare if you want some. 120mm


Bet my ex gf can beat them! :bounce: 
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2008 11:26:35 PM

lol but can she suck a golf ball down a hose pipe now thats suction lol :D .
November 4, 2008 11:43:27 PM

Well I have an old case that's why I'm left with these solutions but at that time this case does pretty well and I think it does pretty well overall even today. I have the Sunbeam Transformer case back in 2004 (It's almost 5 years!). I love it to bits though.
!