Usb hard disk not recognizes under XP

Harry in Sydney

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I did few backups using acronis from time to time under Vista and XP computers using Verbatim 1TB external hard drive via usb port.
But after the last back up (may be be I unplugged it without stopping) is is not recognized by Vista or XP.
Any help?
Thanks Harry

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Your usb interface is toast.... The hard drive is fine and the data is still there but the usb interface is toast.... windows does not know what it is or how to communicate via USB because the "descriptor" built into your interface is FRIED. You can take the drive casing apart and you will discover a hard drive inside that you can plug into a computer as secondary drive and pull the files off of it. You can also purchase an interface adaptor like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156101
Or just buy yourself an external hard drive case and put your drive into it. Just remember you cannot unplug the usb without disconnecting it thru winders.... :) or you will toat the new one as well…….

Harry in Sydney

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009

I have tried another USB cable under my XP and tried to connect the hard drive on other computer (vista) but the Windows explorer under XP or Vista does not recognise the drive letter and hence no access.

It is possible that Acronis might have locked it? How can I unlock it??

Is there any other solution except taking the device out and using the interface adaptor?

r_manic

Administrator
When you connect the hard disk to either computer, does that USB device arrow still show up? Or nothing appears at all?

If it's the former, you can check if your drive has been mounted through Windows Disk Management (Go to your desktop, press Windows Key + R, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press enter). Right-click on your hard disk and select Assign Drive Letter or something similar.

If it's the latter, I'm not sure what you can do, other than the hard drive enclosure test suggested by shabaa.