arctic silver adhesive

califmike2003

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Im a idiot i arctic silver adhesived down a heatsink to my southbridge chip, and its not where i want it, is there anyway to take off arctic silver adhesive ????????? is there a remover for it ?.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Try to twist it, not pushing down or pulling up. You dont want to bend the motherboard. Depending on how much you put it on will determine how hard it will be. They dont say the stuff is permanent for nothing.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
LOL, that stuff is used to clean chips once the HS has been removed.

Two ways to try and get it off. Put it in the freezer for an hour or so and twist it off. Second, use a hair dryer and get it nice and hot and twist again.

Ohh third... Get a can of compressed air, turn it upside down and spray the liquid right on the chip/HS/ bottom of the board. You'll use the can up fast, have gloves ready etc right away, it will be below 0 C for sure. Twist and hope.

califmike2003

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Wow thanks guys the alcohol works greatttt , was worried it wouldnt come off, i used a eyedropper and put some alcohol around it, and twisted it right off.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Really? Excellent. I thought that was like epoxy as the reviews on the AS5 site say and alcohol doesn't break down epoxy at all. But, epoxy on a smooth surface really doesn't hold up well to twisting etc, so I guess with gentle twisting it'll pop off easy enough.

Glad ya got it is what matters.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Electronic components soaking in water...

In theory, it would work as long as everything dried out (and let's say you used distilled water)...still not something I am willing to risk. Someone dunk their graphics card for a few hours and let me know how it turns out... :)