Sign in with
Your question

Benchmarks for 1000MHz vs 2600MHz Hyper Transport

Last response: in Motherboards
May 1, 2008 9:16:48 AM

I recently just built a new computer and switched from an old AMD system to the tried and true q6600, overclocked it easy and love it. However I recently talked my brother into buying the new 9850x4 Phenom because he had a motherboard that could still support it (ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - found here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). I have not played around with AMD for a long time though and would like some help.

I was just reading about the hyper transport 3.0 and the speeds ranging dramatically. Does anyone have some benchmarks of different hyper transport speed motherboards w/ the same hardware. I feel bad talking him into it without doing my homework but hey it wasnt my money. Now im trying to debate weather or not to go get him the (ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - found here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). (Although yes he would lose SLI and would have to do Crossfire and get new cards.)

Benchmarks would be very helpful, but informed speculation is ok if no benchmarks are known. We are gamers and like the new shooters etc but he likes to do video editing alot also.

1000MHz vs 2600MHz Hyper Transport ------ Huge difference or can I feel ok that I talked him into it? :D  Thank you for all your help.

(He had a 4200+ and upgrading to the Phenom increased his FutureMark 06 score by only about 700 points Currently he gets just shy of 12000 w/ the 8800 GT I had him get also, I am also wanting to overclock it for him --- what little it can, would if affect that at all?)
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2008 11:46:38 AM

There was an article on Toms a couple months ago about the new phenoms, the faster hypertransport, scaling, etc. On paper it all looks impressive, in real life it turns out a little disappointing. I don't remember all the details, just generally that there wasn't much to be impressed about. They were talking gains of like 5-7%, which is not exactly earth shattering.

Adding more cores doesn't help much ( 2 going to 4)unless the program you are using can make use of them. For gaming, unfortunately right now, most games will run the best on the processor with the fastest Ghz speed, not the most cores. A 3 Ghz dual core would be a better gamer than a 2.6ghz quad core.

An Intel Quad core will benchmark quite a bit better than a Phenom will, but that doesn't mean it will run Cyrsis better with an 8800gt than the Phenom does.
!