matsta31

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Hey,

I wanted to replace my northbridge heat sink cause it is getting hot, but to my surprise there is two chips under that sink ! The 2.0 something chip and the actual northbridge. Anyone knows if there is an actual aftermarket heatsink that could cover this 2 headed monster ? Can't find any....

Thanks, Really appreciated

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
yes that is correct

the 780i chipset is not pcei-e 2.0 - so how did they get it to 2.0? they added the extra chip.

the little chip to right is the pci-e 2.0 chip

yes - get a small heat sink and put it on it - you can get some from sidewinder have a few tiny and medium hs made for small parts around the cpu the mosfets and inductors

check the temp with your hand

if you have issues with stick, most have sticky pads, use artic thermal glue

matsta31

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Thank you, great answer,

Now, my only ''reliable'' way of saying it is hot is by touching it....

I cant seem to find an actual reading of the northbridge on speedfan. I mean, Speefan does find a lot of temperature sensor but how can I know wich one is the northbridge or southbridge. From what I understand there is no actual sensor embedded in the chip and the sensor is ''somewhere'' on the board.

Finally, I heard about putting some small heatsink on the mofsets, could it help if I want to push the voltage ?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I just ordered an Asus P5N-D 750i and an XFX 8800GT 512M.

your P5N-D is runnin hot? Did an optional NB fan come with the mobo? I have a spare NB fan that i can use, will that help? I also have a new Thermaltake Golden Orb and 2 nice new case fans i plan on runnin. Should i still need to worry about heat?

Are you losing performance due to the heat? like lower FPS in a game or something?

hammer09

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
did your golden orb fit ? ive just received a new custom built pc from dinopc i asked for a golden orb but received a thermaltake I1, so iwas guessing the orb wouldnt fit because the p5n-d 775 socket it close to the top of the case.core temps are ok 36 degrees vcore overclocked at 3.25ghz unloaded, but motherboard rises from 35 degrees to between 57-60 when gaming, with the supplied cooling fan installed.im thinking of bios update at mo to see if that helps also ordered extra fan for case window, im using antec 900 two case wich has 2 front intake 1 rear exhaust and a massive 300mm exaust at top of case, the air from the exhaust fans is always cool so im sure the cooling is good its just these mb temps i also want to address im hoping the new fan will help, going to check forums before bios update to see if its worth it.

hammer09

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
ive also reduced voltage currently at 1.2v and still stable so far this has cooled the chip too, so its just mortherboard left to sort reducing the voltage took 10c of the processor