two bit hit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I had a search through the forums, but all the relevent threads seemed to be out of date or no longer existing.

I bought my MSI P6N Platinum motherboard and I thought that it was fairly good until I realised that the SLI config was reduced to x8. The bandwitdth for just one card is x16. What does the bandwidth actually mean? Do I have to search for a load of x8 cards to run SLI?

What's the best option out there for me to get graphics card wise? I was looking at getting two 8800GTs, but they are x16 on the whole. The 9800GX2 is PCI-e 2.0, but I don't know if i can use it in the slots that I have, and I fear that my PSU is a little underpowered, especially when I read about needing a genuine 8 pin connector when mines a 6+2.

So, what I'd like to know is;
Can you only run GPUs in their specific card slots? (or do they get less efficient etc)
What is the best solution for me with a 22" 1680x1050 monitor and 1 x16 slot or 2 x8 slots?

Thanks in anticipation.

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Okay a PCI-E will work in a PCI-E no matter what the speed or 1.1 or 2.0 are. The x8 and x16 are the bandwidth speeds that it communicates at, but as long as its PCI-E it will work on any PCI-E slot

TRENDING THREADS