Sign in with
Your question

CHDSK kills clean xp install

Last response: in Windows XP
July 26, 2010 7:23:54 PM

Hello,
I installed xp on a clean formatted (by a sp3 installed disk during install) After I installed it I shut down and ran disk check it removed two entries, I was still able to boot into windows,

Then I shut down again and checked the disk from another hard drive installed with xp sp3. It found a huge amount of entries and deletes them, Then I cant boot to the hard drive anymore with out it say a bunch of files are missing.

Now I used DBAN to full erase that hard drive and then I reinstalled it again with my xp sp3 cd and a real valid license from my retail box (same one used before on the disk) and then I ran chdsk and it starts deleting pages of stuff again!

whats wrong?
July 27, 2010 12:05:48 AM

Hard drive dying?

You might feel inclined to get a better answer, by specifying the type computer, the hard drive make/model involved, and if you are aware of BIOS settings that can make a hard drive look like it's dying but really isn't.
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:22:41 AM

No i tested the hard drive with WD diagnostics and several hard drive testers and its still near 100%

m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2010 2:34:08 AM

Shadowraze said:
No i tested the hard drive with WD diagnostics and several hard drive testers and its still near 100%

Try reinstalling once more but don't run CheckDisk. There must have been a reason for doing it on the last fresh installation - what was it?.

m
l
July 27, 2010 2:50:37 AM

Shadowraze said:

Ping: saga lout

m
l
July 27, 2010 5:47:10 AM

Saga Lout said:

Try reinstalling once more but don't run CheckDisk. There must have been a reason for doing it on the last fresh installation - what was it?.

Just to make sure everything ran well. also because the first on got corrupted. i think I just figured out why the first install got corrupted, I mistakenly used a windows xp (no service packs) to install it, so it only installed to a 137gb partition, when I tried to re size it from another computer, and then boot to it I belive that caused the corruption

BUT the second time after using DBAN on the disk i then installed it with a xp sp3 disc, I checked it again but it STILL came up with a bunch of indexes and such that it deleted pages and pages of them.

also @Tigsounds: ??
m
l
July 27, 2010 6:51:20 AM

Thanks but I don't really need recovery, I did a fresh install. nothing was lost either time. I did not copy or migrate data yet, First I wanted to make sure the install was successful! Good thing I checked huh..
m
l
July 27, 2010 7:02:11 AM

Shadowraze said:
Thanks but I don't really need recovery, I did a fresh install. nothing was lost either time. I did not copy or migrate data yet, First I wanted to make sure the install was successful! Good thing I checked huh..

That's not for data recovery, quite the opposite. It is to initialize a hard drive, correctly.
m
l
July 27, 2010 4:11:41 PM

oh ok thank you, but what and how exactly do I need to use this and what was going wrong it the first place?
m
l
!