May 1, 2008 8:11:19 PM

Several problems with a new build. Spec:

MSI P7N SLI Platinum
Intel E8400
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
4x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800
150GB WD Raptor X
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R SATA (LH-20A1L-06)
2x eVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition (SLI)
- driver version: 6.14.11.6921 (latest on eVGA's site)
Corsair HX620W PSU
HP PSC2110 AIO
Win XP Pro SP2

I updated the BIOS from v1.0 to v1.1. The problems don't seem to change whether SLI is enabled or not.

Here's the problems I've observed:

1. I've had many crashes. I've had BSODs (it reboots before I see what .sys file is reported as the cause), freezes/hangs where I have to hard power off, and instant reboots (no hang or BSOD).

2. The RAM has EPP #1 400MHz 4-4-12-24-2T @ 2.2V and EPP #2 500MHz 5-5-5-15-30-2T @ 2.2V. The MB does not seem to find the EPP, even though CPU-Z does. The MB defaulted to CAS 5 at 1.9V. I had to manually set the timings and voltage to the EPP #1.

3. Lots of missing or wrong data in DualCoreCenter:
A) Temperature: NB, PS, Slave GPU, Master Board, and Slave Board report NA.
B) Fan: NB, Master GPU, Slave GPU report NA.
C) Fan: CPU fan RPM reports 1722 (speed 0/7) to 2722 (speed 7/7) but the fan is rated 900-2500 RPM. It is a 4-pin PWN control HSF.
D) Voltage: Master GPU, Slave GPU, Master Memory, Slave Memory report NA.
E) Clock: Slave GPU, Slave Memory, Master GPU Current, Slave GPU Current report NA.

4. The system clock loses around 30 to 60 minutes every day or two.

I'm pretty sure that #4 is a mobo problem. I'm not sure about #2; I've never had a mobo and RAM that was EPP/SLI, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. I expected that it would auto recognize the EPP profile, but it didn't. I don't know if #1 is from the mobo or something else. The missing info in #3 is a mystery to me; is it normal? Am I supposed to get more/correct info in it?

I haven't even installed any games yet, so I'm not overstressing it. I have not OC'd anything yet. CPU temps were 22-25 C, GPU temps were around 59 C.

I sent a tech support email to MSI and they said to RMA it. I'm RMA'ing back to newegg, but I really hope that I just had a bad motherboard, and the next one won't be the same way.

Any thoughts or suggestions? If any of that is normal, I'd appreciate that info as well. Thanks.

FYI, here were my 3DMark scores. Do they sound about right for that kit? Should there be so little difference between SLI and no SLI, and CL4 vs CL5 is really that meaningless?
3DM05 no SLI CL5: 19014
3DM05 SLI CL5: 20599
3DM05 SLI CL4: 20605
3DM06 no SLI CL5: 12154
3DM06 SLI CL5: 14569
3DM06 SLI CL6: 14643
May 20, 2008 8:40:05 AM

is your optical drive s-ata by chance? if so that is most likely causing your bsod's, use this update, but just install the updated media shield: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=23254

you should also check out this thread for a common error on all the 7 series boards: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65855

about the clock, mine did that at first, but it no longer does. not sure what i did to change it but the clock runs fine now.

i've read that the dual core center doesn't really do much for a gpu unless it is msi brand. but you shouldn't need it anyways.

about the memory clocking, i too had to set it my self. the timing and voltage.
the voltage is at a default 1.9 v and is easy enough to get to 2.2
the timings aren't hard to set, they also seem like just a preset more than an auto set
May 20, 2008 11:45:08 AM

Yes, my DVD-RW is SATA. I wound up RMA'ing the MSI board and buying the eVGA 750i FTW. I haven't had any problems with it yet, which was $200 vs $140.

Thanks for the info. The first link sounds like it's just for 680i boards, but the second one was good info. I'd read about it in the past and forgotten. I haven't really tried watching any videos since my build this past weekend. If I'm lucky I won't be affected....
May 20, 2008 9:31:44 PM

yes i know the first link IS for just the 680i boards, but the media shield update fixes the s-ata problem that the the 750i has.
i almost got the ftw too, but i had already ordered the msi when i saw it.
!