Badassery? Lanbox idea, check specs and tell me what you think:

Here's the link to the Newegg list. As soon as I get a spare $1000 in again, I'm considering building a lanbox:

I'll post the stats here as well. I personally like the config a lot particularly the case (which I don't plan on changing unless there's just an absolutely superb alternative). Keep in mind, this is all supposed to be MicroATX, and even though I don't care about budget much at all, I'm not interested in putting an Ultra and a QX6850 in here. I've also provided a poll to vote on my current config. I appreciate the votes and input. This is also to give other people ideas for game systems if they're on the fence about what to do.

I actually have the case as part of another system, and it's kick ass. And I've also used the 8800GT and the q6600, so I know they're quality. But it's the whole build together I'm looking at.

APEVIA X-QPACK2-RED/500 Black/ Red Aluminum Body/ Front Mask MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 500W Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B
5 answers Last reply
More about badassery lanbox idea check specs think
  1. Switch the mobo to ABIT P35-E:

Get a good known 450w+ psu such as Corsair/Earthwatts:

Do you need a Raptor?
  2. I'd say Raptor in a small cramped case is a no-no.

Not to mention that WD AAKS and Seagate 7200.10/11 offer similar performance...
  3. Definately get a quality brand PSU, but I'd likely go for the Earthwatts 500W or Corsair 520W if you plan on OCing that quad.
  4. Might want to get a heatsink for the Q6600. Nothing big, obviously, but something, nonetheless.
  5. Heatsink won't fit in that case, the standard size is all there's room for.

The case only fits Micro ATX and Baby AT, so that mobo is a no-go.

And I'd happily switch the raptor for a Seagate 500gb..

And I already have the case for another system, so I'm about to test out the PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product