Sign in with
Your question

Hard disk boot order problem

Last response: in Motherboards
May 1, 2008 9:25:11 PM

Until earlier today on my AB9 I've been running Vista 32bit on one harddisk.
Then I added a second hard disk (all SATA), which also has an old (but working) Windows XP installation on it.
Since then, when I start the computer it always boots into the XP installation, but not Vista, as want.
As the XP wasnt installed with Vista present, Vista's boot manager doesn't list XP.
I've tried swapping hard disk connectors around - no difference.
The "Hard disk boot order" in BIOS shows the disks, but grayed out, so I can't change anything.
When I boot Vista from the DVD and chose "Repair Windows installation" it detects the Vista installation and reports that no problem could be detected. Upon a restart however, this is the only time when it boots into Vista.

Any suggestions what I could try other than move the data on the XP drive (which would take ages - 400GB) and format it?
May 1, 2008 9:39:54 PM

what you need to do is alter the boot.ini file in your vista hdd.
as of current, it should read
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

i think you need to remake it to read
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

though i would make a copy of it just in case it doesn't work and then get a knoppix disk so you can put it on easily.
!