Increasing fan speed, power monitoring

itlog

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hello, so I recently bought a factory made computer and I want to make sure that it never overheats on me. I want to increase the fan speed on this PC; is it safe to do so? Any programs you guys can recommend?
Also, is there a way to know how much power this thing is consuming in any given time? Thank you very much for reading

itlog

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Well I tried using speedfan and it says : Temp1:85c with a burning icon in front of it.
...I'm pretty sure it's not the q6600, so I'm assuming it's the temp inside the case. However, I put a small fan outside the PC, in front of it actually, and 'temp1' isn't changing at all. What's the deal with that?
Anyone?

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Use the latest version of RealTemp for your temp readout, speedfan temps are wonky. http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
Go into the settings screen on RealTemp and set the TJ Max to 90 as per Intel specifications recently released.

itlog

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Thanks for your reply. I tried realtemp but it doesn't work for some reason. I'm using 64 bit vista btw. My current CPU temp is 50-48. Is that hot?

itlog

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
No, it's stock. I can't overclock this PC.
I really want to make this as cool as possible but without replacing the stock fan and hs... any ideas? I'm thinking of upping the fan speed using speedfan but i don't know if that'll shorten the lifespan of the fan or do something adverse to the system.