New build up for scrutiny

geh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Hi, here's my current selection of stuff for a new gaming and development system. One intended use is game modding, so I'll be building C++ code with games running in the background, launching games often etc.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 2x6MB 1333Mhz FSB LGA775 Processor

(Will have to wait for this). Four cores would be exellent :D

RAM: 2 x Corsair DDR2-667 2GB (2x1GB) XMS2 Twin2X Memory Module Kit (CL4)

I know 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 would be better, but the above seems much cheaper ATM and is one of the easy things to upgrade later.

Motherboard: Asus P5E X38 Motherboard w/A8 + LK + FWa + SATA2 RAID

Graphics: Asus EN8800GT TOP/G/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800GT 16xPCIE 256-bit 512MB DDR3 w/HDTV + 2DVI

(Will have to wait for this too). Seems to be decent price/performance.

Case: Antec Performance One P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower - Black - No PSU

These seem highly rated and popular. Should be roomy, though I'm not sure if the placement of the PSU at the bottom of the case will cause problems...?

CPU Heatsink: Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Heatsink
CPU Fan: 2 x Cooler Master R4-P2B-12AK 120mm PWM Fan

This might be overkill, but it will either mean I can get a quiet system or some overclock headroom. Fits the MB according to Thermalright, not sure about the case though. Anyone have any experience with this?

HD: Seagate 750GB Barracuda SATA300 32MB 7200RPM Hard Drive

This may be a bit big but $/GB and cache size is better than smaller drives.

PSU:

This is the component I have the least clue about. I'm not sure how powerful the PSU has to be for the above stuff, and it seems like cost/performance differ radically between brands. Some options I've looked at are:

- Enermax Liberty Power Supply - 500W
- Antec NeoHE 550 Power Supply - 550W
- Sea Sonic S12 Energy Power Supply - 550W
- Corsair HX620W Power Supply - 620W
- Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA Power Supply - 650W

These are all very similarly priced (equivalent to around $150) where I'm looking. Opinions?

DVD Drive: Sony DRU-840A

OS: Was planning to run 64 bit Vista, but I first have to find out how much it actually does suck.

I don't plan on running two graphics cards at any point, at most I'll pick up a new card in a year or two. I'm not really determined to do a hardcore OC, but I will no doubt see what I can get out of it at some point.

Just to double check my maths:
333MHz FSB
x 4 = 1333MHz CPU FSB,
x 2 = 667MHz RAM,

this gives a 1:1 CPU to RAM ratio correct?

I didn't want to be too long winded, but I was. Oh well. About to drop a bucket of cash on this, so I've given it a fair bit of thought, couldn't help unloading a bit, and I'd really like to be corrected if I'm thinking stupid stuff :).

uguv

Distinguished
If you're planning on overclocking the Q9450 you should probably get at least DDR2 800 rated RAM. I belive the multiplier on the Q9450 is pretty low meaning to get a decent overclock you're going to have to push the FSB speed pretty high (past the 333mhz you listed above). You'll want RAM that can handle a 1:1 ratio with a high FSB.

For power supplies I'm a big fan of PC Power & Cooling. The 610W unit can usually be found for a bit over $100. It isn't modular though, so if you're looking for modular the Corsair ones seem to be decent as well. Seasonic is a solid brand and makes the supplies for most of the high end models so you can't really go wrong with them either.

I've had no problems with Vista 64.

geh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
I should have mentioned I'm in South Africa, so while availability isn't terrible some kit isn't that easy to get hold of, and prices can be inconsistent.

Yeah, I did know that the RAM was the limiting factor for overclocking, but just couldn't resist the price for running a non-OC system. I'll look into it more, I think the issue is that I made that selection based on the slightly odd local pricing and availability. In fact I can find 1066 Dominator RAM for less than 800. Also, it seems easier to get lower latency 667 which I'm guessing will be better without overclocking? It might make sense to buy the cheap stuff and upgrade later when prices are better.

I haven't seen PC Power & Cooling stuff here, but I reckon I'll go with the Corsair 620 since I've been reading generally positive things. The 620 is apparently manufactured by Seasonic http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/371/1. Only issue is, the fan is on the bottom of the PSU, which goes at the bottom of the Antec case. It does look like the case has place for the hot air to escape though. Better than blowing hot air into the case I reckon...

Those are some damn good prices...I wish I could shop around like that :(

So, I'll assume that 600+w is enough and that my FSB calculations are correct (for stock speeds) since noone has corrected me...

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
wow... you're in South, hey? prices are jacked up that side... it's ridiculous... i dread to think how much my system would be if i'd had to build it back home...

geh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Yeah it's not the best place to buy a system, but overall the prices have been ok, it's just not that easy to shop around for good deals on parts. The build will come to around $2000, it's hard to tell how bad that is with the differences in disposable income and exchange rates swinging all over the place.