MX518 or G5 Mouse?

carman594

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Currently I have the Logitech MX518 and I love it. I used it so much for gaming that I wore out the feet at the bottom. I'm not sure if I should just get another MX518 or get the G5. I wouldn't be using a mousepad, just my desk (particleboard). MX518, G5, or something else?

carman594

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Do you use a mousepad? Does it work well without?

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I second the vote for a G5. I've had mine for a couple years now and use it directly on my desk, and it works great. Admittedly the weighting system is kind of gimmicky, but it's fun to play with for a while.

Word of warning though, if you have smaller hands, you might not like it. One of my friends of the female variety got one, and she thought it was crap beceause she couldn't find a comfortable position for her hand. Other than that, yeah, G5

carman594

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

I have huge hands. What is the "default" weight if there is 1?

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I got me a G5 to replace my MSoft mouse. It adds more comfort and 2 buttons on the side. I dont use the weights as they are useless to me. There is an advance option for setting speed on the fly which is nice, especialy when Im playing tf2 and need a more stable hand at sniping and can easily go back to faster scroll for shooting...etc

Overall its a very well built mouse thats justifies $55 I paid for it.

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
i also have the mx518 and the price for it can't be beaten either. $30 bucks at your local BestBuy how can one beat that?

i've heard good things about the g5 before so either way it's gotta be a win-win situation!

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
The "default" weight is simply however much the mouse weighs. It comes with a slide-in cartridge that you can add up to 8 small button-type weights (included). So, you can play with how much your mouse weighs. The weights come in a set of 16, split between 1.7g and 4.5 grams. You can use any combination, or you don't have to use them at all, it's possible to just slide the cartridge in empty. Like I said, it's fun to play with for a while, but I personally don't find it very.....important to my enjoyment of the mouse.

The other thing, like tekzor said is that I find it very well built. I'm a giant klutz, and I'm forever knocking it off the desk, and it just takes the hit and moves on.

carman594

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

So your saying, the mouse without weights is about the weight of the mx518?

I have not got to use a G5 but i do have the G9(since it was on sale for only 15$ for then a 518 i got it....) and MX 518.

On thing i have noticed is that all the laser(I have others but nothing worth mentioning here) mice work allot better on a solid surface and generally take some getting used to. Soft mouse pads did not work so well since the seem to pick up the weight of your own hand pressing down and cause some waving in lines(someone with a light touch may not have this issue). So if you are getting a laser either use your desk or a solid mousepad and clean the feet and pad often since they get dirty quite fast.

I would call it a very tough call on this one since i only use my mice at 800dpi anyway with the exception to a few games that i go higher. My personal preference is for a heavy mouse, but that because i had a MX700 for years and it's batteries made it heavy and i got used to that.

They are both very good mice. I just wanted to add my MX518 experience.

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
"So your saying, the mouse without weights is about the weight of the mx518?"

I....don't know. Having never used a 518 for any period of time, I really don't know. It could be close, or it could be lighter. *shrugs*

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

I don't, no, I use it directly on my desk. It's fine like that :)
With regard to the weights, I found it a little light with nothing in it (having used a mates G5) so loaded several weights in it when I bought it and then left it alone!

I use G5 mice on my desktop (has a mousepad) and laptop (may only have the side of my leg on a plane, or a tabletop at a relative's house), and it always tracks smoothly. Weight hasn't really been a factor. I've got 4x1.7g buttons in my desktop mouse, and none in the laptop mouse, as in that one the cartridge pops out too easily. That's a minor issue; if I needed it, I'd buy another.