overclocking a budget pc

lordhighhead

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
hi guys.. im planning to upgrade my current pc, a celly 430 running at 2.3 ghz (255 x 9) sitting on msi 945 mobo.. the mobo is not oc friendly and im planning to sit my cpu on a good one to push it to 3 ghz.. im looking at asus p5k se, asus p5k se/epu or gigabyte ga p31 ds3l.. which of these mobo's is the best when it comes to a budget pc that can push my celly to 3g..? which cooler is better, asus vr guard or gigabyte neon cooler to cool it down..? as i stated earlier, im on a tight budget.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks..

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
ong neither of those CPU coolers are good. hell the stock cooler you have right now is better then both of those.

whats your budget, whats your current temps?

third: why put money into pushing a celly 430 when at your current clocks can probably do what you need to do.

forth: what are you doing with this computer ?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
get a cheap dual and board with the stock cooler lol

i wouldnt bother the extra clocks wouldnt do much and ITS A CELERON!

btw as stated before those coolers suck LOL

lordhighhead

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
i live in philippines, say around $100 in us monetary... These are my only choices of good oc mobo's.. i'l use it for gaming, cod4, crysis, nfs pro street.. Even on low res0lution.. i bet i need a new cpu cooler, my idle temp right now is 50 and 68 at full (prime95 & orthos)..Pretty hot.. can gigabyte p31 push my celly.. Anywy, this is my dads rig and we plan to play on lan...

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well i dont have any personal experience with ocing celerons (altho there is one in my dads Acer LOL), but i would guess they would get extremely hot... imo just get the cheapest intel dual and overclock the **** out of it

Of the three motherborads you list, I would probably chose the ASUS P5K SE/EPU.
The P35 chipset is a bit better than the P31 and the SE/EPU looks to have a little better voltage regulation than the SE edition.

I have no experience with the coolers you list but the ASUS one looks to be quite a bit better.
Try looking for a known good cooler like the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or the Xigmatek 1283.
In reality, even the stock cooler should let you take your CPU to 3.0Ghz with out to many issues.
The Conroe arch is pretty efficient and cool.

On another note, I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading to a dual core CPU like an E2180 over upgrading your motherboard.
Especially since you are trying to play newer games, you really need the second core working.
Although the inexpensive E2180 is still only running at 2.0Ghz stock, you can easily bump it to 2.55Ghz with your motherboards limited 255Mhz FSB limit. It will undoubtedly give you better performance than a single core @ 3Ghz.
Take a look at Tom's latest article regarding single core gaming Here.

lordhighhead

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks for the advices.. i'll stick with my celly & squeeze it (wanna try oc'ing so a celly will do & try new games with it).. i'm still a student so budget is a big deal.. Anyway, my stock co0ler sucks, it doesn't even have a copper core & its half the size of the typical intel hsf.. i have read in a forum that "gigabyte neon cooler" uses the same heatsink as intel stock hsf with copper core, it only differs with its light blue fan.. Pretty co0l for the eyes.. Lol..

lordhighhead

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks for the advices.. i'll stick with my celly & squeeze it (wanna try oc'ing so a celly will do & try new games with it).. i'm still a student so budget is a big deal.. Anyway, my stock co0ler sucks, it doesn't even have a copper core & its half the size of the typical intel hsf.. i have read in a forum that "gigabyte neon cooler" uses the same heatsink as intel stock hsf with copper core, it only differs with its light blue fan.. Pretty co0l for the eyes.. Lol..

lordhighhead

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
btw.., my celly is pretty weird... When idle, the multi kicks in 6x and when full load kicks in 9x.. Wow..! My celly has eist.. Lol... Does the c1e have something to do in lowering the multi..? i thought that c1e lowers only the voltage at idle... i'l post the pic when i got myself online using a pc & not my crappy phone...